MLB draft

Advertisement
If we finish today with no more high schoolers getting drafted who do you think ends up leaving to make room? I know we dont have a lot leaving. Mckendry most likely but who else? Im sure Veliz will be drafted..Maybe crosbie, Moore, quinones. some of the rarely used bullpen guys? I know it all normally works itself out just curious on everyone's opinions

If we finish today with no more high schoolers getting drafted who do you think ends up leaving to make room? I know we dont have a lot leaving. Mckendry most likely but who else? Im sure Veliz will be drafted..Maybe crosbie, Moore, quinones. some of the rarely used bullpen guys? I know it all normally works itself out just curious on everyone's opinions
Somebody close to the program would have to give you that info. All kinds of options for kids, leave for a year come back, baseball has that at least, options.

Gotta believe Paige, Crosbie, and Sparber are on the short list. Cloonan as well. Idk what pitchers will be on that list. I for one don’t care what year they are, but DiMare and Arteaga might value experience. Who knows

Advertisement
McKendry going to TB might be the best thing for him. They have a rep for developing pitchers. The way they are working their rotation, he might only have to pitch a couple of innings every 4 days. They might also use him in their bullpen to pitch in matchup situations.

This feels like a home run on the HS recruits. There was little chance we were getting Lugo to campus, and you'd think the highly thought of guys wouldn't sign for post Round 10 money, right?

Advertisement
I didn't know what to expect, 2 though, I thought minimum 4 at this stage, and I wasn't counting the eskew kid that emerged. We all know we arent at that elite talent level yet, this would be a great start in changing that.

Last edited:
This feels like a home run on the HS recruits. There was little chance we were getting Lugo to campus, and you'd think the highly thought of guys wouldn't sign for post Round 10 money, right?

Pitchers are more likely than bats to sign post round 10. It’s easier to convince guys who’s careers can end in one pitch to take some money and on top of that, pro development

I didn't know what to expect, 2 though, I thought minimum 4 at this stage, and I wasn't counting the Askew kid that emerged. We all know we arent at that elite talent level yet, this would be a great start in changing that.

And Perfect Game currently has us with the number 1 ranked class for both '20 and '21. Sounds a little too good to be true, but today's draft bodes well for the future.

Advertisement
Pitchers are more likely than bats to sign post round 10. It’s easier to convince guys who’s careers can end in one pitch to take some money and on top of that, pro development

Good point, but if their rankings (at least for McFarlane, Eskew, and Diaz) were indicative of their talent, sounds like they may have had a much bigger number in mind than what teams were willing to offer.

Certainly looks good, but I always feel better after the 12th or 13th round.

Hall pretty much announced he will make his way to campus via twitter
Screenshot_20190604-175615_Twitter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Hall was projected top 250 about every list I saw 5-6 months ago. Thought it was foregone he wouldn't make it. I need to keep up with them better.

Depends a lot on who’s on scholarship. We don’t generally have a big surplus of “free” players. Our issue tends to be the 27 scholarship player limit. A guy like Moore, who Lance mentioned was a walk on, should be more likely to come back. Cloonan does seem like a good candidate. He’ll probably be the 6th or 7th outfielder here if Del is still in RF, but is good enough to play somewhere.

I wouldn’t be surprised if a couple guys towards the lower end of the recruiting class don’t end up showing up in the fall either. It seems like we never end up with all our undrafted guys.

I think its a safe bet Mcfarlane will be a Cane. Rumblings going in were that he was firm on his pledge and these first 2 days should only solidify that. Would like to see Eskew slip a little further before saying hes a lock to be on campus tho.

Advertisement
Back