X's and O's More of A Need: Dominating Safety or Shutdown Corner?

Advertisement
A real debate would be a shutdown corner vs a dominant edge like Myles Garrett. I’d still go shutdown corner. Takes incredible amount of stress off a defense and allows the D coordinate to draw up more stuff when he doesn’t have to worry about a third of the field.

Advertisement
In Guidry's defense I'm gonna go against the grain a bit and say a dominant safety. Get a guy that can cover ground, play center field and also thump in the box when asked and he can mask a lot of weaknesses.

Put another way, on this defense I'd rather have Sean Taylor than Antrel Rolle. JMO.

@Brooklyndee @Coach Macho @Memnon @Rellyrell

I suppose no right or wrong answer here...

If you can pick one, what is more important for a defense?

- Dominating Safety
- Shutdown corner

For me, I'm going to go with a shutdown corner you can put on your opponent's WR1 week-to-week and it's "on the island" time...
But that question needs more context kind sir. If the question is WHAT DOES THIS EXACT DEFENSE NEED COMING INTO NEXT YEAR?

A corner is a piece that has THE MOST VALUE on a complete defense. He's essentially the closer that you see his most value in the bottom of the ninth.

A safety is more of a starting pitcher. You gotta count on him to bring his best for atleast 7 innings. If we had a defense with dudes we knew exactly what we were getting and it wasn't necessarily dominant out of the safeties. But they were reliable against the run and in pass coverage. If we had a defensive line that was creating chaos on a regular basis, linebackers that just did their job consistently (in pass coverage especially )and we played a schedule with qbs and recievers who were dominant,if all of those factors came into play than 10 out of 10 I'll take the shut down corner. Because on that third and long or that first and ten we can count on him to lock **** up with opposing teams biggest threat. That's not our situation though for me. That's why I'm more attentive towards a safety, more specifically free.

Advertisement
But that question needs more context kind sir. If the question is WHAT DOES THIS EXACT DEFENSE NEED COMING INTO NEXT YEAR?

A corner is a piece that has THE MOST VALUE on a complete defense. He's essentially the closer that you see his most value in the bottom of the ninth.

A safety is more of a starting pitcher. You gotta count on him to bring his best for atleast 7 innings. If we had a defense with dudes we knew exactly what we were getting and it wasn't necessarily dominant out of the safeties. But they were reliable against the run and in pass coverage. If we had a defensive line that was creating chaos on a regular basis, linebackers that just did their job consistently (in pass coverage especially )and we played a schedule with qbs and recievers who were dominant,if all of those factors came into play than 10 out of 10 I'll take the shut down corner. Because on that third and long or that first and ten we can count on him to lock **** up with opposing teams biggest threat. That's not our situation though for me. That's why I'm more attentive towards a safety, more specifically free.
Thats was going to be my next question once I got your "philisophy in life"....

- Dominating Safety
- Shutdown corner

For me, I'm going to go with a shutdown corner you can put on your opponent's WR1 week-to-week and it's "on the island" time...
Corner because I forgot what they look like at Miami

You can give help a corner out with overtop or under coverage. Essentially, a corner can be given "one job" and be effective.

A good single high safety can mask two sub-par corners.

And, just generally, a dominant force as your last line of defense is always welcomed.
Point to Ranger...

Advertisement
neither,

a corch that knows how to kneel.

Miami - Cristobal - Kneeling.jpg

Advertisement

- Dominating Safety
- Shutdown corner

Offenses have such an advantage in the passing game right now where it’s almost impossible to cover receivers, especially if a QB has time. With that said, the term “coverage sack” has become very vital. Safeties are important to clean up mistakes on either level, but if u have shut down corners, it makes them even more valuable where u can use them all over vs. staying deep to make up for **** poor coverage.

Give me the lock down CBs; I can tell u when Seattle had the Legion of Boom w/ Browner & Sherman shutting down WRs, it made Thomas & Chancellor’s job real easy and they were used all over. I can tell U how much easier Stevenson & Johnson made for my Bears’ defense as the season progressed.

If u have weak CBs, I don’t care who the Safeties are, u r leaving the field exposed b/c now they have to worry about the CBs & LBs assignments in coverage. They are the clean up crew.

- Dominating Safety
- Shutdown corner

How about a non-dominate safety that tries to play corner??

That's how we do it here. We make the simple complex and the complex impossible. My guy @Memnon knows what I'm talking about

Advertisement
Back