Most explosive Miami rb ever?

Not this again. I doubt he was faster than Miller who also Ran in low 10.7 range in the 100m and ran a 4.34 40 at the combine
That 100-meter dash champion from Texas....what was his name. During either ****er or Shannon's time. Never did much here but he had some real 100-meter times. Better than 10.7 I think. Probably our fastest RB ever, just a guess.

Not Tory who was probably fastest Cane ever, around 10.1-10.2. (Not a RB).

Two blazing Texans who had disappointing Canes careers.

Advertisement
That 100-meter dash champion from Texas....what was his name. During either ****er or Shannon's time. Never did much here but he had some real 100-meter times. Better than 10.7 I think. Probably our fastest RB ever, just a guess.

Not Tory who was probably fastest Cane ever, around 10.1-10.2. (Not a RB).

Two blazing Texans who had disappointing Canes careers.
Shawnberry McNeal..yeah I remember he broke one vs GT in the orange bowl in 07..I was in the 7th grade..all I remember is think wtf he chose to wear 33 lmao

he was up there, for sure.

but Ottis Anderson would like to have a word with you.

size/speed, he may have been about as explosive as any when he was at UM.
For his time. Ottis was a 4.6 guy. I remember him saying that during his sensational rookie season with the St. Louis Cards.

He wasn't a blazer like Miller. But he was bigger than most of the backs under discussion. And I remember UM people saying in the 70's that O.J. Anderson had a unique way of cutting that enabled him to cut without planting and shifting weight. I was in law school when I read that, around '78-9, and I described it to a law schoolmate who had started at MG an ACC school as an undergraduate. He knew exactly what I was talking about and said that a runner had to have exceptional leg strength to do that.

Anderson probably didn't have the blazing sprinter's speed of some of the more recent backs, but he was fast enough for his era. I think 4.6 guys were pretty fast for the '70's.

Our O.J. burst on the scene in '79, I think. He exploded against the Cowboys in his opening game. Everybody was wondering, "Who is this guy?" He was of special interest to the Washington media...I think the St. Louis Cards were a division rival to the Redskins. The Washington Post had a feature story on its front sports page about Anderson. And he was a totally obscure RB from a mediocre UM program.

I believe it was Bobby Beathard, a personnel guru with the Redskins at the time, who said O.J. Anderson was the best RB to come into the league since the other OJ.

There’s not one rb In miami’s history that would “roast” Lamar Miller... get real 😂
Brock sometimes you gotta just believe the people that know first-hand better. Not many players we've ever had that froggy wouldn't roast in a 40 or a hundred. Especially if it's not stacked against him. Head up he was running 4.2s Lamar ain't never been fast like that.

Advertisement
Goodness, making me think back to all the unmentioned RBs..Leonard Conley was a package of dynamite, Cleveland Gary was so versatile, Jackson explosive, HIghsmith powerful, Doug McGee Csonka like....Of course the ones mentioned deserve EXPLOSIVE but having seen so many Duke was exceptional but still hard to pick a GOAT.
If you're going as far back as Spaceman you may as well go back to Bosseler and Frank Smith, although one might not describe them as "explosive" but they were great backs.

People sleep on Edge's speed but he ran a 4.38 at the combine.

He wasn't a pure blazer due to his sheer size, but he was an absolute workhorse back & had the best running gait of any UM back I've ever seen.

McGahee was the most explosive IMO, but Edge was the most complete back, his combination of power, speed & balance was special.
Compare it to O.J.Anderson.

I was in the Horseshoe for that. Not the greatest Cane RB for me but **** that kid had speed beyond speed. Like some many position at Miami, it si hard to pick a greatest. My mind still has images of OJ back in the day before the day. Young Otis was fast my friends and then became load after the wheels slowed. Still, so many greats.
Still, as I said, OJ himself claimed only a 4.6. That was his rookie year, 1979.

There were not as many super fast times back then, I suspect.

Advertisement
The article I listed Which had all official 40 times from Miami players had him at 4.34
F0D5511C-03BA-4498-8353-CE9F6F20B263.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
Shawnberry McNeal..yeah I remember he broke one vs GT in the orange bowl in 07..I was in the 7th grade..all I remember is think wtf he chose to wear 33 lmao
Researched Shawnbrey who finished his career at SMU. He apparently went to combine and ran 4.5. Same on his pro day. Yet, he supposedly ran a 10.5 100 meters in HS. You'd think that fast on 100 four years younger would result in a faster 40 but maybe there's not that kind of correlation. Or maybe he got bigger and slower and/or stopped training for track.

I wonder how many of these really fast football players at UM run track. Some of the could probably help the track team. I would think sprint training would help their football speed.

I also wanted to add that I am extremely explosive myself. Ask my bathroom.

Researched Shawnbrey who finished his career at SMU. He apparently went to combine and ran 4.5. Same on his pro day. Yet, he supposedly ran a 10.5 100 meters in HS. You'd think that fast on 100 four years younger would result in a faster 40 but maybe there's not that kind of correlation. Or maybe he got bigger and slower and/or stopped training for track.

I wonder how many of these really fast football players at UM run track. Some of the could probably help the track team. I would think sprint training would help their football speed.
Some guys just **** up on the 40 too..but his football speed did look legit at while year and at SMU

Advertisement
Back