X's and O's More of A Need: Dominating Safety or Shutdown Corner?

Advertisement
If you have a lockdown Corner he doesn't need help, which means the Safety will be free to roam & make more plays on the Ball.

When the Safety doesn't have to take on the responsibility of covering up the CB's mistakes, less busted coverages happen because the reads are easier & there's less communication required in order to check into the correct coverage.

When you can leave a CB on an Island it coalesces the entire Defense, because now you have the advantage of having more defenders getting an opportunity to proactively get to the ball, as opposed to reacting after the Offense has already made the play.

When you eliminate the Offenses Outside WR's, you can funnel the rest of the Defense to the middle of the field in between the hashes leaving the O with no options. If you can't shut down the pass in today's game then your fcked.

We had 2 NFL caliber Safeties on our backend last year, but guess which game we gave up the most yards in?...

Offenses have such an advantage in the passing game right now where it’s almost impossible to cover receivers, especially if a QB has time. With that said, the term “coverage sack” has become very vital. Safeties are important to clean up mistakes on either level, but if u have shut down corners, it makes them even more valuable where u can use them all over vs. staying deep to make up for **** poor coverage.

Give me the lock down CBs; I can tell u when Seattle had the Legion of Boom w/ Browner & Sherman shutting down WRs, it made Thomas & Chancellor’s job real easy and they were used all over. I can tell U how much easier Stevenson & Johnson made for my Bears’ defense as the season progressed.

If u have weak CBs, I don’t care who the Safeties are, u r leaving the field exposed b/c now they have to worry about the CBs & LBs assignments in coverage. They are the clean up crew.
Yet you see who the Seahawks found indispensable... you see who they got rid of before all the injuries kicked in. You see who the league was obsessed with. Kam tearing whole heads off and earl locking up the deep third. It was the safeties that made sherms job so easy and why you see how quickly he became less desirable when injuries kicked in with safeties. Look all around the league and think on those dominant shut down corners. How many of them are considered that without the safety help. Not many

If you have a lockdown Corner he doesn't need help, which means the Safety will be free to roam & make more plays on the Ball.

When the Safety doesn't have to take on the responsibility of covering up the CB's mistakes, less busted coverages happen because the reads are easier & there's less communication required in order to check into the correct coverage.

When you can leave a CB on an Island it coalesces the entire Defense, because now you have the advantage of having more defenders getting an opportunity to proactively get to the ball, as opposed to reacting after the Offense has already made the play.

When you eliminate the Offenses Outside WR's, you can funnel the rest of the Defense to the middle of the field in between the hashes leaving the O with no options. If you can't shut down the pass in today's game then your fcked.

We had 2 NFL caliber Safeties on our backend last year, but guess which game we gave up the most yards in?...
A corner isn't dominant without confidence that those safeties got his back. But I get what you're saying and I'll just leave it at I disagree. When we had all of our first round corners who were the dudes who carried the defense. Better yet how many of our first round corners you feel Still get drafted that way if we didn't have the safeties we had?

A corner isn't dominant without confidence that those safeties got his back. But I get what you're saying and I'll just leave it at I disagree. When we had all of our first round corners who were the dudes who carried the defense. Better yet how many of our first round corners you feel Still get drafted that way if we didn't have the safeties we had?
So what your saying is Brooklyndee was a safety at Miami? Hmmm... The guy I always had in mind was a CB, another clue to solving this elusive mystery!

Advertisement
Yet you see who the Seahawks found indispensable... you see who they got rid of before all the injuries kicked in. You see who the league was obsessed with. Kam tearing whole heads off and earl locking up the deep third. It was the safeties that made sherms job so easy and why you see how quickly he became less desirable when injuries kicked in with safeties. Look all around the league and think on those dominant shut down corners. How many of them are considered that without the safety help. Not many
Pat Surtain JR
Ahmad Gardner
Jaylon Johnson
Devon Witherspoon
AJ Terrell
DaRon Bland
L'Jarius Sneed
Jaire Alexander

Are the best CB's in the league, none of them have a dominant Safety behind them.

This is not true at all. Lol. Richard ruptured his Achilles in his last season (2017) & Seattle wasn’t going to re-sign a 29 yr old CB coming off a major injury. Kam & Thomas lasted one more reason b4 both left via retirement or released. Rich went to SF, & became a pro bowler again.

No one is saying Safeties are not important; what I’m saying is if a CB is weak af, it’s going to make Safeties job infinitely more difficult. How did OUR pass defense look when we had shoddy CB work, while have an All American Safety & a guy who’s got GMs mouth watering on his potential as an eraser? How did OUR pass defense look when we had Corn, Mike Jackson, Artie, & Colbert(son) as CBs w/ mediocre S play?

Miami has only ever had a handful of 1st round Corners, only one in the last 20 years & that was Artie Burns.

If you're talking about back in the 90's & 00's, then yeah, none of the those CB's get drafted in the 1st round without Ed Reed, Sean Taylor & company.

But in modern times, like right now... We're not anywhere close to having anything that even looks like a 1st round CB, but We're still churning out high graded Safeties.

There's a solid chance Kam gets drafted in the 1st round this draft, while we're still eons away from getting a CB drafted in the 1st.

This is not true at all. Lol. Richard ruptured his Achilles in his last season (2017) & Seattle wasn’t going to re-sign a 29 yr old CB coming off a major injury. Kam & Thomas lasted one more reason b4 both left via retirement or released. Rich went to SF, & became a pro bowler again.

No one is saying Safeties are not important; what I’m saying is if a CB is weak af, it’s going to make Safeties job infinitely more difficult. How did OUR pass defense look when we had shoddy CB work, while have an All American Safety & a guy who’s got GMs mouth watering on his potential as an eraser? How did OUR pass defense look when we had Corn, Mike Jackson, Artie, & Colbert(son) as CBs w/ mediocre S play?
Richard Sherman was a Zone cover 4 Corner that could only play Boundary, he never traveled.

Of course he needed Safety help, he had limitations with his lack of speed & lateral footwork. What he was, was a big tall Zone Corner that fit perfect in Seattle's Defense for that time being, but once he lost his athleticism & got injured that was it for him.

Now look at Patrick Peterson; a freak athlete with elite Speed, size & Ball skills; He could travel all over the field covering the XWR, the Flanker or the Slot. He's still in the league right now because he wasn't confined to one side of the field & could actually move.

He didn't play with any top tier Safeties behind him, still had a HOF career, because he didn't need that help in order to cover down the field. He could rely on his own traits & skill set.

Same with Darrelle Revis; nobody remembers who his Safeties were, but everybody remembers Revis Island.

Advertisement
Richard Sherman was a Zone cover 4 Corner that could only play Boundary, he never traveled.

Of course he needed Safety help, he had limitations with his lack of speed & lateral footwork. What he was, was a big tall Zone Corner that fit perfect in Seattle's Defense for that time being, but once he lost his athleticism & got injured that was it for him.

Now look at Patrick Peterson; a freak athlete with elite Speed, size & Ball skills; He could travel all over the field covering the XWR, the Flanker or the Slot. He's still in the league right now because he wasn't confined to one side of the field & could actually move.

He didn't play with any top tier Safeties behind him, still had a HOF career, because he didn't need that help in order to cover down the field. He could rely on his own traits & skill set.

Same with Darrelle Revis; nobody remembers who his Safeties were, but everybody remembers Revis Island.

Sherm also was a press corner that allowed him to get an advantage & masque his speed, which is y he said put on the tape and u’ll see I’m football fast, not combine fast (same as Terrell Suggs). But to ur point,

Revis
Peterson
Deion
Aneas Williams
Darrell Green
Charles Woodson
Eric Allen

I can name off a slew of CBs who were lock down Corners w/o Safety help. In today’s game, those guys r extremely valuable. Again, not discounting what Safeties mean, but if u got cheeks CBs, u’ll find out real soon how vulnerable ur overall pass defense will be.

Advertisement
Pat Surtain JR
Ahmad Gardner
Jaylon Johnson
Devon Witherspoon
AJ Terrell
DaRon Bland
L'Jarius Sneed
Jaire Alexander

Are the best CB's in the league, none of them have a dominant Safety behind them.
Mcduffie is offended

Pat Surtain JR
Ahmad Gardner
Jaylon Johnson
Devon Witherspoon
AJ Terrell
DaRon Bland
L'Jarius Sneed
Jaire Alexander

You probably should have read what I said then brother. I already stated you need to atleast know what you're getting at safety being someone reliable in the pass and against the run. Everyone of them has atleast that. Either way this is pointless. You obviously got your opinion. Funny **** to this is as a canes fan I've been said how the dudes everyone was tooting the horns for at safety were responsible for ALOT of blown coverages where it seemed the corners were exposed. Everyone including you if I recall has consistently **** on the corners throughout the years simply because it appeared they routinely gave up big plays. Now move forward just one year and two people previously stated as blowing coverages in rique in particular (had a he'll of a year opposite jaylon) and dj made people question if maybe they all of a sudden learned how to play again. It's consistent safety play that gives a corner the extra nudge quite often. You try a make it seem like I don't want us to have lock down corners. Remember Mike Jackson. He was a lock down corner here when we had atleast consistent safety play & a dominant line. Is what it is. U got ur opinion which you have reason to stick with and I got mine. Luckily neither of em mean **** to what we'll be doing moving forward.

Advertisement
Sherm also was a press corner that allowed him to get an advantage & masque his speed, which is y he said put on the tape and u’ll see I’m football fast, not combine fast (same as Terrell Suggs). But to ur point,

Revis
Peterson
Deion
Aneas Williams
Darrell Green
Charles Woodson
Eric Allen

I can name off a slew of CBs who were lock down Corners w/o Safety help. In today’s game, those guys r extremely valuable. Again, not discounting what Safeties mean, but if u got cheeks CBs, u’ll find out real soon how vulnerable ur overall pass defense will be.
Half those dudes you mentioned also played safety... and not a single one of them didn't have safety help. Just cause yall found those safeties not to have value don't make it real. Maybe look who some of those safeties were before yall say that. Might be amused to see you were pretty far off. Maybe not all of their names ring for yall because as a safety you won't get the glamor a corner will get. But the stats speak for themselves.

Half those dudes you mentioned also played safety... and not a single one of them didn't have safety help. Just cause yall found those safeties not to have value don't make it real. Maybe look who some of those safeties were before yall say that. Might be amused to see you were pretty far off. Maybe not all of their names ring for yall because as a safety you won't get the glamor a corner will get. But the stats speak for themselves.

OK.

(See there guys, I’m not going to die on this hill)

Advertisement
Back