Missing the Golden Years...

Advertisement
Golden would have been fine had he hired Diaz. The man did a lot right, but he often whiffed on top D talent because who wanted to play in that D? I'm actually surprised he got as much D talent as he did. Golden's fatal flaw was his loyalty to a horrific fit at DC. Richt's is the exact same, except it's loyalty to himself.

If Richt would just hire an OC he could be spared all of this. Just like had Golden fired No D and implemented a real D he would more than likely still be employed here.
Even trolling I had to neg this one.

Randy comparables, I could have lived with.

Golden would have been fine had he hired Diaz. The man did a lot right, but he often whiffed on top D talent because who wanted to play in that D? I'm actually surprised he got as much D talent as he did. Golden's fatal flaw was his loyalty to a horrific fit at DC. Richt's is the exact same, except it's loyalty to himself.

If Richt would just hire an OC he could be spared all of this. Just like had Golden fired No D and implemented a real D he would more than likely still be employed here.

Everyone keeps saying if Golden fired No D. That was Golden's D as much as it was Dno. They were a package deal. There was never going to be one without the other. Funny thing is when he was hired many were excited because Golden would be bringing his boy who they thought was an elite DC lol For Golden to fire No D, he would have had to fire himself much like Richt with his offense. If the offense doesn't turn around Richt will have a chance to do what Golden couldn't for the good of the the program. Let's see how this plays out.

Last edited:
Everyone keeps saying if Golden fired No D. That was Golden's D as much as it was Golden. They were a package deal. There was never going to be one without the other. Funny thing is when he was hired many were excited because Golden would be bringing his boy who they thought was an elite DC lol For Golden to fire No D, he would have had to fire himself much like Richt with his offense. If the offense doesn't turn around Richt will have a chance to do what Golden couldn't for the good of the the program. Let's see how this plays out.
That is what concerns me with Richt. He is too closely tied to the O, much like Golden was with that crap D.

It was his own defensive scheme he was loyal too. Any DC he hired would had sucked, but if he hired Butch as DC then we would pitching 4 first round picks the last three years.

Advertisement
It was his own defensive scheme he was loyal too. Any DC he hired would had sucked, but if he hired Butch as DC then we would pitching 4 first round picks the last three years.
That was kind of my point. When things are failing badly, you swallow your pride and make changes. Golden wouldn't and got fired. Richt may or may not, but if he doesn't he will not have the career here he wanted. By failing to make changes, he is putting his pride before what is best for the team.

Golden actually attempted to fix the problems.

1. Recuiting- Flopsweat Golden had the foresight to hire Cristobal to be his monster recruiter in the 305 (and improve OL play). Cristobal bailed. What could have been.
Edge: Richt
2. OL- Cristobal would have helped here too, OL play was better than it is now.
Edge: Golden
3. OC- Golden actually lost an OC to the NFL because he was so good
4. WR: both had quality WRs
Edge: Even
5. RB: Duke was one of my favorites. Both coaches had good RBs.
6. TE: Golden had several go to the NFL, Richt is TBD, but current TEs are legit.
7. QB: Rick still using Golden QBs .
8. Defense: If Golden had fired D'No and brought in a real DC, things would have been much different. Still, Diaz is better.
9. Special Teams: Golden by a country mile. ST now are bootycheeks and I expect a disaster every time they are on the field.

Golden wins the coaching showdown 4-2.

D9632A0A-5543-442F-9B62-CCC0E66625A6.gif

That was kind of my point. When things are failing badly, you swallow your pride and make changes. Golden wouldn't and got fired. Richt may or may not, but if he doesn't he will not have the career here he wanted. By failing to make changes, he is putting his pride before what is best for the team.

All coaches are stubborn but the great ones know when to change. I fear Mark merely a good coach and does not know when he is wrong.

I corrected it to 4-4 because of DL and LBs (edge to Rick). So tied. If you want to throw in subjective "intangibles" that's your prerogative. I've tried to look at it as objectively as possible, by position group. If you think I'm wrong on any of the groups, please tell me which ones. I am honestly curious as to where people disagree with the assessment (yes, I know Rick has a better win percentage, that's not what I'm looking at)

Last edited:
Advertisement
If I am looking at buying a car and one costs

I corrected it to 4-4 because of DL and LBs (edge to Rick). So tied. If you want to throw in subjective "intangibles" that's your prerogative. I've tried to look at it as objectively as possible, by position group. If you think I'm wrong on any of the groups, please tell me which ones. I am honestly curious as to where people disagree with the assessment (yes, I know Rick has a better win percentage, that's not what I'm looking at)

AC9A56C6-D9E8-487A-94C1-929774FF4059.gif

Golden actually attempted to fix the problems.

1. Recuiting- Flopsweat Golden had the foresight to hire Cristobal to be his monster recruiter in the 305 (and improve OL play). Cristobal bailed. What could have been.
2. OL- Cristobal would have helped here too, OL play was better than it is now.
3. OC- Golden actually lost an OC to the NFL because he was so good
4. WR: both had quality WRs
5. RB: Duke was one of my favorites. Both coaches had good RBs.
6. TE: Golden had several go to the NFL, Richt is TBD, but current TEs are legit.
7. QB: Rick still using Golden QBs .
8. Defense: If Golden had fired D'No and brought in a real DC, things would have been much different. Still, Diaz is better.
9. Special Teams: Golden by a country mile. ST now are bootycheeks and I expect a disaster every time they are on the field.

Golden wins the coaching showdown 4-2.

Leaving out some team accomplishments...
10 win season- Richt
Win Coastal- Richt
Win a Bowl Game- Richt

And one other thing...
Recruiting- Edge Landslide Richt

Advertisement
Leaving out some team accomplishments...
10 win season- Richt
Win Coastal- Richt
Win a Bowl Game- Richt

And one other thing...
Recruiting- Edge Landslide Richt

What did virtually every Canes fan say after Kirby Smart got UGA to the title game last year: "Oh, but he did it with Mark Richt's players. Let's see what happens year 3 when he has to start playing his own recruits."

Can't just say that only applies to Smart and not to Richt. Year 2 Richt won the ACC coastal with Al Golden's recruits. Year 3 Al Golden went 9-4. I think it's a lock Richt finishes 9-4. Golden didn't get the chance at two bowl games OR the ACC championship game because Miami self-imposed (look it up, UNC was ineligible so Miami would have represented coastal).

It was pretty clear in the FSU game that Richt put Perry in because he thought it was game over, but was saved only because Diaz pulled his *** out the fire and FSU totally collapsed. We should be sitting here with 3 losses. We aren't beating VT in Blacksburg with our garbage offense and ST so we aren't winning the ACC coastal this year.

At the end of year 3, the main difference between 9-4 Al Golden and 9-4 Mark Richt will be $2 million in salary.

I do have to admit to being wrong on one thing: when Miami was trying to find a new HC, I laughed at the idea of Butch Davis being the better coach at Miami. I have to apologize to @Cane Dynasty for that one.

Advertisement
What did virtually every Canes fan say after Kirby Smart got UGA to the title game last year: "Oh, but he did it with Mark Richt's players. Let's see what happens year 3 when he has to start playing his own recruits."

Can't just say that only applies to Smart and not to Richt. Year 2 Richt won the ACC coastal with Al Golden's recruits. Year 3 Al Golden went 9-4. I think it's a lock Richt finishes 9-4. Golden didn't get the chance at two bowl games OR the ACC championship game because Miami self-imposed (look it up, UNC was ineligible so Miami would have represented coastal).

It was pretty clear in the FSU game that Richt put Perry in because he thought it was game over, but was saved only because Diaz pulled his *** out the fire and FSU totally collapsed. We should be sitting here with 3 losses. We aren't beating VT in Blacksburg with our garbage offense and ST so we aren't winning the ACC coastal this year.

At the end of year 3, the main difference between 9-4 Al Golden and 9-4 Mark Richt will be $2 million in salary.

I do have to admit to being wrong on one thing: when Miami was trying to find a new HC, I laughed at the idea of Butch Davis being the better coach at Miami. I have to apologize to @Cane Dynasty for that one.

I don't have to look anything up, Golden would have won the Coastal... with a 5-3 record.

I also have problems with Richt right now, but if you don't think that Mark Richt is better for this program than Golden was, I don't know what to say to you.

Also, can we let the year actually play out. Your supporting your points by telling us what will happen.
What's that billion dollar Mega Ball number for Tuesday night btw.

Advertisement
Back