MLB draft

Advertisement
McKendry going to TB might be the best thing for him. They have a rep for developing pitchers. The way they are working their rotation, he might only have to pitch a couple of innings every 4 days. They might also use him in their bullpen to pitch in matchup situations.

That's why I was hoping the Cardinals would take him, excellent development of pitchers.

Di Mare said in an article in the Herald that the team was receiving less assistance from Academic (or other) Scholarships than in the past, but that going forward they would be receiving more assistance. That came from his article.

Not sure how that works exactly. Awarding scholarships to baseball players is a complicated and delicate issue. He stated that they would somewhat ameliorate the tuition differential via greater access to scholarships.

From what I understand, Vanderbilt provides ubiquitous tuition and they are able to fund most of the remaining baseball scholarships (15.5) via academic, financial or ethnicity scholarships. For every male athlete that receives tuition assistance, there is another female athlete receiving the same assistance. It required billions to fund this, however...........

Vandy's tuition-assistance is based more on having a huge endowment fund that pays for scholarships for all students. UM's scholarship money pool is not quite as large.

I know that one knucklehead on this board is going to criticize my postings (even if I copied and pasted something that he himself wrote), but NCAA baseball has to change the narrative on this, overall. There is NO REASON to do equivalency-scholarships in baseball. Also, seize the opportunity to offer more scholarship money to women's softball at the same time.

NCAA baseball needs to negotiate better TV contracts (nationally and by-conference as well) and they need to go to full-scholarships for baseball and softball. Bigger (and PAID) coaching staffs. Better harmonizing of the NCAA and MLB calendars for the draft.

And, on an individual university basis, yes, Miami (and lame-duck Frenk) needs to do the next billion-dollar campaign with a firm focus on endowing scholarships. Once the new dorms are built, there will not be AS MUCH of a need to build buildings, so the money needs to go towards scholarship endowment, which will have a residual benefit on all equivalency-scholarship sports.

It is getting harder and harder to convince a student-athlete to spend 60% of a $50,000 tuition bill at Miami when he/she can spend 60% of a state-tuition cost that is less than $10,000.

We will lose Veliz. He wants to play pro ball.

That's what I assumed but is a big loss - he was really getting comfortable in the closer's role the last half of the year. I love Federman's passion, but he seems to get rattled too easily to be that guy.

Advertisement
It's not all that complicated. Every kid's transcript is evaluated, and merit-based scholarships are awarded based on test scores, GPAs and essays. If we're not getting as much as we did in the past it's because our players' academic resumes didn't deserve it. But make no mistake, we're not going with your plan of having merit-based academic (wink, wink) scholarships just for baseball players.

Typical know-nothing post.

A lot of the challenge is based on TIMING. Even if a baseball player qualifies for academic-merit scholarship consideration, the decision on a particular school is not made as early in the school year as it is for students who apply based solely on academics, thus by the time that these scholarship decisions are finally made and/or finalized, the scholarship money may have already been awarded to non-student-athletes.

There are ways around this, but I'm sure you are going to sneer and insult everyone who proposes practical solutions. It's your brand, it's what you do.

I know you take some heat on this board but I would love to sit down with you and find out what you are all about. I am a pretty level headed guy (unless I am behind a bench in a rink coaching) and chatting you up would be something I would find fascinating. I mean this in the best possible way. The antagonize button has been disabled my man.

Now back to the info so this does not derail things for the others.

If you've seen a gaping video, you've seen Jagr.

He only cares about his own opinion, there is no "sitting down with him and finding out what he is all about". You could propose 10 great ideas for discussion, and he will arrogantly tell you that you know nothing about [insert topic here] while acting as if he is the only person with any authority on the subject.

I've been going to UM baseball games since 1987. I tutored for the Athletic Department and as a result I knew most of the baseball players. I was in classes with Gino DiMare and other baseball players. But somehow, this Jagr guy will act as if people like myself "don't understand NCAA baseball" and that we can't possibly have any good ideas on how to improve it or move it into a modern era.

Some people are stuck in the past, or stuck in a particular same-old-same-old way of doing things. That's Jagr.

Never forget this. In my lifetime, college football, as a sport, as an institution, as an event, as a force, has EXPLODED. And it wasn't because football was some unique thing. NCAA v. Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma. 468 U.S. 85 (1984). If you don't know what that is, go look it up.

And since 1984, the TV exposure for college football has transformed the game.

Given the relative popularity (and attendance) for pro football vs. pro baseball, there is NO REASON that NCAA baseball should be so inferior to NCAA football. We need something similar to that Supreme Court case to transform NCAA baseball.

I'm sick and tired of going to UM baseball games with half of the residents of Del Boca Vista (Phase III).

Vandy's tuition-assistance is based more on having a huge endowment fund that pays for scholarships for all students. UM's scholarship money pool is not quite as large.

I know that one knucklehead on this board is going to criticize my postings (even if I copied and pasted something that he himself wrote), but NCAA baseball has to change the narrative on this, overall. There is NO REASON to do equivalency-scholarships in baseball. Also, seize the opportunity to offer more scholarship money to women's softball at the same time.

NCAA baseball needs to negotiate better TV contracts (nationally and by-conference as well) and they need to go to full-scholarships for baseball and softball. Bigger (and PAID) coaching staffs. Better harmonizing of the NCAA and MLB calendars for the draft.

And, on an individual university basis, yes, Miami (and lame-duck Frenk) needs to do the next billion-dollar campaign with a firm focus on endowing scholarships. Once the new dorms are built, there will not be AS MUCH of a need to build buildings, so the money needs to go towards scholarship endowment, which will have a residual benefit on all equivalency-scholarship sports.

It is getting harder and harder to convince a student-athlete to spend 60% of a $50,000 tuition bill at Miami when he/she can spend 60% of a state-tuition cost that is less than $10,000.

You are right.

Am not doing the research again, but the NCAA bylaws clearly say that the 11.7 scholarship are exempt from merit, academic, ethnicity and need based awards. Obviously, we cannot give a Perfect Game All-Star with a 2.0 GPA a "full-ride" over a Valedictorian from a highly economically disadvantaged area. Doing something so asinine will undoubtedly result in reprisals.

UM does have a plethora of scholarships for students of "Cuban descent that show demonstrative financial need and academic prowess." Hopefully, you can find 2 recruits a year that possess sterling grades.

All students at Vanderbilt now receive some form of "tuition assistance". If you look at a stream from early this year, you will find a multitude of articles on this subject. Vanderbilt laughs at the 11.7 limit and there is nothing the NCAA can do about it. Stanford is the best run school in the country and they are copying "Operation Vanderbilt". Approximately 60% of students at Rice are awarded some form of aid.....

UM cannot fund that. We would need at least a few billion. We can try and see if there are other ways we could establish scholarships that do not run afoul of NCAA bylaws. Also, for every baseball scholarship, you need one endowed for a female sport as well. If UM can find a way to lawfully fund 5 baseball players every year, that is all we need.

Am going to Google the Di Mare interview in the Herald.

Advertisement

He only cares about his own opinion, there is no "sitting down with him and finding out what he is all about". You could propose 10 great ideas for discussion, and he will arrogantly tell you that you know nothing about [insert topic here] while acting as if he is the only person with any authority on the subject.

I've been going to UM baseball games since 1987. I tutored for the Athletic Department and as a result I knew most of the baseball players. I was in classes with Gino DiMare and other baseball players. But somehow, this Jagr guy will act as if people like myself "don't understand NCAA baseball" and that we can't possibly have any good ideas on how to improve it or move it into a modern era.

Some people are stuck in the past, or stuck in a particular same-old-same-old way of doing things. That's Jagr.

Never forget this. In my lifetime, college football, as a sport, as an institution, as an event, as a force, has EXPLODED. And it wasn't because football was some unique thing. NCAA v. Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma. 468 U.S. 85 (1984). If you don't know what that is, go look it up.

Given the relative popularity (and attendance) for pro football vs. pro baseball, there is NO REASON that NCAA baseball should be so inferior to NCAA football. We need something similar to that Supreme Court case to transform NCAA baseball.

I'm sick and tired of going to UM baseball games with half of the residents of Del Boca Vista (Phase III).
My man this is the post of the week. That last line was the kicker too.

One thing. Google the Turtle Thomas article of him at LSU where he discusses how Louisiana, Florida, Georgia and Tennessee's state lottery awards make recruiting 1000x easier than at Miami.

We are competitive because the Americans and Cubans of South Florida have been fanatical baseball acolytes for 60 years. We will never crater like USC or Stanford because we have such a deep pool to choose from and benefit from three generations of baseball fanaticism in the City.

You are right.

Am not doing the research again, but the NCAA bylaws clearly say that the 11.7 scholarship are exempt from merit, academic, ethnicity and need based awards. Obviously, we cannot give a Perfect Game All-Star with a 2.0 GPA a "full-ride" over a Valedictorian from a highly economically disadvantaged area. Doing something so asinine will undoubtedly result in reprisals.

UM does have a plethora of scholarships for students of "Cuban descent that show demonstrative financial need and academic prowess." Hopefully, you can find 2 recruits a year that possess sterling grades.

All students at Vanderbilt now receive some form of "tuition assistance". If you look at a stream from early this year, you will find a multitude of articles on this subject. Vanderbilt laughs at the 11.7 limit and there is nothing the NCAA can do about it. Stanford is the best run school in the country and they are copying "Operation Vanderbilt". Approximately 60% of students at Rice are awarded some form of aid.....

UM cannot fund that. We would need at least a few billion. We can try and see if there are other ways we could establish scholarships that do not run afoul of NCAA bylaws. Also, for every baseball scholarship, you need one endowed for a female sport as well. If UM can find a way to lawfully fund 5 baseball players every year, that is all we need.

Am going to Google the Di Mare interview in the Herald.

Absolutely correct.

What Vandy, Stanford, and Rice have in common is that they are 100-plus-year private schools in major metropolitan areas, and rich people have been donating money to those schools for over a century. They have ENDOWMENTS that kick Miami's collective **** (though Miami has done a great job of fund-raising for the last 40 years).

There is NO NCAA BYLAW that can prohibit a university from giving free tuition to every student. Miami could do it, we would just have to raise a ton of money. 8,000 full-time students at $50K per year would be $400M per year. Assuming a 5% rate of return, you'd need an $8 billion endowment. And, yes, the tuition prices would go up in the future, so we'd need to keep doing the fund-raising. But think about it, that would give us FREE TUITION to Miami, assuming you got in. Miami has done billion-dollar campaigns (multi-year fund-raisers) twice previously. Imagine if we did one for endowed scholarships every 10 years. Eventually, we would get there.

And, ****, we already have a fair number of endowed scholarships already, and what if we only needed HALF tuition for every student?

Just trying to contextualize all of this, since I love my alma mater.

One last point.

If you need (roughly) a million-dollar donation to fund a $50K per year scholarship (assuming 5% return), then that means we need to get 8,000 donors to donate $1 million each.

Several scholarships are already endowed, but I would imagine it's not 1,000 endowed full-tuition scholarships (though it might approach that number if you added all the partial-tuition scholarships together, and I am including athletic scholarships in this total, as student-athletes count towards our enrollment, and are obviously funded (take a look at your football program, or your media guide).

So we need $7 billion. Or 7,000 alums and/or UM donors to give $1 million apiece. I know that if I ever hit the lottery, I will be endowing several UM full-tuition scholarships.

Goals.

Advertisement

This the key - enough with the bricks and mortar. Time to start investing in the students and student-athletes. And they are the ones who will be funding the future endowments.

Became a Canes fan in 85’ due to TV. The baseball team winning in Omaha helped the cause as well. Interesting stuff. I watched the 83 team in Omaha and a kid from Weymouth, Ma played for Stanford right around that time as well so there was a local interest. TV made me a Canes fan. Incidentally, I played with Carey’s little brother who went on to play in the show and won the Vezina.

College baseball is great because who the **** knows what will happen from inning to inning.

Reupping from last year with Day 3 about to start: Our last Junior not to sign in the 20th round or better was Eric Erickson in the 20th in 2009. The highest more recently was Ruiz in the 28th in '15 and Radziewski in the 29th in '13. It only worked out for Radziewski who went in the 9th round the following year. Erickson was drafted in the 34th three years and multiple arm injuries later.

Advertisement
Typical know-nothing post.

A lot of the challenge is based on TIMING. Even if a baseball player qualifies for academic-merit scholarship consideration, the decision on a particular school is not made as early in the school year as it is for students who apply based solely on academics, thus by the time that these scholarship decisions are finally made and/or finalized, the scholarship money may have already been awarded to non-student-athletes.

There are ways around this, but I'm sure you are going to sneer and insult everyone who proposes practical solutions. It's your brand, it's what you do.

Players who are good enough to play at Miami make their decision well before it’s time to hand out academic scholarships. ****, we already know almost the whole 2020 recruiting class, and the earliest application deadline is November 1, 2019. Athletes know they are going to Miami before regular students do.

The problem with your condescension is that I easily refute your points with just a few basic facts. Did you really think that our baseball players decide later than regular students? I mean, you’re literally 180 degrees incorrect. And I can show you the list that proves it.

Van Belle is the key. Getting him back gives us a real shot at ACC title and national seed, which is almost a walk to the Supers.

Veliz is leaving. McKendry is leaving. We will probably lose a more few recruits either due to draft or because they don't fit once numbers are reassessed. Cal Conley types.

Next year, we will lose Van Belle, Cecconi (draft eligible sophomore), McMahon, Federman, Keysor (may lose him this year) so the staff needs to be proactive to be developing for the year after right now.

Well, you don’t understand NCAA baseball, and you prove it over and over. Tell us again how we should have the ACC tournament at PNC Park and how baseball players don’t know where they’re going until late in the process.

I really believe we will lose Veliz. It’ll be a big loss but getting these young pitchers in here will help offset that loss. At least one of them will help fill that bullpen, and Federman will move to the closer role. I think it’s easier for freshman to come in and only have to throw an inning or two and let it loose. We need another power arm in the back end. I just hope one of McFarlane or Eskew will step into a starter role by years end.

Advertisement
Back