Most explosive Miami rb ever?

Portis broke more long runs than any back ever at the U.
willy MAC would be next.
6 aint in the convo
Freshman year Gore is up there.
This is not factual, Duke Johnson broke longer runs and Travis homer broke more too than Portis did actually if you look at the numbers.. Lamar Miller was a more explosive runner imo between him and Portis. I never said Miller was the most explosive rb in Miami history but he does have a strong case imo. And that’s a laughable comment that miller isn’t in the convo, dont just think nostalgically about this

Last edited:
Advertisement
No he didn't....OJ Anderson broke wayyyy more long runs...not even close...Go watch OJs UM Highlights on YouTube (the one narrated by Jim Martz and Lou Saban) his run to beat the Gators in 78 is Historical...Ran over and through 6 Gators)
born in 78
I remember OJ in pros With giants, recall him being a big bruiser.

This is not factual, Duke Johnson broke longer runs and Travis homer broke more too than Portis did actually if you look at the numbers.. Lamar Miller was a more explosive runner imo between him and Portis. I never said Miller was the most explosive rb in Miami history but he does have a strong case imo. And that’s a laughable comment that miller isn’t in the convo, dont just think nostalgically about this
Show me the numbers.

Travis homer get the **** out of here. Duke too. Ain’t close to long runs busted by Portis .

Advertisement
Portis had the speed (4.2) and instincts which made him a game breaker. McGahee too. Miller had speed and little Wiggle or instincts. Duke had wiggle, avg speed . Travis had straight line speed and toughness , never was considering a game breaker here. Duke either.

Portis had the speed (4.2) and instincts which made him a game breaker. McGahee too. Miller had speed and little Wiggle or instincts. Duke had wiggle, avg speed . Travis had straight line speed and toughness , never was considering a game breaker here. Duke either.
Portis was NOWHERE near a 4.2....C'mon man....Miller would leave Portis like he had concrete boots on....

He had lots of qualities you need in an RB, for sure.

Built like a bowling ball with legs, very powerful and low to the ground.

Amazing vision and knew what to do with it and where to go.

Just wasn't a breakaway threat like a McGahee or Portis, for example.

But he wasn't slow, either - just not a burner.

Incredible career and will be a 1st ballot guy in the HOF.

never saw his posted times , but that run as FR. have never seen a UM back take off that fast

Advertisement
Freshman Gore gets my vote...dude was doing all sorts of amazing **** on the field. You wonder how much better he would have been without the knee injuries...dudes an ageless wonder with bad knees now.

That's cause Butch learned under JJ. That's what happens when ur head man has professional standards and experience. They establish coaching trees etc. What tree you think we'll have now. Lol I envision a dead garden. But anyways he should have had 3. First one two players weren't on board with that let's just say. One in particular earned his bread. South bend we just got blatantly cheated out of. Personally I don't put any of those on JJ.
JJ was the man no doubt, but he did get out coached by Majors in the Sugar Bowl and then jo pa used exact same defense the next year and JJ wasn't ready for it. Vinny was throwing to the open man but it was usually a lion -- that happens when you drop three. I was at the ND game and I don't really blame JJ for that one, the fix was in. But he did kick to Rocket one time to many. Still, I agree that one NC and a monster program was legacy enough. If he has stayed, I suspect he wins at least two of the next three and there is no drop off like we saw because he and Butch would have kept recruiting.

Once thing JJ did I did not like was invite other coaching staffs to Miami camps. Our old QB, Don James learned way to much from those and caused us trouble later. Still, JJ is a god. JJ and Butch were masters of finding great staff. Both grew NFL HC in big numbers. I can't think of any since Butch's staff. A few lateral moves and now some get picked up because of So Fl recruiting ties not coaching powers. You know the tree by its fruit. Our HC have yielded dead fruit.

Advertisement
JJ was the man no doubt, but he did get out coached by Majors in the Sugar Bowl and then jo pa used exact same defense the next year and JJ wasn't ready for it. Vinny was throwing to the open man but it was usually a lion -- that happens when you drop three. I was at the ND game and I don't really blame JJ for that one, the fix was in. But he did kick to Rocket one time to many. Still, I agree that one NC and a monster program was legacy enough. If he has stayed, I suspect he wins at least two of the next three and there is no drop off like we saw because he and Butch would have kept recruiting.

Once thing JJ did I did not like was invite other coaching staffs to Miami camps. Our old QB, Don James learned way to much from those and caused us trouble later. Still, JJ is a god. JJ and Butch were masters of finding great staff. Both grew NFL HC in big numbers. I can't think of any since Butch's staff. A few lateral moves and now some get picked up because of So Fl recruiting ties not coaching powers. You know the tree by its fruit. Our HC have yielded dead fruit.
I agree with everything you're saying but since majors JJ did learn. What Vinny did had nothing to do with JJ or the OC. Vinny was throwing to who HE was supposed to at those moments. I know to most that sounds a lil crazy. But Vinny was all about Vinny. He was a gambler if you can see the irony in that.

Advertisement
But he did. I was lucky enough to be at one of the most ridiculously talented pro days in history . Portis was making dudes look slow in the league too. tons of long runs. Comparing miller duke and homer to the game breaking skills of portis or Wmac is a sin. Repent.
Just cause they had speed don’t make them a game breaker. Lamar had average cadeer at the u. Duke got slower and worse after frost year thanks to S @C.
Those dudes weren’t elite.

Advertisement
Back