Most Under Appreciated Star in a Canes’ Uni

Ted Hendricks only seems to be only under rated by UM fans. Just look at all those polls on here about UM's greatest edge rusher and he not even mentioned.

Ask most outside the program particularly those that played against him (e.g., Spurrier ) he's the first one mentioned. They even gave him his own reward.
No doubt about Ted. He’d be an AA today.

I appreciate the stars of the championship era; but won’t forget those guys from the 60’s and 70’s that excelled on average teams in an era with much less media coverage.

Advertisement
I always thought Kenny Phillips was underrated here. Subjective. Being a massive recruit and all I get the expectations but also think he suffered a bit with us being so spoiled at the position with two of the greatest to ever play it

CMac was another one
Phillips never developed into a ballhawk like Reed and Taylor. Still, late 1st round pick, SB ring on the NYG. Solid NFL player. Good choice.

Was going to add CJ Richardson and Bubba McDowell, but was beaten to them by other posters.

Chris T. Jones was under appreciated at WR. Sadly, his QBs were Costa and Collins.

Other WRs I’d name would be Andre Brown (‘88), Wesley Carroll (‘89-90) and Dale Dawkins (‘88-89). They don’t get the love like Eddie Brown, Irvin, Wayne, Moss, or Dre but they are three of the guys Walsh and Erickson threw to from 1988-90 when Miami went 32-4 with a near-miss NC, a NC, and the Cotton Bowl Massacre.

Last edited:
Advertisement
In your opinion. It would have been a toss up. Jim was also a darn good pro as well.
Cortez Kennedy is in Canton. Russell Maryland was even more dominant in college, consensus AA, won the Outland Trophy and UPI lineman of the year, is in the CFB HOF, and was the No. 1 overall pick in the NFL draft. Burt was undrafted coming out of Miami. Yes, he had a good nfl career, and respect him, but this is silly.

Old timers edition:

No one ever mentions Gary Dunn. Very good interior DL at UM, went on to 12 year Steelers career; played next to Mean Joe Green; was captain of 2 superbowl title teams. Also second generation UM, IIRC.

Also: Eddie Edwards, Dennis Harrah, Chuck Foreman, Don Bosseler

Advertisement
For me reading the op’s post it would be guys like Markise Fitzgerald, Darren Krein, Darryl Spencer, Howard Clark, Maurice Crum, Kenny Looez and the list rolls on. These guys were stars here just not all american types for the most part but huuuuuge contributors.

Semper Canes!!!

Looking at these classic games of THE REAL U, had me thinking who don’t we give enough credit to while being an absolute star donning the Orange & Green.

Imo, imma have to go Clinton P. We always seem to talk about McGahee, Gore, Duke, but I don’t think we truly give Portis his just due. Dude was a str8 beast, and was a bell-cow at slight frame. If he stayed in Denver, brody might have put up 12k+ as a NFL back, too.

But what say u ladies & gents; who do u feel was an under appreciated “star” while here? Again, not role players, but star.
Matt Walters and it’s not even close

Advertisement
Advertisement
This is still the Craziest MFer to step on Greentree....That 99 team had some Bad dudes....I'm talking Toughest of the Tough....not ONE of them would F with Nate....Dude was a Loose Cannon...but I loved him...6'0 240lbs of Ruthlessness....
399600.jpg

Ken Dorsey! Some people here would have you believe that anyone with a pulse at QB could've done what he did, which is straight up BS! Did Kenny Kelly do what he did? Did Brock? Both had very similar talent around them and none of them got close. And both were highly touted QBs coming out of high school. GO CANES!!!

Ken Dorsey! Some people here would have you believe that anyone with a pulse at QB could've down what he did, which is straight up BS! Did Kenny Kelly do what he did? Did Brock? Both had very similar talent around them and none of them got close. GO CANES!!!
Anyone could qb that team. It was like grabbing a bama qb now. Anyone can qb bama

Advertisement
Back