Monday Recruiting Chatter - 1/21

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
**The Canes just had a big recruiting weekend in terms of official visits, as two transfer targets (S Bubba Bolden and DT Chigozie Nnoruka) and three 2019 targets (OT Darius Washington, DE Ja’Darien Boykin, and CB Christian Williams) all were in Coral Gables this weekend for their OV's. Aside from Bolden, who is already a solid commit, it was an encouraging weekend as it seems the Canes made moves with every other prospect on campus. Here’s what I heard coming out of the weekend.

**On Bolden: the USC transfer is firmly committed to Miami and this visit only further solidified that.

**On Nnoruka: As I said last week, Miami had already felt like the leader with Nnoruka, and nothing changed that this weekend. I’m under the impression that a big factor here is the city life that Nnoruka became accustomed to at UCLA is helping UM in that he is already comfortable in the type of environment he will be surrounded by at Miami. UM is still expecting him to be a Cane in the end, but Florida is the program to look out for that could potentially still make a move.

**On Boykin: Miami has positioned themselves well with Boykin and there’s not a lot of other competition here, so UM will likely be able to easily add him if they decide to take him into the class. Louisville is the main contender here.

**On Williams: In terms of where they were heading into the weekend, I think Miami made the biggest move with Williams. Although the 4-star corner has been committed to Alabama since April, he did not sign early and is now taking a look around at schools like Miami and Oregon to be sure of his decision with so much turnover on the Crimson Tide coaching staff. I’m told UM likes their chances to win out here, although stealing a recruit from Bama will obviously be no walk in the park if Bama decides he is still a take for them.

**On Washington: Miami was able to get Washington back on campus for a second official visit (NCAA rules allow for that after a head coaching change) this weekend. Academics have been the main factor keeping UM in the game here all along, and they will continue to push for a flip with the Mississippi State commit. I’ve always said this would be a 50-50 recruitment for UM contingent on getting Washington back on campus, so you have to like seeing Washington in Coral Gables yet again. Miami feels good about their chances to ultimately make the flip.

**UM is putting on the full court press to flip DE Khris Bogle from Alabama, and I’m told from a good source that Bogle is still open to that idea. Like with Williams, all of the coaching turnover at Bama is giving Bogle pause, so there is definitely more legs to this than simply internet rumors. However, I’m told that a big hurdle is going to be getting mom on board, as she seems set with Alabama at this time. Tennessee was right there with UM and Bama at the end and they could still be a legitimate option as well.

**I’m told Miami feels they are trending down with RB target Mark-Antony Richards. The 4-star athlete from Wellington has been very quiet the past few months and has seemed to put more distance between himself and Miami; I’m told that’s not a coincidence. UM getting rid of primary recruiter and longtime family friend Thomas Brown from the staff has hurt UM’s chances too. I don’t think it’s over, but Miami at the very least has work to do these last few weeks to land the legacy recruit.

**In terms of the linebacker board, UM is still heavily pursuing both Eugene Asante and OC Brothers for the last spot in the class. Of the two, I’m told the main priority is actually Asante, as UM absolutely fell in love with his film, but that Miami feels more confident at this time with Brothers due to his proximity to UM. Brothers is currently planning on taking an OV to Miami next weekend, while Miami is still trying to get Asante to set a trip to Coral Gables.

Advertisement
Thanks for the write up Stefan. Williams and Washington would obviously be huge flips/gets, and it is nice to hear we made up a lot of room with Williams.

Any word on Trevon Hill - lots and lots of smoke.

Advertisement
Thanks for the write up Stefan. Williams and Washington would obviously be huge flips/gets, and it is nice to hear we made up a lot of room with Williams.

Any word on Trevon Hill - lots and lots of smoke.
Looks like Miami wont target him till after signing day since he cant graduate until May anyways

Advertisement
Advertisement
Good news pretty much all around. Hope Washington comes on board we need more depth but is Jay Ward still visiting later or any other cb?

**The Canes just had a big recruiting weekend in terms of official visits, as two transfer targets (S Bubba Bolden and DT Chigozie Nnoruka) and three 2019 targets (OT Darius Washington, DE Ja’Darien Boykin, and CB Christian Williams) all were in Coral Gables this weekend for their OV's. Aside from Bolden, who is already a solid commit, it was an encouraging weekend as it seems the Canes made moves with every other prospect on campus. Here’s what I heard coming out of the weekend.

**On Bolden: the USC transfer is firmly committed to Miami and this visit only further solidified that.

**On Nnoruka: As I said last week, Miami had already felt like the leader with Nnoruka, and nothing changed that this weekend. I’m under the impression that a big factor here is the city life that Nnoruka became accustomed to at UCLA is helping UM in that he is already comfortable in the type of environment he will be surrounded by at Miami. UM is still expecting him to be a Cane in the end, but Florida is the program to look out for that could potentially still make a move.

**On Boykin: Miami has positioned themselves well with Boykin and there’s not a lot of other competition here, so UM will likely be able to easily add him if they decide to take him into the class. Louisville is the main contender here.

**On Williams: In terms of where they were heading into the weekend, I think Miami made the biggest move with Williams. Although the 4-star corner has been committed to Alabama since April, he did not sign early and is now taking a look around at schools like Miami and Oregon to be sure of his decision with so much turnover on the Crimson Tide coaching staff. I’m told UM likes their chances to win out here, although stealing a recruit from Bama will obviously be no walk in the park if Bama decides he is still a take for them.

**On Washington: Miami was able to get Washington back on campus for a second official visit (NCAA rules allow for that after a head coaching change) this weekend. Academics have been the main factor keeping UM in the game here all along, and they will continue to push for a flip with the Mississippi State commit. I’ve always said this would be a 50-50 recruitment for UM contingent on getting Washington back on campus, so you have to like seeing Washington in Coral Gables yet again. Miami feels good about their chances to ultimately make the flip.

**UM is putting on the full court press to flip DE Khris Bogle from Alabama, and I’m told from a good source that Bogle is still open to that idea. Like with Williams, all of the coaching turnover at Bama is giving Bogle pause, so there is definitely more legs to this than simply internet rumors. However, I’m told that a big hurdle is going to be getting mom on board, as she seems set with Alabama at this time. Tennessee was right there with UM and Bama at the end and they could still be a legitimate option as well.

**I’m told Miami feels they are trending down with RB target Mark-Antony Richards. The 4-star athlete from Wellington has been very quiet the past few months and has seemed to put more distance between himself and Miami; I’m told that’s not a coincidence. UM getting rid of primary recruiter and longtime family friend Thomas Brown from the staff has hurt UM’s chances too. I don’t think it’s over, but Miami at the very least has work to do these last few weeks to land the legacy recruit.

**In terms of the linebacker board, UM is still heavily pursuing both Eugene Asante and OC Brothers for the last spot in the class. Of the two, I’m told the main priority is actually Asante, as UM absolutely fell in love with his film, but that Miami feels more confident at this time with Brothers due to his proximity to UM. Brothers is currently planning on taking an OV to Miami next weekend, while Miami is still trying to get Asante to set a trip to Coral Gables.
one thing that blew me away was asante being a two star on sites, he looks fast on tape.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back