Missed on Low Hanging Fruit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Class will be small and outside the top 20. Shame because I really liked our last 2 classes. We are going to have to hit the portal hard.

Advertisement
Spells wanted to be treated like a number 1 corner and we didn’t do that. If we double back on him I doubt he signs with WVU over us if we want him. Regardless of what we think of him the staff like wanted and Durant( you don’t bring a kid the last week of visits on a OV if you’re any him. I’ll start getting nervous about the class if we miss on Graves when he announces.

@Cribby explain to them the kid was not at top of the board and had his feelings hurt. oh wait, never mind.
they got rogers and are going all in on graves and Singletary
His quote “Miami playing”...take that as y’all will about how much of a priority this kid was after they clearly broadened the CB board nationally..Rogers, fegan, Graves have to be top 3..singeltary seems to be In play, but I don’t trust 16 year olds words tbh...and no I’m not claiming Spells wasn’t a take I just don’t think he was top priority.

Advertisement
If you were as smart as you claim, you would realize it that if Diaz does miss on the highly rated recruits, it is better that he not waste scholarships on the low hanging fruit that isn't Miami caliber. If you believe that Diaz stinks as a recruiter and evaluator (which your post leads me to believe is the case) and he's destined for failure, then you should want Diaz's replacement to have as many scholarships available instead of inheriting a roster full of mediocre players that every other major program in the state of Florida passed on.
This is a ridiculous comment. You grt 25 ICs a year. Underutilizing them doesn’t allow you to stack them. And UM has been under the 85 roster limit for most of the pst 15 years anyhow.

This is a ridiculous comment. You grt 25 ICs a year. Underutilizing them doesn’t allow you to stack them. And UM has been under the 85 roster limit for most of the pst 15 years anyhow.
If you don't give the IC/scholly to a high school kid, can you not use that same IC and scholly for a portal kid?

@Billy D Williams after starting this thread

Ghost.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement

1.In the era of the transfer portal, you want to leave scholarships available for potential transfers. Since you think Diaz is going to get fired anyways, would you rather he use his last 5 ICs on marginal prospects or leave them open for the next coach to bring in talent to plug holes.

2. You are either being myopic in your view of the roster and think only in year to year terms or don't fully grasp roster management. It has nothing to do with stacking scholarships. You get 85 scholarships in total. A coach has a max of 25 each year. If a coach used all 25 scholarships and no one left early, then in 4 years he would have 100 scholarship players. Obviously that isn't possible so most years you will take less than 25. Schools like Bama and UGA can oversign every single year because they can expect some won't academically qualify, they can drop a kid without repurcussions, or they can tell a kid he needs to grayshirt without having every high school in Bama say that Saban did a kid dirty and they will never send kids to Bama again.

Now you tell me what you think S Fl coaches would be saying about Miami if Diaz took 27 commits and then told two of them "sorry we signed too many and you have to pay your own way."

To make this point more crystal clear let's look at two other private universities that are recognized as football schools but also have good academics.

2016-2020
USC
21, 24, 18, 25, 12

Notre Dame
23, 21, 27, 22, 17

Only once in 5 years did either school sign 25 kids.

If Diaz missed on his big fish and then just decided to max out the scholarships for 2022 with marginal talent, then if 2023 has a bumper crop (which appears to be the case) he won't be able to use all 25 ICs because if could put him over the 85, especially if kids who were projected to declare or graduate end up staying an extra year.

The NCAA giving players a free year of eligibility is going to make recruiting and roster management from 2022-2026 an absolute mess. Kids who would have used up all their eligibility might decide to stay in school an extra year , especially now that NIL offers an opportunity to make $$$ in college. All that has to be taken into account now. If Diaz misses on all his Plan A kids, then I'd rather see him with 19 or 20 recruits rather than 25 because it gives him (or the next coach) more roster flexibility with transfers, a year with a bumper crop, and players who decide to stay an extra year instead of leaving early.

Advertisement
History of UM recruiting:

Miami chases low probaility OOS targets while being less aggressive on good local options.

Local options get interest elsewhere.

OOS options commit elsewhere.

Break glass in case of emergency.

This year will be different because….

- Manny learned?
- T Rob, Simpson, Ish?
- Covid?

I wrote it felt different a few weeks ago. It did. Was thinking TRob et all were the difference.

We’ll see. Spells seems clear we didn’t pursue aggressively. Durant, whatever, not so fla and not obvious even if talented. Biss is local, and has been a huge priority and he doesn’t look too certain right now.

The chess board is shrinking. Fingers crossed but history suggests concern is appropriate.

So it felt different until it didn't? lol That's what's called hot takes.

1.In the era of the transfer portal, you want to leave scholarships available for potential transfers. Since you think Diaz is going to get fired anyways, would you rather he use his last 5 ICs on marginal prospects or leave them open for the next coach to bring in talent to plug holes.

2. You are either being myopic in your view of the roster and think only in year to year terms or don't fully grasp roster management. It has nothing to do with stacking scholarships. You get 85 scholarships in total. A coach has a max of 25 each year. If a coach used all 25 scholarships and no one left early, then in 4 years he would have 100 scholarship players. Obviously that isn't possible so most years you will take less than 25. Schools like Bama and UGA can oversign every single year because they can expect some won't academically qualify, they can drop a kid without repurcussions, or they can tell a kid he needs to grayshirt without having every high school in Bama say that Saban did a kid dirty and they will never send kids to Bama again.

Now you tell me what you think S Fl coaches would be saying about Miami if Diaz took 27 commits and then told two of them "sorry we signed too many and you have to pay your own way."

To make this point more crystal clear let's look at two other private universities that are recognized as football schools but also have good academics.

2016-2020
USC
21, 24, 18, 25, 12

Notre Dame
23, 21, 27, 22, 17

Only once in 5 years did either school sign 25 kids.

If Diaz missed on his big fish and then just decided to max out the scholarships for 2022 with marginal talent, then if 2023 has a bumper crop (which appears to be the case) he won't be able to use all 25 ICs because if could put him over the 85, especially if kids who were projected to declare or graduate end up staying an extra year.

The NCAA giving players a free year of eligibility is going to make recruiting and roster management from 2022-2026 an absolute mess. Kids who would have used up all their eligibility might decide to stay in school an extra year , especially now that NIL offers an opportunity to make $$$ in college. All that has to be taken into account now. If Diaz misses on all his Plan A kids, then I'd rather see him with 19 or 20 recruits rather than 25 because it gives him (or the next coach) more roster flexibility with transfers, a year with a bumper crop, and players who decide to stay an extra year instead of leaving early.
It’s quite obvious you didn’t read the post I responded to. But thanks for all the words.

At corner we can legit close with Rodgers, Fegans, Graves, & Henderson or Singletary if we're lucky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back