Most bizarre defensive play of the night

Funny thing...
I actually run this same exact play.
Out of Dime personnel.
Cover-2-man.
3 man rush. (with the spies providing the 4th and/or 5th rusher)
We stunt the DE inside to spill the QB to the edge.
Then we have the spying LB (usually our best athlete at LB) 'trigger' and go attack the QB.
Usually gets a sack or forces an arrant throw.

I like it because it kinda kills 2 birds with 1 stone. It provides an underneath zone defender for any 'hot' throws that are commonly used versus man coverage (i.e. quick slant) and also provides an additional rusher after a 2-count. It's ideal if you can flush the QB away from his throwing arm. (flush a RH QB to his left)

0:11

0:41

It's a good call by Manny but you have to be smart about who you put at the spy. It's gotta be someone who's twitchy and can 'trigger' on the QB and close. Someone who can tackle in space and not get out-leveraged.
I have a fast/twitchy kid that doesn't start for me, but he's the 'hunter' type, and sometimes I put him in on Dime personnel just to spy.
Gotta know your personnel.

I feel like this could've been a role better suited for Huff, Brooks or even James Williams.
Actually, Williams spied one time last night and screwed it up by taking a terrible angle. It has to be coached up.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Glad you showed this OP. I was scratching my head on that play as well.

When my kids go half *** like that, it is not a pleasant car ride home. You would think a Miami LB would not tippy toe around like that.

Advertisement
marginal LB at the P5 level. Has some good instincts but quickness and speed are not good. Certainly not built to be a "spy". Who thought that was a good idea?

The most bizarre idiotic Defensive play of the night was that targetting late hit that the refs missed on UVa's fourth quarter drive. The knucklehead speared a Virgina reciever on the ground after a incompletion on a third down. The annoucers caught it but the replay officials didn't.

That would have given them a first down and allowed them to go up by 7.

Thankfully the blind mice ACC refs missed that.

Last edited:
I think the following is even worse. Watch Hall at 14:55 mark.

OMG that play was a comedy of errors LOL.

Flagg gets "guided" to sideline by #69 LOL, Bolden does His best Gurvan Hall impression by blocking #21 from UVA, Hall whiffs on the tackle (as usual), and what should've been a tackle for minimum gain turns into a 30 something yard gain LOL.

Watching this defense is like watching the 3 Stooges.

Turrrrrrible man.

Advertisement
The 17:05 mark Flagg fakes a blitz spies the QB and just lets him run right by for a 3rd down conversion this was the worst defensive play of the night and of course they went on to score instead of 3 and out. Never seen anything like this he was in perfect position to make a stop.

This one really stood out to me.

Yeah I don't hate the kid at all he actually made a great interception the series before, this was just legit dumbfounding. I don't know if he was gassed or what
I key on him most plays.. it had nothing to do with him being gassed. Besides the int and two other plays, this was his worse performance. This was just one play. The play that Steed got **** for missing a tackle. Steed did a good job of getting in position to cover for Flaggs slow *** who was actually covering the guy (but the guy blew by him so much that Flagg wasn’t even in sight). He is like a magnet to offensive lineman. I am not sure i have seen him avoid an O lineman once yet when the O lineman has his eyes set on him.

Advertisement
Im not one to overly bash players if they are putting in effort and trying to represent the university well off the field. Especially with the personal stuff. Not on them if we made a bad eval or continually put them on the field when they shouldn't be.

That said, there sure were some people on here who boldly beat the drum for Flagg and called out/patronized others who had legit concerns.
I dont think anybody beat the drum saying he was this stud LB. Many on here, myself included, simply said Flagg was never recruited to be this Day 1 starter. He just wasnt. It would be like Allen Haye starting at DT and every week we are killing him for playing bad. He shouldnt have even been out there. Flagg was a 3rd-4th year starter at best. Depending on whos in front of him maybe a solid backup like Mike Smith.

We missed out of Justin Flowe and settled for Flagg and are playing Flagg in a LB role like hes Flowe! (if that makes sense) At this point, if you arent giving TAC a shot then you risk losing him at years end IMO. We are at a point with this team that these young guys who know these older guys arent as good as them arent going to stay around and just waste their years away on the bench.

Advertisement
Funny thing...
I actually run this same exact play.
Out of Dime personnel.
Cover-2-man.
3 man rush. (with the spies providing the 4th and/or 5th rusher)
We stunt the DE inside to spill the QB to the edge.
Then we have the spying LB (usually our best athlete at LB) 'trigger' and go attack the QB.
Usually gets a sack or forces an arrant throw.

I like it because it kinda kills 2 birds with 1 stone. It provides an underneath zone defender for any 'hot' throws that are commonly used versus man coverage (i.e. quick slant) and also provides an additional rusher after a 2-count. It's ideal if you can flush the QB away from his throwing arm. (flush a RH QB to his left)

0:11

0:41

It's a good call by Manny but you have to be smart about who you put at the spy. It's gotta be someone who's twitchy and can 'trigger' on the QB and close. Someone who can tackle in space and not get out-leveraged.
I have a fast/twitchy kid that doesn't start for me, but he's the 'hunter' type, and sometimes I put him in on Dime personnel just to spy.
Gotta know your personnel.

I feel like this could've been a role better suited for Huff, Brooks or even James Williams.
Actually, Williams spied one time last night and screwed it up by taking a terrible angle. It has to be coached up.

Williams was the spy a lot last night I felt like. I just think he needs to understand the speed of the game a little better ans that he needs to move with urgency at all times.

Is the play your referring to the TD by Collins?

The 17:05 mark Flagg fakes a blitz spies the QB and just lets him run right by for a 3rd down conversion this was the worst defensive play of the night and of course they went on to score instead of 3 and out. Never seen anything like this he was in perfect position to make a stop.

For me the most frustrating play of the game. I want to love Corey Flagg, especially after he stepped up the possession before with the pick, and got the TFL on the literal play right before. But then he did this ****.

Our linebackers suck so bad mane

I missed the majority of the game due to some traveling (thankfully) but I caught this play and one of Cam Harris’ runs where he let a blocked DB trip him up with nothing but green grass between him and a huge run

I am no fan of our coaching staff but sometimes I’m just like good grief these guys are awful
How i feel as well.

And all that Mario Mario talk wont change a **** thing imo. Some of these guys are who they are.

There is no coaching up Jon Fords, Jennings, Gurvan Hall, types to be more than what they are...which is Jags or below avg players.

Advertisement
Back