X's and O's More of A Need: Dominating Safety or Shutdown Corner?

Here's how the NFL voted (with its $$$) in 2023:

Franchise tag:​

• Quarterback: $32.42MM
  • Running back: $10.1MM
  • Wide receiver: $19.74MM
  • Tight end: $11.36MM
  • Offensive linemen: $18.24MM
  • Defensive end: $19.73MM
  • Defensive tackle: $18.94MM
  • Linebacker: $20.93MM
  • Cornerback: $18.14MM
  • Safety: $14.46MM
  • Kicker/punter: $5.39MM

Transition tag:​

• Quarterback: $29.5MM
  • Running back: $8.43MM
  • Wide receiver: $17.99MM
  • Tight end: $9.72MM
  • Offensive linemen: $16.66MM
  • Defensive end: $17.45MM
  • Defensive tackle: $16.1MM
  • Linebacker: $17.48MM
  • Cornerback: $15.79MM
  • Safety: $11.87MM
  • Kicker/punter: $4.87MM
Interesting....

Advertisement
How do I say this... I had the very fortunate experience of witnessing Devin McCourty and Darrelle Revis and then later Stephon Gilmore. D-Mac is one of the underrated safeties in the past 30 years of this sport, people avoided throwing into his zone knowing he'll pick it if it's slightly off. The moment he was playing robber, you better not look his direction.

That being said, I'll take Revis and Gilmore, and therefore, the shutdown corner. If you can eliminate a top receiving option with one guy in todays game, it's such a huge advantage. Really good safeties elevate the play of the secondary, but only to such an extent. Shutdown corners basically eliminate one receiver and deconstruct gameplans.

And before anyone ***** on me for mentioning Gilmore, dude was the first DPOY as a CB in a decade in a timeline with Aaron Donald playing.
Bender bringing the hot schnitzel!

the porster who has failed to make an appearance is @LuCane who played safety at a very high level at a football powerhouse in miami.

ubi est @LuCane?
Lmao. Yes, definite powerhouse. Definite extreme high level of play.

But, seriously…

As much as I love the Safety role and feel it’s critical for any sound defense, there’s a reason I wanted Ellis Robinson more than probably any other recruit, and it’s not because he was necessarily the best raw prospect. Our defense absolutely needs a shutdown, ‘I’m more talented than you’ corner.

I don’t think there’s a clear answer here. It depends on how good the Corner option is vs the impact/range of the Safety. Put it this way, though, any Safety with any awareness is likely feeling more pressure and concern given some of our current CB room’s limitations.

Advertisement
My first instinct is to say lockdown corner because you can just leave his side of the field alone and use safety help on the rest of the field in coverage but the real answer is way more nuanced. What type of defense are you playing? Who's in your front seven? Are we just grading defensive backs on coverage ability or are we expecting them to play in the run and blitz game? Who else is in the defensive backfield? I mean Deion played for a long time for a terrible Falcons defense that couldn't stop anyone even though Deion could shut down whoever he was matched up against. So what good is shutting down one receiver when you can't stop any others? Or you're just getting ran all over? I'd say if your defense is already loaded, a shut down corner will put you over the top but if you're not strong all over the field, you might be better suited with a playmaking safety who can help in the run game too.

@Brooklyndee @Coach Macho @Memnon @Rellyrell

I suppose no right or wrong answer here...

If you can pick one, what is more important for a defense?

- Dominating Safety
- Shutdown corner

For me, I'm going to go with a shutdown corner you can put on your opponent's WR1 week-to-week and it's "on the island" time...
Boils down to Deion vs Ed reed
I’m going reed all day
Greatest db of all time and second best defender of all time second to only r Lewis

Advertisement
You can give help a corner out with overtop or under coverage. Essentially, a corner can be given "one job" and be effective.

A good single high safety can mask two sub-par corners.

And, just generally, a dominant force as your last line of defense is always welcomed.
Perfect example is cam chancellor and earl Thomas made the corners of Seattle's jobs much easier I don't know if Richard Sherman would've been as good in another system

Perfect example is cam chancellor and earl Thomas made the corners of Seattle's jobs much easier I don't know if Richard Sherman would've been as good in another system
I really wonder did we all watch the same games lol

Teams were petrified of throwing sherman way, like hall of fame quarterbacks. Earl and kam were great players but sherman is a hall of famer and would be no matter where he played

In Guidry's defense I'm gonna go against the grain a bit and say a dominant safety. Get a guy that can cover ground, play center field and also thump in the box when asked and he can mask a lot of weaknesses.

Put another way, on this defense I'd rather have Sean Taylor than Antrel Rolle. JMO.
Fock😍 Since you put it that way… Si!!!Si!!!Si!!!……………..,,

We’re not getting either so…

the wolf of wall street idgaf GIF

I’d be ecstatic if we could just add a serviceable CB before fall camp

Advertisement
I really wonder did we all watch the same games lol

Teams were petrified of throwing sherman way, like hall of fame quarterbacks. Earl and kam were great players but sherman is a hall of famer and would be no matter where he played
Richard is a good corner but in that corner 3 he played one side of the field he didn't travel with the best receiver. He would jump routes which is how he got a lot of his ints. He would get burnt also and the safeties would clean it up for him. Richard is an outstanding smart player but he also benefited from the scheme and his two all pro safeties

Richard is a good corner but in that corner 3 he played one side of the field he didn't travel with the best receiver. He would jump routes which is how he got a lot of his ints. He would get burnt also and the safeties would clean it up for him. Richard is an outstanding smart player but he also benefited from the scheme and his two all pro safeties
Not traveling doesn’t mean u aren’t great at what u do lol. Some teams have principles in their defense that work better when guys play a side

Seattle played tons of 1high coverage, cover1 cover3..And they pressed ALOT so sherman was on an island alot, they played match 3 too so yea its cover 3 but it could turn into man coverage

Every great corner has gotten burnt that doesn’t change who they are its the nfl. Earl thomas and pete have said before they knew they didn’t have to worry about shermans side much. Aaron rodgers who was a mvp didn’t target his side that wasnt cause of the safeties lol thats cause the risk wasn’t worth it

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back