Most explosive Miami rb ever?

Advertisement
I recognize I'd be crazy to say it but Frank and Troy were closest things I've seen with my own two eyes to Barry Sanders. Each had their own reasons to not maintain that path. But with both of watch their movements and be shook as a defender. Was glad to play with Frank and was glad Troy couldn't get into fspoo with Lamont. I obviously mean just their movements etc. Not necessarily running styles.

No one will ever convince me that Barry Sanders isn’t the GOAT rb in history. HOWEVER, I will argue a healthy Frank could have snatched that crown...

Not at all crazy to say it. Gore’s third all time rushing in nfl after 3 acls. The pre-injury gore actually did some things better than barry because he hit forward quicker. Now barry, by his junior year, we know what he became. But gore without injury, not sure he doesn’t own the record book.

other guy who left me amazed was marshall faulk. Best athlete i ever saw at rb.
Yep. I look at guys like that, especially Gore pre-injury, as another level of explosiveness. Gore would cut across multiple gaps in a blink, bust through an arm tackle, accelerate, and run toward the corner. Still did a good amount of it after the injuries. The year he ran for almost 1700 yards for the 49ers had a bunch of examples of explosiveness.

Regardless, Portis had better instincts & was more explosive & faster ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD than Miller.
He was not faster on the field, but they were both fast af and Portis definitely had better instincts

Willis td vs Pitt. Reminiscent of Marcus Allen’s td in the super bowl(Raider Nation stand up). Willis for the win, most explosive

Advertisement
Erickson was gunning for Bowden. Apparently Bowden said something about Erickson that really angered him. I don't know what it was but I used to hear stories about it. It happened after Dennis' first season. Erickson said he was going to kick FSU's *** from one end of the stadium to the other. He did so.

Dennis was not that kind of fiery personality but Bowden really ****ed him off. I never found out what it was.

And maybe Najeh should have been on that list but for injury.

I've never heard that before, very interesting. Someone needs to pin Dennis down and find out. This sounds like it should be a permanent part of Hurricanes lore.

You've missed my point or are intentionally misrepresenting it. Either way, I think your definition is too narrow and makes less sense when you have to abstract two similar things speed/acceleration up to something else ("explosiveness"). I think the term requires more characteristics, but we're repeating ourselves. I responded to another poster who included you in a comment. I already figured where our back and forth would go.

I agree that the definition of explosiveness would be too narrow/limiting if you are forced to abstract similar things like speed & acceleration. I think power definitely needs to be accounted for in this equation, and that's why I believe Willis is the most explosive RB in program history. To run 4.4 at **** near 235 lbs is an impressive feat even for today's players.

Advertisement
I've never heard that before, very interesting. Someone needs to pin Dennis down and find out. This sounds like it should be a permanent part of Hurricanes lore.
I don't know why but I remember when Dennis was recruiting me he was always so late back but when fspoo rolled around you could tell he hated Bowden. He was intense that week

I don't know why but I remember when Dennis was recruiting me he was always so late back but when fspoo rolled around you could tell he hated Bowden. He was intense that week

I'll never forget the video of him in 91 getting off the bus and waiving his arms like a wild man. The guy was fired up!

Advertisement
That 90 game against FSU, he was a Man amongst boys....and those FSU teams were loaded...

He was the reason why Miami beat FSU in WW1. Down 16-7, last two possessions, 'the Brooklyn Bruiser' carried UM.

The next week he blows out his knee at Chestnut Hill vs BC. Claude Jones told me that the air went out of the team on the sideline as he was being carried off.

People sleep on Edge's speed but he ran a 4.38 at the combine.

He wasn't a pure blazer due to his sheer size, but he was an absolute workhorse back & had the best running gait of any UM back I've ever seen.

McGahee was the most explosive IMO, but Edge was the most complete back, his combination of power, speed & balance was special.

Edge had the best balance of any UM back Ive ever seen, thick lower base that guys would just bounce off of as they tried to tackle him, and great feet

Advertisement
Still, as I said, OJ himself claimed only a 4.6. That was his rookie year, 1979.

There were not as many super fast times back then, I suspect.
Probably true. Seems to me real speed came to Canes only after JJ got here. Howard added speed because of the areas he opened of to recruiting. JJ seemed more dedicated to finding speed.

Probably true. Seems to me real speed came to Canes only after JJ got here. Howard added speed because of the areas he opened of to recruiting. JJ seemed more dedicated to finding speed.
Especially with LBers....He knew he had to have LBers who thrived East and West....No more 6'3 255lb LBers...with limited East West mobility....He knew he'd most likely have to face the Wishbone/Veer Option type offense's in a NC game where Fast LBers were paramount at that time.

Advertisement
Back