Most explosive Miami rb ever?

Advertisement
Can’t forget Edge.

I forgot how **** fast he was.

I always remembered how he hit the hole hard, broke a million tackles, and NEVER got pushed backwards.

But he could FLY. Rewatched his highlights and he would outrun guys who had the angle on him. You underestimate just how explosive he was because his stride was so smooth and easy.

Also, a lil off topic but you reminded me of someone when you said earlier speed got slept on, you know who's speed really surprised me:

* Scroll down to: Professional Career

So the phins couldnt have used an RB with 4.3 ypc with a chance to change the game with one carry. It’s not like 4.3 is chopped liver anyway

4.3 for a career is all time level production.

Only two guys averaged 5ypc (Jim Brown and Barry Sanders).

Many all time greats average under 4.

If Lamar played in the 80s or 90s he would have huge numbers. Running backs are much less productive now in the modern game for a variety of reasons.

Simply put, you don’t let guys like Lamar Miller just walk out the door.

Watch the video and then get back to me. It's 17 straight minutes of long explosive runs. The guy is making moves to get himself to the open field that guys like mcgahee, Miller, or Homer simply couldn't do.

Miller has Portia beat on pure explosive speed, but there is much more to the position. Portis’ Vision and agility were on another level and WAY out of Lamar’s league.

When you can see the hole and instantly move laterally into open space, it makes you look faster than you are running away from the crowd.

Advertisement
He's my favorite RB in school history.

McGahee, Gore, Portis, James Jackson & Duke are all close as well love them, but Edge was just my personal favorite.

Guys like Albert Bentley, Highsmith, Melvin Bratton, Cleveland Gary etc, we're all great too, but I was pretty much a baby for most of their time at Miami so I didn't really get to see them during their heyday.

Edge was our light at the end of the tunnel after the dark days of probation.

He will always be my favorite running back for what he did to help us get turned back in the right direction.

Your comments assume your definition of explosiveness is some kind of accepted notion. You then use your belief to say "explosiveness" is the reason he's had success he's had. I'd say it's speed and acceleration.

I question anyone's "explosiveness" when they're mainly just fast and can accelerate. So your "nobody would question" is simply false. You define explosiveness narrowly. To be clear, it's your definition. You made it up. Like I have mine - which is broader. I think it makes more sense to call your examples "fast" and my more comprehensive characteristics placed under the broader "explosiveness" category, but like I've said twice now, it's up to how we define it.

I don't see how someone who could barely get started unless there was a clear path was as "explosive" as some other guys who could do more. Are guys like Miller and Spiller capable of explosive plays? Sure. They're really fast. Being fast leads to some explosive plays. Are they capable of getting tripped up by a finger? We've seen that countless times. Can they explode through a tackler in short yardage? Nah. Can they pop through a crowded space and breakout? Not as often. Lamar's explosive because two of the characteristics I consider necessary for "explosiveness" are elite, but he still falls outside of my Top 5.

I agree with Dmoney’s definition.

It’s the speed and acceleration a guy has on the field in full pads. We use the term explosiveness to describe a big yardage play, but that is not the only criteria I use when considering explosiveness as a trait.

I consider power what a guy does when contact is made.

Shiftiness is the ability to change direction in a crowd.

Agility is the ability to move laterally.

Power, shiftiness, agility, and vision lead to explosive plays, but personally, that isn’t how I define the trait.

Looking at posts in this thread, it seems many see it differently, and that’s cool. Words always take on a definition specific to our perspective.

Perspective.

D’Andre Swift, widely regarded the top RB in the Draft and a 1st round pick:

5’9” 216 lbs, 4.48 40

Willis McGahee:

6’0” 235 lbs, 4.45 40.

McGahee was a beast post-injury. Pre-injury was a rare combination of violence and speed out of the backfield.

Advertisement
Theres really only one choice here.....

Miami+v+South+Florida+-lNsLutpcZ7x.jpg
Jevarris James?

Edge is the best RB in UM history imo His speed was effortless and consistent, so it looked like he wasn't really blazing, but he was turning defenders all day.

Ppl, a lot of ppl forget how great Edge was. Man we had a run on RBs for a minute, didn’t we? Edge, Jackson, Portis, McGahee, Gore, Miller, Duke? Sheesh.

Anyways back to Edge; Edge was so good, that the Colts were willing to trade arguably the greatest dual RB in NFL history in Marshall Faulk (Who SHOULD’VE been a Cane), for him. Edge set the league ablaze as soon as he touched down.

So happy he got his call to Canton, b/c for a period of 4-5 yrs of his career, he was the best RB in da league. Just wish he would’ve got that ring, even though The Colts gave him an honorary SB ring.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I agree with Dmoney’s definition.

It’s the speed and acceleration a guy has on the field in full pads. We use the term explosiveness to describe a big yardage play, but that is not the only criteria I use when considering explosiveness as a trait.

I consider power what a guy does when contact is made.

Shiftiness is the ability to change direction in a crowd.

Agility is the ability to move laterally.

Power, shiftiness, agility, and vision lead to explosive plays, but personally, that isn’t how I define the trait.

Looking at posts in this thread, it seems many see it differently, and that’s cool. Words always take on a definition specific to our perspective.
Right. And, I appreciate the different views.

If "explosiveness" amounts to speed and acceleration (according to your and D$'s definitions), why not just leave it narrow (calling it fast with the ability to accelerate)? Why abstract it to another term? To me, that's an indicator the term is really a composite of some of the things you mentioned and I labeled earlier (speed/acceleration + short area pop and so on).

Ah well. If some are defining it as merely speed/acceleration, I've already mentioned Lamar may be the fastest RB we've ever had.

Advertisement
Back