MNW vs Lowndes Co

THe raw talent is still good down here, but other areas are catching up. And they’re actually building and developing teams whereas the S Florida mercenaries are transferring every year and create zero team or local pride. They’re solely concerned with securing bags and living off the dying reputation of S Florida playing the best football in the country.

Tough to build good teams this way, and that’s especially true when the coaches, for the most part, are guttersnipes.
Hard hitting analysis but the truth hurts and you are right. Explains some of Miami struggles too in this landscape of college football.

Advertisement
This I know. The one thing that's become abundantly clear the last decade or two, the talent gap doesn't hold out like it used to. These other schools are killing it in the strength and nutrition department. S. Florida kids are so far behind that entering college, it isn't even funny. Makes evaluations tougher than it ever was.
Back in the late '80's I heard that Jimmy Johnson's staff liked to recruit Texas kids because they came in well-schooled. I doubt that whichever coach said that (I'm guessing Butch is one likely candidate since he recruited Texas a lot I think) would not have said that if the South Florida kids were comparable. What South Florida had was lots of raw talent, but I suspect the kids were probably not that we'll coached (and probably didn't have the greatest nutrition and weight programs either).

Things apparently haven't changed all that much.

I'm surprised the schools even gave the money to travel to games out of state. They apparently don't have money for much else that schools in other states do.

One advantage that Florida high schools had, and might still have, is spring practice. Years ago I was speaking to an assistant at Howard in D.C. He was sharing an apartment with Rubin Carter, our former All-American NT from the '70's. Both had come over from the Broncos staff to coach with Howard's new coach, Steve Wilson, after the Broncos had let a bunch of coaches go. As I remember, his name was Willie West, a guy who played DB in the NFL for a number of years. He told me the big advantage to recruiting Florida players is that the schools down there had spring practice, while high schools up north generally did not. That gave Florida talent an edge. I had called Rubin but he was out of town, down in Florida recruiting.

I'm sure that's not the only advantage. It seems that kids get so much work outside of the school team with 7-0n-7's, camps, etc., that I'm not sure that's much of an advantage anymore.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back