Missed on Low Hanging Fruit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another local CB dissed us for West Virginia of all places. Not good at a position we addressed with TRob. There is something going on with the local opinion regarding the Cane program. I believe the Durant camp probably knew/felt he was a plan B DT option. Regardless for our program these were two kids that we had ample time with that elected to go to downtrodden programs over The U. Following Paradise Camp no less. Certainly not the way any of us expected July to begin and if we believe in the Theory of Momentum then the opposite could also have an effect. I'm not one to panic, but I'm not one to ignore facts. Bond was CB to us then committed to Florida. Now we miss on low hanging fruit. Many of our remaining "top", emphasis on "top", prospects are being highly contested for by other top programs and by no way guaranteed to The U. We need to reverse negative recruiting beginning with a big splash Lets GO CANES!

Advertisement
Forgot about Bond.

I understand the sentiment of “it’s only July” but there are some red flags here. I’ve got some trust in this staff. They’re too talented to just actually bomb an entire class. But you’re high off your *** if you’re not at least starting to question a few things here and there.

Advertisement
We all know the issues with AMH by now: upscale private school with a culture of mercenaries & front-runner mindsets. The only way to change the dynamic is playing the big bag game or winning big.......I prefer the latter personally. Spells is a good prospect but he's not a day 1 can't miss prospect either. Durant has lots of traits you look for but he's another tweener & we need more size & strength inside. It isn't panic time but its definitely time to start grabbing some momentum with Graves, Cull, Tolan, and Flip. No clue yet when kids like Jackson, Agbo, Hood, Skinner, Fegans will announce but I think August is possible time table for all of them and a couple surprises there would be nice assuming we grab the aforementioned group in July.

Advertisement
Seems like we have become a plan B to a lot of these recruits , they tell the staff they are coming ( aka silent ) to hold their spot and keep looking around for a possible better fit Or a McDonalds bag.
Let’s hope this new strategy works but trying to reinvent the wheel usually doesn’t.

Plus I thought I read somewhere on this board that the new coaches think Manny is suspect.
This is what keeps trolls coming back here. They post some stupid sht claiming rumors that that the new staff is suspicious about Manny, then someone repeats it as fact.

Until you hear it from a verified source, it's best not to repeat.

Advertisement
The question is do you take them and then drop them in the future only to be called Decommitment U? WVU, Indiana, and Miami I'm not seeing this so much as we're losing out more than we might circle back later on. Durant as said is small for a DT. And the McDs bag is thrown out the window now because the "bags" these kids would warrant could be made up with NIL.

Advertisement
Really? Wvu? What in state offers does he have?
This is becoming a bigger point to me when it comes to this situation with Spells and Durant. They both wanted to be Canes but are in their feelings a bit (Cribby confirmed this with Spells). They didn’t get any other committable in-state offers so they are really at least C-listers to everyone but Us. I believe they are locking in spots on their second choice offers and we can swing back later. We know that and they know that. Spells and Durant both stated that they are still being recruited despite “committing”yesterday.

Staff is going “big game hunting” this cycle and while it’s a risk, sometimes you have to take them so I’ll be patient.

I 100% believe that T-Rob and Simpson convinced Manny that we shouldn’t pull the trigger on Spells and Durant respectively. That was a tough and contested decision in their recruiting meetings, but to wait won out. Coach Shroud and Banda could’ve landed Durant and Spells, so in my mind it must have something to do with them asking Manny for more time with other prospects and then proving to him (with receipts) why it makes sense to wait. Manny has to let them do what he brought them in to do.

Manny makes a change (self-awareness) every offseason, this is one of them.

A couple Sundays ago, Manny had Landon Ibieta wait to announce his commitment at the same time as Omar Graham announcing his to FSU, and it totally counteracted its impact. He wasn’t able to do that this Sunday. If you think you are having an averse response to this new recruiting strategy, then imagine being Manny Diaz.

Last edited:
I personally like Durant’s game, but honestly speaking…. If those VERY SAME kids would have announced for Miami, then some of us would be *****ing about taking the, “low hanging fruit, this early in the game”. There would be post saying, “we will never get back to competing with the top programs like Bama and Clemson, by saying yes to mostly plan B kids.” Manny is trying a different approach. Let’s see how it goes. Crootin can get crazy, man. There will be many twist and turns, ups and downs before NLOI day. I’ve been following this **** for years. Relax and try to enjoy the ride. And wait at least until the ink dries before raising **** about who we took Vs. who we let get away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back