More portaling — Nigel Bethel

Advertisement
"Because after next Saturday, we have to set sail on the 2019 season and not everyone is invited on the boat. If you want to be on the boat, you’ve got to step up this week. You really have to bring it. You have to compete all week. This is going to be a hard week, intentionally. We told them it’s going to be hard. We have to find out…this is really our last evaluation of separating the ones who like it from the ones who love it.” -Diaz

Aye aye Cap'n.

We certainly have talent @ Corner (and Bethel's departure doesn't subtract from that) but depth is an issue moving forward at both DB positions. We need more numbers, simple as that.

Someone probably pointed this out but he only thanked Diaz and Banda according to 247. They also said he was 4th strong but I'm not so sure on that.

Advertisement
The writing was on the wall weeks ago even though some of you didn’t want to believe it. He was passed by Couch and Williams the first week of fall ball. He was a reach by Rumph in the first place. Hopefully the kid ends up at FIU instead of a D2.

?

Don't understand the connection with Mitchell on this one.

As I'm sure you're aware, Mitchell was a highly-rated recruit and probably one of the very fastest players Miami has ever had.

And probably could have been a really good one if he hadn't gone back home for family reasons.

Not sure how that relates to Bethel.

he got his Tory Mitchell on...

The writing was on the wall weeks ago even though some of you didn’t want to believe it. He was passed by Couch and Williams the first week of fall ball. He was a reach by Rumph in the first place. Hopefully the kid ends up at FIU instead of a D2.
Believe Banda wanted bethel

Advertisement
Ridiculous for him to transfer. Kid was learning a new position and wasn’t some high rated recruit everyone wanted. Everyone knew he was a project upside style kid and for him to give up after one year is pathetic.
Man what's the point in going through Spring & Summer Conditioning of pure Holy ****, just to leave weeks before the season. Especially if your on the rooster to play actually games snaps. I hate Quitters!

In a way this is a surprise because the kid had to know he was considered a project. He was a borderline take from the get go but his 40 time got him an offer (his ability to play CB in high school certainly didn't). This was the type of kid I pictured contributing as a reserve in his 4th or 5th year in the program. Maybe he got antsy and wants to play somewhere? Maybe he saw Williams and Couch and figured he wasn't going to beat either of them?

I mean, honestly if the staff is super desperate for a 6th cornerback, I'm sure there's a grad transfer somewhere in the portal who can come in and sit the bench in an emergency type role.

This is going to be the norm. Especially if Diaz can keep recruiting at a high level. There's going to be guys like D.Smith and N.Bethel who are on the lower end of the totem pole who will want to leave for playing time. It's a good thing. When a starter transfers randomly, I'll be concerned.

How was he reach by Rumph?... he went to Paradise Camp and got an offer from Coach Richt with Diaz’s approval as well. You know position coaches don’t have the authority to offer scholarships, if that was the case Rumph would’ve been recruiting 5 star cb Kelee Ringo this class.

Advertisement
This portal giveth and taketh. But either way it promotes softness...

Gonna be 50/50 portal and traditional recruiting to try to manage depth.

Advertisement
How was he reach by Rumph?... he went to Paradise Camp and got an offer from Coach Richt with Diaz’s approval as well. You know position coaches don’t have the authority to offer scholarships, if that was the case Rumph would’ve been recruiting 5 star cb Kelee Ringo this class.
I won't pin this totally on one coach but he was a reach by the staff. After they struck out with Campbell and Surtain, they had to get a plan C guy and Bethel was their guy.

In a way this is a surprise because the kid had to know he was considered a project. He was a borderline take from the get go but his 40 time got him an offer (his ability to play CB in high school certainly didn't). This was the type of kid I pictured contributing as a reserve in his 4th or 5th year in the program. Maybe he got antsy and wants to play somewhere? Maybe he saw Williams and Couch and figured he wasn't going to beat either of them?

I mean, honestly if the staff is super desperate for a 6th cornerback, I'm sure there's a grad transfer somewhere in the portal who can come in and sit the bench in an emergency type role.

This is going to be the norm. Especially if Diaz can keep recruiting at a high level. There's going to be guys like D.Smith and N.Bethel who are on the lower end of the totem pole who will want to leave for playing time. It's a good thing. When a starter transfers randomly, I'll be concerned.
Exactly, some people see competition and don’t want to compete like that. It happens , we brought in some talented dbs in the 2019 class.

At safety
2 consensus 4 star army all Americans joined the team in:
- 4 star s Bubba bolden
- 4 star s keontra smith

-3 star s Derrick smith leaves

At cb
2 consensus 4 star UA all Americans joined the team jn:
- 4 star cb Christian Williams
- 4 star cb tecory couch

-3 star Nigel bethel leaves

Also, you guys blaming the portal realize that players have always had the ability to transfer. It's not like they were locked into one school for eternity before the portal came out. The portal just saves time and paperwork. It's just a place for kids who are looking to transfer to put their name out. Instead of contacting schools and coaches individually , one at a time, a kid can say "I'm transferring" to anybody who may be interested.

Advertisement
Back