MLB draft

**** my brothers buddy just got drafted 4th round 2nd pick by KC. Mike Massey junior at U of I. Went to my high school alma mater.

Advertisement
Still looking good almost thru the 5th. Not too many teams we have to worry about who have the money to go above slot which would be needed for any of our HS commits by this point.

Advertisement
Through 5. Always want the best for commits and guys on the team but man let’s hope teams keep passing by them.

Everything I read stated Lugo would be our only top 2-5 round guy, or at least a given, not to be a party pooper, now is when you get the kick in the nuts typically.

Everything I read stated Lugo would be our only top 2-5 round guy, or at least a given, not to be a party pooper, now is when you get the kick in the nuts typically.

Exactly. This is when you think you’re clear and then some team overpays the slot value and steals the kid

Morris summed it up succinctly at a parent's event in Boston in the early 2000's, the trick to baseball recruiting is to find the best players that won't bet drafted and sign. I know it is stating the obvious, but at that time I hadn't thought of it that way,

Advertisement
Exactly. This is when you think you’re clear and then some team overpays the slot value and steals the kid
The saving grace, at least for the incoming kids, the trend to draft more collegiate players, will hopefully get a few in I thought were probably gone. You see guys leave as 17th round picks and some like the TCU kid are in top 50 and still sign. For the current players, have to hope the quest to win a ring is the driving force. I wasn't good enough to have to make that call, almost feel fortunate haha.

Now 4 of the state's top baseball teams have been pillaged before a player from the Canes (UF, FSU, FIU, and now FAU).

Morris summed it up succinctly at a parent's event in Boston in the early 2000's, the trick to baseball recruiting is to find the best players that won't bet drafted and sign. I know it is stating the obvious, but at that time I hadn't thought of it that way,
They move up and down so fast in baseball. Top 15 kid this year was nowhere on the radar last year. Tons of kids switch positions late from ss to pitcher or vice versa and voila, they end up a first round draft day kid. So many scouts and logistics to baseball, that is why I love it though.

The saving grace, at least for the incoming kids, the trend to draft more collegiate players, will hopefully get a few in I thought were probably gone. You see guys leave as 17th round picks and some like the TCU kid are in top 50 and still sign. For the current players, have to hope the quest to win a ring is the driving force. I wasn't good enough to have to make that call, almost feel fortunate haha.

Getting college bats is a smart move for teams. Guys are starting to shoot through the minors a lot faster than they used too. I do understand getting high school arms bc you can control mileage and mold the kids.

They’ll always be guys who don’t want anything to do with school and those who believe going to school can make them a millionaire quicker than signing for $100,000 and waiting for that second contract. All depends on the kid.

Advertisement
Getting college bats is a smart move for teams. Guys are starting to shoot through the minors a lot faster than they used too. I do understand getting high school arms bc you can control mileage and mold the kids.

They’ll always be guys who don’t want anything to do with school and those who believe going to school can make them a millionaire quicker than signing for $100,000 and waiting for that second contract. All depends on the kid.
Yep, see to me that is great but foreign, certainly wasn't the way back when I played. Kids with money were about the only ones that went to college that had a legit choice to make. I knew BJ Surhoff back then pretty decent, he could have made a nice payday but chose UNC. First time I remember that happening ever, I know it did happen some, I just didn't know anybody that got a decent or moderately decent draft that didn't go straight into the pro system.

Mets just took Allan at 89. Will be interesting to see what they offer and if they can get him signed.

They'll sign Allan. If you take a kid there then discussions have already taken place & a figure has been agreed to.

clear through 6
ya start to wonder at this point about the kids that are Canes Juniors and their strategies going forward

McKendry, Veliz, Van Belle, and Amditis
right?

Advertisement
Yep, see to me that is great but foreign, certainly wasn't the way back when I played. Kids with money were about the only ones that went to college that had a legit choice to make. I knew BJ Surhoff back then pretty decent, he could have made a nice payday but chose UNC. First time I remember that happening ever, I know it did happen some, I just didn't know anybody that got a decent or moderately decent draft that didn't go straight into the pro system.

Kids get better in college these days. Honestly taking college kids is somewhat of a newer philosophy. Of course not entirely, but every year it seems like more and more college kids are taken early. Maturity and proving you can do it at a higher level, typically means you’re less likely to bust

clear through 6
ya start to wonder at this point about the kids that are Canes Juniors and their strategies going forward
I don't won't to speak for them but I would make the assumption that the guys that are ready to leave are going to leave no matter where they are picked.

They'll sign Allan. If you take a kid there then discussions have already taken place & a figure has been agreed to.

My first thought was he would sign as well. Makes no sense without that discussion to take a kid wanting a big bonus in the 3rd. I think he came to his senses

Advertisement
Back