Mirrored Concepts

So Roman, why do you think we've gone away so much from the RPO this year? In 2016 we had some explosive plays from running it. Richt has almost abandoned it this year for whatever reason.

Advertisement
So Roman, why do you think we've gone away so much from the RPO this year? In 2016 we had some explosive plays from running it. Richt has almost abandoned it this year for whatever reason.

Great question my friend. I wish I had an answer. But the RPO% is down. But maybe allow me to try to formulate an answer and type through a hypothesis.

I think that uptempo spread RPO bubble game caught fire in that AP state game in 2016. Miami utilized it more as a pre snap variety with Kaaya. Slowly you saw teams really start to take the pre snap look away with a linebacker or leveraged out head up db.

Plus teams would get really creative and look to crash it like this

On that IZ/bubble slant RPO, teams just started to take the pre snap look away and the teams started to really bait and over play the slant. Plus teams were really shooting the gap on that IZ. I just think you saw a concerted effort from the defenses to really play the tenancy of the RPO and the staff started to notice.

I looked at it from a quarterback view and was like I am not seeing those same open windows I was earlier in the year. Teams getting more creative to stop it and I think you saw less reliance of it from there to be honest.

If you see both of the clips. You see teams really playing tendency in my opinion. With UVA two years ago, (BTW that is a terrible pass and should have been 6 (Bad mechanics don't get me started) But if you look at what UVA did to the bottom of the screen? The ran a safety rat (perfect to take away a slant) and they ran a run blitz for the IZ.

I mean you cannot scheme up a better play to take away that IZ/slant if you tried IMO. Miami obviously threw a go route, but you have to at least notice the attempt by UVA.

And ND? They simply realized Miami's RPO variety was attached to Inside Zone (IZ) just take the DT on the same side of the QB and knife him and our guards were getting beat consistently (BTW if you know why the staff went to that little half back shift late thing? That is a big reason why-It hides the run strength till late)

You mentioned 2016, I was just trying to bring up some examples.

I believe every play call should set up the next play or later. We'll get the bubble screen going for while and we won't call a fake bubble screen. Ok the fb dive worked this series, try a hb toss on the next 3rd and 1. It's 2nd and 4, 4 vert without and any crossing route underneath the vertical routes. Pitt knows the stop route is coming, and to not call run a stop and go is insane. This offense is not QB, OL, or WR friendly.

I believe every play call should set up the next play or later. We'll get the bubble screen going for while and we won't call a fake bubble screen. Ok the fb dive worked this series, try a hb toss on the next 3rd and 1. It's 2nd and 4, 4 vert without and any crossing route underneath the vertical routes. Pitt knows the stop route is coming, and to not call run a stop and go is insane. This offense is not QB, OL, or WR friendly.

Cannot really argue this. You will see "some" next level plays. But what you see more of is a repetitive over reliance on a handful of plays.

I mean I found this little number from 2016. Fake bubble and back side double move. Now for extra bonus points you can still sell the inside zone blocking scheme and throw this but that is me being super picky.

Advertisement
Cannot really argue this. You will see "some" next level plays. But what you see more of is a repetitive over reliance on a handful of plays.

I mean I found this little number from 2016. Fake bubble and back side double move. Now for extra bonus points you can still sell the inside zone blocking scheme and throw this but that is me being super picky.

Btw, I appreciate your work on here and OBB!!

Yeah I would much rather see the one side run switch wheel (option to sit with cushion) post to one side.
Then on the other run a swtich wheel drag to the other.
It is unmirrored and it can have a crosser in view of the quarterback vs the blitz
Plus two guys aren't standing in the same spot when done.
A drag (in) from one side post on the other is essentially an NCAA combo.

When I called the mirrored switch post/wheel lazy play design. I was actually holding my tongue. lol

This works too and breaks the mirrored glass right? Switch (Stemmed post/out) with a boundary smash concept. Easy for a qb. This is red zone sure, but now you have a corner working opposite the post and it is a MUCH easier read for the qb IMO. Kaaya did a good job opening up center and realizing his guy was the lb. He turns the lb's back and the rest is stealing.

When you unlock the mirror sets you get to open up this whole field. In this variation you then take the boundary corner and he options his route based on coverage on open and closed looks. 2 safeties = Flat 1 safety = high. But the way that AP defended the boundary that was not going to work.

But AP left a void in the middle of the field and you know very easily where pre snap this ball is going. The current version of mirroring a switch to add to posts in the middle of the filed, this play doesn't open up like it did here.

Btw, I appreciate your work on here and OBB!!

Thanks man. I appreciate that. It has been a really surreal and fun season for me. InSight and the OBB have been two total pleasures. On here, I get to really enjoy the technicality and the board side of things, on OBB it is just a total bleep show. But I get to do it with two friends and it's a blast.

But look at it in action. (Man 0) This is the level the quarterback NEEDS to operate under. He takes a shot and needs to be SURGICAL to complete this. This is not a high % throw by any means.

But I don't know call me a simpleton. When a teacher's class all fail the test, maybe it's the teacher? Two quarterbacks have been bottom dwellers as far as ACC % ranks go. But I don't see anything really designed to help them out with %. A bubble screen. Less than 5 tunnel screens on the year? One or two variety of hb screens?

Yet I see the staff over use mirrored concepts, call plays for the sake of calling them, and have a repetitive nature about them that is literally hand cuffing their quarterbacks.

Exactly. Every thread I've seen that craps on Rosier (and sometimes Perry) I chime in that these QBs are the symptom not the disease. We're even seeing Aaron Rodgers struggle to an extent with Mike McCarthy's rote, predictable, static slant-flat passing game. Obviously that got McCarthy fired just this week. If Aaron Rodgers can't produce in this kind of offense how is any college QB supposed to? And yet I still see posts claiming we'd be undefeated if we had a "Heisman-level" QB - as if QBs exist in a bubble devoid of context.

On the flipside there's the example of Mitch Trubisky and his relative success this year. Trubisky has a lot of the same issues as Rosier and Perry with regard to pocket management/poise, limited skill at reading coverage and lower-body mechanics issues causing inaccuracy. Creative use of formations and motion have simplified his reads and created easier throws. And when those throws aren't available he's able to leverage his athleticism and run for positive yards because the plays develop quickly - he's not sitting in the pocket waiting to see if his isolation deep routes are open.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back