Most explosive Miami rb ever?

Especially with LBers....He knew he had to have LBers who thrived East and West....No more 6'3 255lb LBers...with limited East West mobility....He knew he'd most likely have to face the Wishbone/Veer Option type offense's in a NC game where Fast LBers were paramount at that time.
No question JJ killed those but I would think they would work well against today's spreads and hurry up offenses too. Of course that assumes we had classic Cane DTs too. Need that destruction in the middle to take max advantage of speed.

Advertisement
This dude McGahee was pretty decent here. Not the same speed as Lamar but the speed Willis had with the power- ****

Just watching that clip makes me realize how un-explosive we have been over the past 20 years or so. Yeah Dorsett, Coley and a few guys had glimpses, but that was the norm back in our prime years.

Just watching that clip makes me realize how un-explosive we have been over the past 20 years or so. Yeah Dorsett, Coley and a few guys had glimpses, but that was the norm back in our prime years.
True. Lamar and Dorsett come to mind. Lingard had the potential.

Advertisement
I agree Explosiveness imo is more than just elite speed, Lamar Miller was fast in college but not explosive. He got tackled soon as the wind blew more times than not.

Compared to Willis McGahee and it’s no comparison, they both had one season as the guy in the backfield but Lamar only finished with 9 rushing TDs compared to McGahee’s 28 TDs. Not even close.

Right. And, I appreciate the different views.

If "explosiveness" amounts to speed and acceleration (according to your and D$'s definitions), why not just leave it narrow (calling it fast with the ability to accelerate)? Why abstract it to another term? To me, that's an indicator the term is really a composite of some of the things you mentioned and I labeled earlier (speed/acceleration + short area pop and so on).

Ah well. If some are defining it as merely speed/acceleration, I've already mentioned Lamar may be the fastest RB we've ever had.

Good point.

I would say because the fastest guys are not always necessarily running by the defense. But when I think about it that creates a contradiction to my previous post because it takes more than being fast to make explosive plays and I described some of those traits as not my definition of explosive.

It comes down to the difference between track fast and football field fast. There are many guys who are track fast who don’t make explosive plays on the field. They are never referred to as explosive because they don’t “explode”.

However giving that logic one can argue that when a power back breaks a tackle or trucks a guy that he was “explosive”.

The argument on what explosion mean is just as interesting as debating the most “explosive” back.

I agree 100%, Portis had waaaaaay more instinct than McGahee & Miller.

If Portis catches that screen against FSU He houses it instead of getting caught from behind like McGahee.

Lastly, to rank Miller & Homer ahead of Portis is literally laughable.

Portis was a complete back IMO. He had the wiggle and the speed to do everything. He's not as fast as Miller but he's pretty close.

Advertisement
No question JJ killed those but I would think they would work well against today's spreads and hurry up offenses too. Of course that assumes we had classic Cane DTs too. Need that destruction in the middle to take max advantage of speed.
The thing jj did better than any coach in the country(compliments of Butch)was we evaluated talent better than anyone in the country. We'd find elite football players regardless of position or rankings and fit them in to the system at any position that worked for the unit. We'd put ends and dts at te,lb,ol and interchange them anywhere in between. Only positions jj recruited specifically for that position was QBs and corners. When you have a elite staff that can competently evaluate and develope your kids you can get real innovative with the things you are able to do.

The thing jj did better than any coach in the country(compliments of Butch)was we evaluated talent better than anyone in the country. We'd find elite football players regardless of position or rankings and fit them in to the system at any position that worked for the unit. We'd put ends and dts at te,lb,ol and interchange them anywhere in between. Only positions jj recruited specifically for that position was QBs and corners. When you have a elite staff that can competently evaluate and develope your kids you can get real innovative with the things you are able to do.
Had he just known how to coaching a frigging bowl game when he got here he would have won three NCs instead of one out of his first four years. Lost to two very experienced HCs who were no where near his equal in any other aspect. Got cheated in South Bend but might have given a thought to NOT licking to Rocket. Great point about staff. Him and Butch both had staffs that spun off NFL HCs.

Advertisement
Had he just known how to coaching a frigging bowl game when he got here he would have won three NCs instead of one out of his first four years. Lost to two very experienced HCs who were no where near his equal in any other aspect. Got cheated in South Bend but might have given a thought to NOT licking to Rocket. Great point about staff. Him and Butch both had staffs that spun off NFL HCs.
That's cause Butch learned under JJ. That's what happens when ur head man has professional standards and experience. They establish coaching trees etc. What tree you think we'll have now. Lol I envision a dead garden. But anyways he should have had 3. First one two players weren't on board with that let's just say. One in particular earned his bread. South bend we just got blatantly cheated out of. Personally I don't put any of those on JJ.

While you can't go wrong with miller for sure, the most explosive in my opinion was frank gore pre-injuries, when I first saw him run I said way back when, he's the best runningback at UM of all time. After him, I got duke and an argument can be made for danyell ferguson, but miller is on the list!
Gore had super speed and could get there in a mili second, saw him "house" a TD before knee issues ran away easily, have not seen anything close to that till i saw H.Ruggs from Bama this year

Advertisement
Gore never, ever had "super" speed.

No faster than 4.5 including his freshman year.

We've had loads of RBs faster than him, but perhaps none better - especially if he had 2 knees. Or even 1.

Gore had super speed and could get there in a mili second, saw him "house" a TD before knee issues ran away easily, have not seen anything close to that till i saw H.Ruggs from Bama this year

Gore never, ever had "super" speed.

No faster than 4.5 including his freshman year.

We've had loads of RBs faster than him, but perhaps none better - especially if he had 2 knees. Or even 1.
never saw his posted times , but that run as FR. have never seen a UM back take off that fast

Portis broke more long runs than any back ever at the U.
willy MAC would be next.
6 aint in the convo
Freshman year Gore is up there.
No he didn't....OJ Anderson broke wayyyy more long runs...not even close...Go watch OJs UM Highlights on YouTube (the one narrated by Jim Martz and Lou Saban) his run to beat the Gators in 78 is Historical...Ran over and through 6 Gators)

Advertisement
Back