More on Manny Diaz/Banda (Updated)

I think he will circle back to us at the right time. We all know this job isn’t for first timers and even if Richt makes the decisions necessary to right the ship he’s not going to be around for more then five more seasons IMO. Let Diaz cut his teeth at Temple and less demanding P5 gig first.

Advertisement
I don’t buy it. I believe that’s what you were TOLD, but I don’t buy it.

Bama holds on to Kirby Smart for a decade. Clemson holds on to Venables. Virginia Tech hangs on to Bud Foster. ****, even Texas A&M held on to Elko.

But Miami? We get poached every year. Stoutland, Cristobal, Kool, Diaz, etc etc etc going all the **** way back to Butch Davis

So no, I don’t believe that Miami really did “all it could”.

Kirby and Venables are/were in situations where they were constantly winning. They're also ridiculously paid (Kirby was at the time). Bud Foster's the kind of guy who realizes that he just wants to be a DC; those guys exist where they don't want to go through the vigors of being a HC. A&M just threw serious stacks at Elko. Manny wants to be a HC long term. That's just how it is.

The other guys you mentioned were all poached from Bama in similar roles that they held in Miami - those are entirely different from what Manny's move is. Manny's launching himself into a HC gig at a P5 school that will get him over $3 mil per year and he'd be able to call his own shots and operate with full autonomy down the road.

Well. Hopefully we can use some of that for an OC (haha totally will happen) and use the rest of it on a still really good DC...

Believe it...Missouri held on to Kuligowski for how long? Do you know how many NFL teams tried hiring that guy? Miami offered him more money....what else could they have done?

I don’t believe they offered him 1.5 million. I think that was leaked to Stefan because the fans anger is pointed at Blake James and the BOT at the moment, and they want the heat off them.

Talk is cheap. We get poached WAY the **** too often. Like every year, just about.

Advertisement
Kirby and Venables are/were in situations where they were constantly winning. They're also ridiculously paid (Kirby was at the time). Bud Foster's the kind of guy who realizes that he just wants to be a DC; those guys exist where they don't want to go through the vigors of being a HC. A&M just threw serious stacks at Elko. Manny wants to be a HC long term. That's just how it is.

The other guys you mentioned were all poached from Bama in similar roles that they held in Miami - those are entirely different from what Manny's move is. Manny's launching himself into a HC gig at a P5 school that will get him over $3 mil per year and he'd be able to call his own shots and operate with full autonomy down the road.

There’s always a story or an excuse. For 15 years, we’ve been consistently poached of our best coaches. That needs to be fixed.

Advertisement
Believe it...Missouri held on to Kuligowski for how long? Do you know how many NFL teams tried hiring that guy? Miami offered him more money....what else could they have done?

You sure NFL teams were interviewing Kool? Kool looks like a coach that wants nothing to do with recruiting whatsoever, which is part of being a position coach at the college level.

this program is at a level it hasnrt been in years and it will only get better from here

Agreed. We have not been this bad in all my years of following the Canes. This is worse than the probation years. It will eventually get better, but I fear we haven't yet hit rock bottom.

Bama holds on to Kirby Smart for a decade. Clemson holds on to Venables. Virginia Tech hangs on to Bud Foster. ****, even Texas A&M held on to Elko.

But Miami? We get poached every year. Stoutland, Cristobal, Kool, Diaz, etc etc etc going all the **** way back to Butch Davis

Everyone has different goals and path. Smart wanted the UGA job, his alma mater. He was loyal to Saban and waited. Venables may want a HC job, but not any HC job.. Foster is a lifer at VaTech. Maybe the latter two are content being DCs. Both earn excellent money, and live in relatively low-cost (assume so) college towns.

Unless he was promoted to HC Diaz moving on was inevitable.

Last edited:
Advertisement
There’s always a story or an excuse. For 15 years, we’ve been consistently poached of our best coaches. That needs to be fixed.

Sure, Bama poaching our coaches is a problem. The Manny Diaz situation's a bit different. This is how it's always been at Miami since the 80's. You have a great coach, they get offers for better gigs (position coaches -> coordinators, coordinators -> HC, HC sometimes go off to the NFL). That's how it works.

I think he will circle back to us at the right time. We all know this job isn’t for first timers and even if Richt makes the decisions necessary to right the ship he’s not going to be around for more then five more seasons IMO. Let Diaz cut his teeth at Temple and less demanding P5 gig first.

Been saying this for a minute now. Wouldn't mind Manny at Miami, so long he gets the growing pains of being a HC out of his system at a lesser school. He's doing what he should be doing right now. If in 3 years, Richt's done/fired at Miami, and Manny was killing at Temple, bring Manny on board as the next man.

You sure NFL teams were interviewing Kool? Kool looks like a coach that wants nothing to do with recruiting whatsoever, which is part of being a position coach at the college level.

Even at Miami Kul was being interviewed by NFL teams. We had to give him a pay raise after the 2016 season

Advertisement

Nobody said Miami did "all it could". That would have meant firing Dicht and handing the reigns over to Manny. There are few who would have advocated that approach. Even though I would personally rather have Manny than Richt, I would not be in favor of giving Manny his first HC gig right here, right now.

UM did all it reasonably could do to keep Manny. At the end of the day, he wanted away from Richt and he took similar money to go be a head coach at a low tier D1 program.

I was told today from a program source that Miami was willing to go to $1.5 million dollars per year to keep Diaz at UM, which would have made him the second highest-paid Coordinator in the ACC behind Brent Venables. Diaz simply wanted to take on the challenge of becoming a head coach and there wasn't much Miami could've done about it.

Update: Was also told that safeties coach Ephraim Banda will make a final decision on whether to join Diaz at Temple tonight and news could come as early as tomorrow morning.

So how much money do we have for a new OC?

Advertisement
Back