Mike Wyche Stunt Play

Uh...

You can still cover that route while being lined up 7 yards off the ball. The alignment has nothing to do with it.

It's clearly a blown coverage. If we were in Cover-3 then it's the CB's fault. If we were in Cover-2 then it's the Safety's fault. Simple as that.

EDIT: Based on the CB's alignment I can tell we're in Cover-2. It appears that Carter blew his assignment.
No surprise there.

My impression watching the video is that it was most likely Carter who had the deep coverage and was way late getting over. I don't understand why as there was really no fake out of the shotgun snap to draw a safety up or make them think run. I hate to say it but for a four star recruit Carter just doesn't seem to have very good instincts on the field.

Advertisement
What I realize is the QB took the snap in the shotgun, three step drop and release with the ball out of his hand in under four seconds to a wide open receiver. Wyche, who everyone seems to love to hate and make fun of here, runs the stunt as designed and is across the line at just under three seconds with nobody between him and the QB at that point. That is not running around in circles for ten seconds. Lawrence Taylor isn't getting to the QB very often if he is getting rid of the ball in under four seconds. This was blown coverage. I don't know if the corner, who I cannot identify, blew it or if Carter blew it by not coming over when the corner passed him off. Bottom line, if the QB has to go through progressions instead of just immediately tossing the ball out there to a wide open receiver, Wyche has a pretty good shot at getting there. His movement is nowhere near as slow as our superfans mock. If you are going to ***** at least understand the dynamics of the play you are *****ing about.

It isn't what he was doing (we super fans know), it is HOW he is doing it. Tippy toeing doesn't get it done on any level.

Hmmmmm..... got to where he was suppose to be in less than three seconds. Maybe tippy toeing doesn't mean exactly what you think it means.

You are watching his feet, right? Taking 3 seconds to move less than 10 yards. :confused:

Watch the video. One, defensive linemen are coached to set up off the ball of their drive foot. Two, he takes one fake step up field before the intentionally delayed swing around the opposite side. I doubt their are very many 325 pound men who could get where he was in two seconds. But the bottom line is people have been posting since the game that he took ten or more seconds to run the stunt and that's absurd. We do enough wrong to complain about, no need to make **** up. He did his job.

I have watched the video and even watched it on TV when I had it recorded. We both understand how DL are coached, that's not being argued (more later). I don't understand why he even tried a fake step up field, then looked like he ran a pre-set route on the stunt. He should have run right behind the DE crashing in since the DE took both the RT and RG with him.

Ibis, I know this is the internet and not face-to-face. I am not arguing with you. I am saying that whomever thought

1. it was not a good idea to use someone with Wyche's skill set to run that particular stunt (as you said above)
and 2. the defensive scheme is offensive to any fan with an IQ above room temperature.

I would have rather seen someone with Wyche's skill set play a 2 technique, and slant out engaging the guard and making it **** on the tackle to move inside when the DE or LB stunt around Wyche (while the DT/DE on the other side of Wyche take on the center). Make sense?

Looked like Elder blew that coverage to me, after route distribution, He should've carried #1 all the way.

No, cause #2 is going to the flats. If it's Cover-2, which it appears to be based on Elder's outside alignment, then Carter is supposed to get over the top while Elder covers the flat route.

No, cause #2 is going to the flats. If it's Cover-2, which it appears to be based on Elder's outside alignment, then Carter is supposed to get over the top while Elder covers the flat route.

Coach, from the looks of it, Burns either had the flats, or the #2 WR M2M...no reason for Elder to have the flats there, IMO.
And I don't think it was Cover-2, the other Safety appeared to be covering the TE...and His pre-snap alignment was to shallow to be Cover-2.
Quarter/Quarter/Half maybe?

Last edited:
Advertisement
You do realize on this play the ball is snapped and out of the QB's hand in just under four seconds.
You do realize if we played an attacking defense the receiver wouldn't have been there untouched.

What I realize is the QB took the snap in the shotgun, three step drop and release with the ball out of his hand in under four seconds to a wide open receiver. Wyche, who everyone seems to love to hate and make fun of here, runs the stunt as designed and is across the line at just under three seconds with nobody between him and the QB at that point. That is not running around in circles for ten seconds. Lawrence Taylor isn't getting to the QB very often if he is getting rid of the ball in under four seconds. This was blown coverage. I don't know if the corner, who I cannot identify, blew it or if Carter blew it by not coming over when the corner passed him off. Bottom line, if the QB has to go through progressions instead of just immediately tossing the ball out there to a wide open receiver, Wyche has a pretty good shot at getting there. His movement is nowhere near as slow as our superfans mock. If you are going to ***** at least understand the dynamics of the play you are *****ing about.

If we use the word if enough times, Al Golden would be undefeated. That guy's entire career is based on "if this guy had done that" statements. Unfortunately, his "if" moments never seems to actually happen and his **** poor defense ****s the bed regularly.

/closethread

Coach, from the looks of it, Burns either had the flats, or the #2 WR M2M...no reason for Elder to have the flats there, IMO.
And I don't think it was Cover-2, the other Safety appeared to be covering the TE...and His pre-snap alignment was to shallow to be Cover-2.
Quarter/Quarter/Half maybe?

Only reason I say it's Cover-2 is because of the CB's alignment. (5x1 outside leverage)

And the CB is the only defender in the flats.

Either way...

There's *****-ups all over that coverage. LOL

It isn't what he was doing (we super fans know), it is HOW he is doing it. Tippy toeing doesn't get it done on any level.

Hmmmmm..... got to where he was suppose to be in less than three seconds. Maybe tippy toeing doesn't mean exactly what you think it means.

You are watching his feet, right? Taking 3 seconds to move less than 10 yards. :confused:

Watch the video. One, defensive linemen are coached to set up off the ball of their drive foot. Two, he takes one fake step up field before the intentionally delayed swing around the opposite side. I doubt their are very many 325 pound men who could get where he was in two seconds. But the bottom line is people have been posting since the game that he took ten or more seconds to run the stunt and that's absurd. We do enough wrong to complain about, no need to make **** up. He did his job.

I have watched the video and even watched it on TV when I had it recorded. We both understand how DL are coached, that's not being argued (more later). I don't understand why he even tried a fake step up field, then looked like he ran a pre-set route on the stunt. He should have run right behind the DE crashing in since the DE took both the RT and RG with him.

Ibis, I know this is the internet and not face-to-face. I am not arguing with you. I am saying that whomever thought

1. it was not a good idea to use someone with Wyche's skill set to run that particular stunt (as you said above)
and 2. the defensive scheme is offensive to any fan with an IQ above room temperature.

I would have rather seen someone with Wyche's skill set play a 2 technique, and slant out engaging the guard and making it **** on the tackle to move inside when the DE or LB stunt around Wyche (while the DT/DE on the other side of Wyche take on the center). Make sense?

Maybe. I certainly agree with most of what you say. I think my preference for Wyche be the one to take on the center and plug the middle since he has that wide body. I played 0 & 1 nose as well as a 2 DT and from a player's standpoint I preferred the 2 technique, although they didn't call it that back when I played. At nose I much prefer playing 1 versus 0. With a quick first step you can make like he'll for the center and guard on your side and, of course, it's much easier to penetrate attacking the A gap than it is going nose to nose with the center.

Advertisement
Back