MLB draft

Depends a lot on who’s on scholarship. We don’t generally have a big surplus of “free” players. Our issue tends to be the 27 scholarship player limit. A guy like Moore, who Lance mentioned was a walk on, should be more likely to come back. Cloonan does seem like a good candidate. He’ll probably be the 6th or 7th outfielder here if Del is still in RF, but is good enough to play somewhere.

I wouldn’t be surprised if a couple guys towards the lower end of the recruiting class don’t end up showing up in the fall either. It seems like we never end up with all our undrafted guys.

Good point about scholarships. Does anyone know the scholarship allotments? Or is that not made public?

Advertisement
Good point about scholarships. Does anyone know the scholarship allotments? Or is that not made public?

Those are not made public. FERPA laws. If 11.7 scholarships were divided evenly among 27 guys, that's .43 each. And every scholarship player must get .25. So you would figure that a new, non-blue-chip freshman is going to get .25, while your junior gamechangers might get .60.

Those are not made public. FERPA laws. If 11.7 scholarships were divided evenly among 27 guys, that's .43 each. And every scholarship player must get .25. So you would figure that a new, non-blue-chip freshman is going to get .25, while your junior gamechangers might get .60.

Preciate it. I knew the minimum was .25 just not how many were on scholarship and if the university published it.

Advertisement

Di Mare said in an article in the Herald that the team was receiving less assistance from Academic (or other) Scholarships than in the past, but that going forward they would be receiving more assistance. That came from his article.

Not sure how that works exactly. Awarding scholarships to baseball players is a complicated and delicate issue. He stated that they would somewhat ameliorate the tuition differential via greater access to scholarships.

From what I understand, Vanderbilt provides ubiquitous tuition and they are able to fund most of the remaining baseball scholarships (15.5) via academic, financial or ethnicity scholarships. For every male athlete that receives tuition assistance, there is another female athlete receiving the same assistance. It required billions to fund this, however...........

Eskew had a big number to keep him from going to UM. Kid always wanted be a Cane and looks like that’s gonna happen. Heck of an athlete on top of being 90-94 free and easy. Played in same district as Lala.

Di Mare said in an article in the Herald that the team was receiving less assistance from Academic (or other) Scholarships than in the past, but that going forward they would be receiving more assistance. That came from his article.

Not sure how that works exactly. Awarding scholarships to baseball players is a complicated and delicate issue. He stated that they would somewhat ameliorate the tuition differential via greater access to scholarships.

It's not all that complicated. Every kid's transcript is evaluated, and merit-based scholarships are awarded based on test scores, GPAs and essays. If we're not getting as much as we did in the past it's because our players' academic resumes didn't deserve it. But make no mistake, we're not going with your plan of having merit-based academic (wink, wink) scholarships just for baseball players.

I think its a safe bet Mcfarlane will be a Cane. Rumblings going in were that he was firm on his pledge and these first 2 days should only solidify that. Would like to see Eskew slip a little further before saying hes a lock to be on campus tho.

If true on McFarlane, I love the kids that want to be Canes from the start.

Advertisement

From what I understand, Vanderbilt provides ubiquitous tuition and they are able to fund most of the remaining baseball scholarships (15.5) via academic, financial or ethnicity scholarships. For every male athlete that receives tuition assistance, there is another female athlete receiving the same assistance. It required billions to fund this, however...........
This fire hydrant is going to get peed on again... no dispespect to your post. I am curious about scholarships in baseball because it is like hockey but this could turn into a ****ing contest about right and wrong. I have read this book before. Who knows, maybe it won’t.

This fire hydrant is going to get peed on again... no dispespect to your post. I am curious about scholarships in baseball because it is like hockey but this could turn into a ****ing contest about right and wrong. I have read this book before. Who knows, maybe it won’t.

There is no argument over who is right and wrong. This isn't an opinion-based discussion. There are truths, and he doesn't know them.

Advertisement
There is no argument over who is right and wrong. This isn't an opinion-based discussion. There are truths, and he doesn't know them.
I know you take some heat on this board but I would love to sit down with you and find out what you are all about. I am a pretty level headed guy (unless I am behind a bench in a rink coaching) and chatting you up would be something I would find fascinating. I mean this in the best possible way. The antagonize button has been disabled my man.

Now back to the info so this does not derail things for the others.

I know you take some heat on this board but I would love to sit down with you and find out what you are all about. I am a pretty level headed guy (unless I am behind a bench in a rink coaching) and chatting you up would be something I would find fascinating. I mean this in the best possible way. The antagonize button has been disabled my man.

Now back to the info so this does not derail things for the others.
You wanna kiss him or something? Yea he knows his **** but he’s a Gator and is a ****y *** ************.

Advertisement
This thread has been a huge help making sense of the MLB draft madness. It is a crazy system in place between the high school vs college commitment, slot money, taking players for below slot, etc. Not to mention the fact that it is literally in the middle of the.college baseball postseasons

What I am taking from all of this is we getting just about everyone back except maybe mckendry, and only losing lugo and one more as signees... next year could be a great one.

What I am taking from all of this is we getting just about everyone back except maybe mckendry, and only losing lugo and one more as signees... next year could be a great one.

I think the biggest problem in the Ron Fraser building this week is deciding who to tell that they aren't coming back. With hardly anyone leaving through the draft and graduation, and a nice size recruiting class coming in, there is not room for everyone.

zero chance he was ever coming here. If any of our commits go in the 1st 10 rounds they ain't coming

Last year four players drafted in the top-10 rounds did not sign. All of them were 1st round or 1st round supplemental picks. Carter Stewart was because of a failed physical. Gunnar Hoglund was because of a reneged commitment from the team. Matt McLain and JT Ginn I am not sure of the reason. Could simply be wanted to go to school no matter what.

If they go in the top-10 rounds, they are signing.

Advertisement
Back