MLB draft

Kids get better in college these days. Honestly taking college kids is somewhat of a newer philosophy. Of course not entirely, but every year it seems like more and more college kids are taken early. Maturity and proving you can do it at a higher level, typically means you’re less likely to bust
Oh it is definitely the new way, and like you mentioned, these guys are getting called up in same year, a lot. Tre Turner, Moran, lots of ACC guys, of course the **** Alonso and so on. That shift has already happened.

Advertisement
Starting to get in the senior saver range. You don’t see too many high school players rounds 8-10.

I feel for McKendry though. He’s losing a lot of money.

Advertisement
Starting to get in the senior saver range. You don’t see too many high school players rounds 8-10.

I feel for McKendry though. He’s losing a lot of money.
Or he comes back has an incredible year and watches his stock rise. You could sense when no pitchers were taken in the first what 6/7 picks, they weren't that impressed with the talent pool. I can't remember that ever happening. Of course some of the bats of the young kids, my gosh, Witt jr especially, yeah they are so much better than we were back then. Year round baseball has significantly improved the overall talent pool.

Advertisement
My first thought was he would sign as well. Makes no sense without that discussion to take a kid wanting a big bonus in the 3rd. I think he came to his senses

Yep. He'll sign. Rule of thumb is if a high schooler is drafted in first 5 rounds will sign because discussions have already been held. If a high school player is drafted 6-10 still most likely w/discussions already happening, but also look at how many 4th year college players have been drafted by that team, as they sign under slot.

The one caveat is if during a post draft medical check by teams a red flag arises. Then all bets are off.

I know. I just hadn’t noticed he in particular was.

And technically it actually is within 45 days of the start of the draft and when they turn 21 (at least it used to be that way). So, guys with mid July birthdays and earlier are often eligible as sophomores, and there are typically quite a few. We'll have 2 or 3 next year if my research was accurate, although you hope they stay for the additional year of development.

And technically it actually is within 45 days of the start of the draft and when they turn 21 (at least it used to be that way). So, guys with mid July birthdays and earlier are often eligible as sophomores, and there are typically quite a few. We'll have 2 or 3 next year if my research was accurate, although you hope they stay for the additional year of development.
As long as you have completed your junior year too, right? That was the whole point of the draft being after the academic calendar year was over.

Advertisement
7 done
$187,700 bonus for the last pick of the round - Brock Bell of the State College of Florida Manatee - Sarasota (FL)

only two HS players gone that round

Advertisement
clear through 6
ya start to wonder at this point about the kids that are Canes Juniors and their strategies going forward

McKendry, Veliz, Van Belle, and Amditis
right?

No strategy needed. If you get a decent signing bonus you go. If you’re taken as a senior it’s hard to negotiate, bc you have no leverage. Either you take their bonus or go get a real job.

Advertisement
Back