Most bizarre defensive play of the night

And 17. Guarantee TAC and Troutman are better, can't be worse.
17 to me is our best backer (not saying much)

Be careful what you ask for i remember when guys were literally asking for Jennings and comp to hit the field over shaq and Pinkney.

Troutman is the size of a corner back right now. ..Stevenson is bigger than him...He might should be a package guy...I think on those third downs they need to have TAC /Huff/Brooks out there more so than Flagg spying a qb thats obviously more athletic than he is

Advertisement
Funny thing...
I actually run this same exact play.
Out of Dime personnel.
Cover-2-man.
3 man rush. (with the spies providing the 4th and/or 5th rusher)
We stunt the DE inside to spill the QB to the edge.
Then we have the spying LB (usually our best athlete at LB) 'trigger' and go attack the QB.
Usually gets a sack or forces an arrant throw.

I like it because it kinda kills 2 birds with 1 stone. It provides an underneath zone defender for any 'hot' throws that are commonly used versus man coverage (i.e. quick slant) and also provides an additional rusher after a 2-count. It's ideal if you can flush the QB away from his throwing arm. (flush a RH QB to his left)

0:11

0:41

It's a good call by Manny but you have to be smart about who you put at the spy. It's gotta be someone who's twitchy and can 'trigger' on the QB and close. Someone who can tackle in space and not get out-leveraged.
I have a fast/twitchy kid that doesn't start for me, but he's the 'hunter' type, and sometimes I put him in on Dime personnel just to spy.
Gotta know your personnel.

I feel like this could've been a role better suited for Huff, Brooks or even James Williams.
Actually, Williams spied one time last night and screwed it up by taking a terrible angle. It has to be coached up.

They had James spy a few times last night and last week.

In that situation i sub out Flagg for possibly Brooks(if healthy) or Huff like you said because I know they can run

Yeah I don't hate the kid at all he actually made a great interception the series before, this was just legit dumbfounding. I don't know if he was gassed or what
He’s just a step slow to repeatedly make plays. More often than not Flagg makes the right read and at least tries to makes plays. the young man is smart and is giving great effort. But he’s not quick enough. More than once he just missed a tackle that a Miami starting MLB is expected to make and which Shaq and Pinck make which in turn made the same defense look better. But the linebackers just aren’t up to Miami caliber and either is the safety play. It’s an indictment of our linebacker coach. Yes I know who that is.

Advertisement
Angle was all wrong and looked like he was expecting Chantz to make what would have been an extremely difficult tackle
He slows up and almost stops expecting Chantz to make the shoestring tackle instead of keeping a full head of steam and destroying Brennan. An inexcusable play. Jon Vilma, Jon Beason, Dan Morgan and even Shaq Quarterman destroy Brennan for a loss on that play. Pitiful.

Advertisement
Back