More on NIL Super deals and NIL Collectives

Advertisement
I saw someone post this elsewhere. I haven't listened to the podcast yet myself but found it interesting....

According to Bruce Feldman, who claims to have seen the contract, Nico would give the collective signing him the exclusive rights to his NIL for the next 3 years until he matriculates to the NFL. In other words, he could not receive any NIL compensation if he transfers

That was on a podcast yesterday. Feldman and Stewart Mandel spent the first 20 minutes talking about the proposed contract and NIL

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...-college-football/id884362991?i=1000554039359

We were the first, and I still believe only team to have a company offer a NIL deal to the entire team. The NCAA got suspicious and we told them to kick rocks. They can put a telescope, microscope, microwave whatever they want on us doesn’t matter anymore.

Now I’m sure once a few of these big money kids bust, there will be a bunch of buyers remorse and we’ll see thing get “regulated”. But the cat is out of the bag and kids playing big time college football for free is a thing of the past.
These guys dropping millions on kids are not first time investors. They understand that these kids may bust. Every single one of these guys have made investments that didn't pan out in the past. They are just looking for that one investment that ends up outweighing all their losses. They aren't going to have a couple busts and say "well, I guess paying kids was a bad idea."

Advertisement
These guys dropping millions on kids are not first time investors. They understand that these kids may bust. Every single one of these guys have made investments that didn't pan out in the past. They are just looking for that one investment that ends up outweighing all their losses. They aren't going to have a couple busts and say "well, I guess paying kids was a bad idea."
The difference is, there’s no return on these investments. It’s not like owning a professional franchise where paying players can increase profit and the team’s value. All these guys are getting is a chance to improve a team that doesn’t make them any money back. I understand that a lot of these dudes have money to throw away so they don’t really care about losing a few million but I know nobody wants to be the guy who makes headlines for paying a ton of money to a huge bust.

Right now this is all new and it’s essentially a **** measuring contest between billionaire boosters. I’m curious to see how this plays out in a few years when it’s not so new and players bust or transfer There will likely be some sort of salary cap created and we’ll all be taking about how crazy the first few years of NIL were when players were getting huge contracts.

The difference is, there’s no return on these investments. It’s not like owning a professional franchise where paying players can increase profit and the team’s value. All these guys are getting is a chance to improve a team that doesn’t make them any money back. I understand that a lot of these dudes have money to throw away so they don’t really care about losing a few million but I know nobody wants to be the guy who makes headlines for paying a ton of money to a huge bust.

Right now this is all new and it’s essentially a **** measuring contest between billionaire boosters. I’m curious to see how this plays out in a few years when it’s not so new and players bust or transfer There will likely be some sort of salary cap created and we’ll all be taking about how crazy the first few years of NIL were when players were getting huge contracts.
Well, they do get a benefit from it. Just not a direct monetary benefit. They get similar benefits to what you would get if you donated a ton of money to a school.

You are going to have 2 main types of donors here.

1. The guys that really want to see the team win at all costs. Which means if they have a couple busts they are going to more likely be mad at the coach for not assessing the kid properly and want him fired, more than not wanting to buy another player.

2. The guys that want clout in the school. These guys don't care if a player busts. Its all about how much money they spend. If they spend 20 million on 3 players and they all bust, they are still the guy that donated 20 mill to the football team and will get all the clout and benefits that come with that donation.

That part I disagree with, you’re saying the U wasn’t worth more after 5 titles? Schools themselves have to love this, which is why you don’t see much pushback… they have revenue targets just like any other business and to get all this “free” advertising for one of the biggest money makers on campus is huge.

That part I disagree with, you’re saying the U wasn’t worth more after 5 titles? Schools themselves have to love this, which is why you don’t see much pushback… they have revenue targets just like any other business and to get all this “free” advertising for one of the biggest money makers on campus is huge.
You misunderstood. Of course the school, athletic department and football team are worth more when the team is successful but they’re not the ones spending the money on NIL deals. Boosters spend the money but don’t get monetary reimbursement. Normally when someone makes an investment, it’s to profit. Although there is a prestige and cache associated with big donors.

Advertisement
Well, they do get a benefit from it. Just not a direct monetary benefit. They get similar benefits to what you would get if you donated a ton of money to a school.

You are going to have 2 main types of donors here.

1. The guys that really want to see the team win at all costs. Which means if they have a couple busts they are going to more likely be mad at the coach for not assessing the kid properly and want him fired, more than not wanting to buy another player.

2. The guys that want clout in the school. These guys don't care if a player busts. Its all about how much money they spend. If they spend 20 million on 3 players and they all bust, they are still the guy that donated 20 mill to the football team and will get all the clout and benefits that come with that donation.

Agree. This is a bag game with bigger dollar signs. Boosters aren't dropping bags for an ROI per se lol. Their "ROI" is seeing their school win.

You misunderstood. Of course the school, athletic department and football team are worth more when the team is successful but they’re not the ones spending the money on NIL deals. Boosters spend the money but don’t get monetary reimbursement. Normally when someone makes an investment, it’s to profit. Although there is a prestige and cache associated with big donors.
I gotcha sorry, yeah I think in this case it’s just the prestige and access associated with it, but that’s been the case since the beginning for boosters. I wouldn’t do it but to each their own

True however I think the NCAA is learning a lesson from all of this. For years they've showed favoritism to the SEC for that very same league to not think twice about cutting them out and forming their "own league". Plus having their power checked, authority scrutinized, and inadequacies magnified repeatedly, I think will be good for them in a sense in that they will get their act together and become and actual governing body, not just miming the appearance of one.
No they won’t. They’re politicians and they’re incapable of that. They’re the waking dead now.

It’s total horse chit bro. Like I’ve mentioned before on here, b/c of my fiduciary responsibilities, I’ve read over many of contracts I’ve been a party to. It’s my obligation to weed out any ambiguous language that’s found to help clients understand completely what they are signing & agreeing to. Financial companies, particularly in the insurance industry are notorious for putting vague, interpreted language in policy jackets to give leeway to deny claims. If there’s a loophole, it will be exploited b/c that’s what ambiguous language allows.

The NIL agreement is beyond ambiguous; schools r taking full advantage of it. I mentioned that these schools will be even more prone to turn “turn a blind eye” to their boosters (& let’s be honest, boosters come in all shapes & sizes from a casual fanatic, alum, former employee, politicians) doing a school’s dirty work. What was once considered impermissible is now considered permissible. That wasn’t the intent; the intent was:
-If Adidas, UA, NB, or Nike sold a jersey in the student store or on a website w/ my name on it, I need to get a piece of the proceeds.

-If the student store or an auction is used to sell a signed piece of memorabilia, I need to get a piece of the proceeds.

-If the NCAA is using my image on a giant banner, or a still shot used on TBS, Tru-TV, CBS to promote the NCAA tourney, I need to get a piece of the proceeds.

What we’re seeing now is just boosters saying “I’m going to outspend u, OPENLY, to get the best players to go to my favorite school. The irony is that Jimbo Fisher “initially” said the NIL is only bringing out what was done in private before, but when he became the benefactor of it, he said kids weren’t coming to A&M b/c of that, & they weren’t cheating. Lol.
from what I remember the Supreme Court decision focused on educational related compensation.. they could not limit if it was educational related. It was silent on non-educational related reimbursement

Advertisement
from what I remember the Supreme Court decision focused on educational related compensation.. they could not limit if it was educational related. It was silent on non-educational related reimbursement

Dang; u may be right bro. I need to go back & read the proceedings. Regardless, what has transpired has been utter chaos & completely different than the intent of the NIL.

No they won’t. They’re politicians and they’re incapable of that. They’re the waking dead now.
Hmm, that is a possibility. Ok so if not the NCAA what regulatory organization will come out of the ashes to govern? We all know these places can't self govern.

Hmm, that is a possibility. Ok so if not the NCAA what regulatory organization will come out of the ashes to govern? We all know these places can't self govern.
There won’t be one. They originally came to power, due to the growth of television and it’s contracts. As the conferences grow, they’ll manage their own deals govern themselves. They’ll cut them out.

Advertisement
Lol; tried to tell ya’ll before this chit happened. Somehow u thought this would even the playing field & would be a good thing to bring back the proverbial “parity.”

When there’s no structure, all u have is interpretation which leads to chaos. I’m sure something will give, eventually; but when, who knows. The worst thing that could’ve happened was not having set guidelines regarding NIL, namely, players ONLY can get compensated for the use of their name, image, or likeness regarding any University published materials including merchandise, commercials, memorabilia, gaming, promotions, posters.

This chit is literally the Wild, Wild West. But, for some this is what u wanted b/c u thought it was a benefit. All this did was empower boosters to come out from the dark & be flagrant, while also stopping kids from taking paper bags & dipping.
Lawyers and middle men always win when street **** goes commercial.

HIGHLIGHTS

- Meanwhile, many athletes are negotiating deals without an attorney and agreeing to contracts that require repayment or a percentage of an athlete’s future earnings after college.

This is what young baseball players in Latin America sign up to, and when they make it to MLB find the majority of their salaries going back to these agencies.

This is what young baseball players in Latin America sign up to, and when they make it to MLB find the majority of their salaries going back to these agencies.
Brazilian soccer guys too. It’s offensive to Americans but as long as the deals aren’t obscene a lot more kids get money upfront as people spread their bets.

Advertisement
Back