Mike Wyche Stunt Play

scheme wise, if the coverage wasn't blown that rb is running for days. Did ya notice that we slant right on the stunt. Back is lined up to the right, defense slants right and back is open in the flat. All of the lb/db hips are turned and back to the rb. If its not going to the blown coverage its another of the many passes we see to the back that result in a first down.

Advertisement
Actually, it's a pretty ****** throw considering the QB has no pressure and the WR is wide open. The throw leads the WR out of bounds. No pressure, busted coverage, Schweet.

When a QB can throw in ball in 3 to 4 seconds from the snap you will never see pressure. That's what makes this shotgun/spread offense so tough to defend. Defensive linemen have a better shot at getting their hands up and knocking down a throw than they do of getting to the QB for a sack.

scheme wise, if the coverage wasn't blown that rb is running for days. Did ya notice that we slant right on the stunt. Back is lined up to the right, defense slants right and back is open in the flat. All of the lb/db hips are turned and back to the rb. If its not going to the blown coverage its another of the many passes we see to the back that result in a first down.

Nope, the running back stays in to block and releases downfield after the ball is thrown. The receiver you see moving to the flat is the tight end and if you watch again the strong safety is immediately moving in that direction to cover him. You cannot see either after they leave the field of vision of this video, but it appears from the start that we did a decent job covering that option. Either the left side corner blew the coverage expecting over the top help that didn't come or the safety for some reason just didn't come over until late. This is basic coverage and this play is on the player blowing a rather simple coverage, not the scheme. And, for disclaimer purpose, no, I don't like the overall scheme either. But if we are going to *****, at least ***** intelligently. This thread started complaining about Wyche, the stunt he ran and claiming he ran around in circles for ten seconds. All of that is BS. He stunted and was to the offside line of scrimmage in about three seconds. The rest of the line slanted right and I'd imagine his first responsibility was to guard against a possible run and cutback away from our slant.

You do realize on this play the ball is snapped and out of the QB's hand in just under four seconds.
You do realize if we played an attacking defense the receiver wouldn't have been there untouched.

What I realize is the QB took the snap in the shotgun, three step drop and release with the ball out of his hand in under four seconds to a wide open receiver. Wyche, who everyone seems to love to hate and make fun of here, runs the stunt as designed and is across the line at just under three seconds with nobody between him and the QB at that point. That is not running around in circles for ten seconds. Lawrence Taylor isn't getting to the QB very often if he is getting rid of the ball in under four seconds. This was blown coverage. I don't know if the corner, who I cannot identify, blew it or if Carter blew it by not coming over when the corner passed him off. Bottom line, if the QB has to go through progressions instead of just immediately tossing the ball out there to a wide open receiver, Wyche has a pretty good shot at getting there. His movement is nowhere near as slow as our superfans mock. If you are going to ***** at least understand the dynamics of the play you are *****ing about.

It isn't what he was doing (we super fans know), it is HOW he is doing it. Tippy toeing doesn't get it done on any level.

You do realize on this play the ball is snapped and out of the QB's hand in just under four seconds.
You do realize if we played an attacking defense the receiver wouldn't have been there untouched.

What I realize is the QB took the snap in the shotgun, three step drop and release with the ball out of his hand in under four seconds to a wide open receiver. Wyche, who everyone seems to love to hate and make fun of here, runs the stunt as designed and is across the line at just under three seconds with nobody between him and the QB at that point. That is not running around in circles for ten seconds. Lawrence Taylor isn't getting to the QB very often if he is getting rid of the ball in under four seconds. This was blown coverage. I don't know if the corner, who I cannot identify, blew it or if Carter blew it by not coming over when the corner passed him off. Bottom line, if the QB has to go through progressions instead of just immediately tossing the ball out there to a wide open receiver, Wyche has a pretty good shot at getting there. His movement is nowhere near as slow as our superfans mock. If you are going to ***** at least understand the dynamics of the play you are *****ing about.

It isn't what he was doing (we super fans know), it is HOW he is doing it. Tippy toeing doesn't get it done on any level.

Hmmmmm..... got to where he was suppose to be in less than three seconds. Maybe tippy toeing doesn't mean exactly what you think it means.

Advertisement
Actually, it's a pretty ****** throw considering the QB has no pressure and the WR is wide open. The throw leads the WR out of bounds. No pressure, busted coverage, Schweet.

Another guy who's too busy *****ing to notice the progress that's been made.

yea, you know it all. "attacking defense".
Read what I posted Al, if our Corners weren't playing 7 yards off the line of scrimmage and actually disrupted the routes guys wouldn't be wide open.

Hmmmmm..... got to where he was suppose to be in less than three seconds. Maybe tippy toeing doesn't mean exactly what you think it means.

You are watching his feet, right? Taking 3 seconds to move less than 10 yards. :confused:

You are watching his feet, right? Taking 3 seconds to move less than 10 yards. :confused:

Watch the video. One, defensive linemen are coached to set up off the ball of their drive foot. Two, he takes one fake step up field before the intentionally delayed swing around the opposite side. I doubt their are very many 325 pound men who could get where he was in two seconds. But the bottom line is people have been posting since the game that he took ten or more seconds to run the stunt and that's absurd. We do enough wrong to complain about, no need to make **** up. He did his job.

Advertisement

yea, you know it all. "attacking defense".
Read what I posted Al, if our Corners weren't playing 7 yards off the line of scrimmage and actually disrupted the routes guys wouldn't be wide open.

Which literally has nothing to do with the stunt or how it was run.

Uh...

You can still cover that route while being lined up 7 yards off the ball. The alignment has nothing to do with it.

It's clearly a blown coverage. If we were in Cover-3 then it's the CB's fault. If we were in Cover-2 then it's the Safety's fault. Simple as that.

EDIT: Based on the CB's alignment I can tell we're in Cover-2. It appears that Carter blew his assignment.

Last edited:
Uh...

You can still cover that route while being lined up 7 yards off the ball. The alignment has nothing to do with it.

It's clearly a blown coverage. If we were in Cover-3 then it's the CB's fault. If we were in Cover-2 then it's the Safety's fault. Simple as that.

That looked to be a mess up by Carter.

Good play drawn up for the DL, wrong DL running the stunt. The guy needs to shed another 20lbs before he should be stunting. As for the conclusion of the play, the corner and safety are at a complete loss for what they should be doing. So frustrating...

Advertisement

good points. That's a 5 step drop though. Definitely blown coverage. Also asking Wyche to do a lot for a player his size. He had to widen that stunt bc he also had contain. Poor design for that personnel imho

If we use the word if enough times, Al Golden would be undefeated. That guy's entire career is based on "if this guy had done that" statements. Unfortunately, his "if" moments never seems to actually happen and his **** poor defense ***** the bed regularly.

Advertisement
Looks like two guys went deep and we had one deep safety. Carter drifted towards the guy streaking over the middle.

Uh...

EDIT: Based on the CB's alignment I can tell we're in Cover-2. It appears that Carter blew his assignment.
No surprise there.

im still shocked how we suck so much in coverage, either its the scheme that doesnt fit the kids or its not being taught the right way to them, either way things should change

Advertisement
Back