Mike Smith.....

He looked slow and tentative compared to the Freshmen. Didn't look like a Miami backer to me. Maybe he did his job, but he'll look like he's in quicksand vs real speed. Miami will be where they need to be when Mike Smiths aren't in the two deep. I don't care if he'd start for other ACC teams

Funny the same kinda talk was put out there about Bernard Clark...George Mira Jr. was out for NC game. BC comes in and wins game MVP. He was supposed to be a liability.

Hey, I love Tiger, but I think he was still in HS that night. Some other kid, a Cuban I thing, came in and had game of his life.

Jay Fernandez

That's him. Played heck of a game, as I recall.

Advertisement
He looked slow and tentative compared to the Freshmen. Didn't look like a Miami backer to me. Maybe he did his job, but he'll look like he's in quicksand vs real speed. Miami will be where they need to be when Mike Smiths aren't in the two deep. I don't care if he'd start for other ACC teams

Funny the same kinda talk was put out there about Bernard Clark...George Mira Jr. was out for NC game. BC comes in and wins game MVP. He was supposed to be a liability.

Hey, I love Tiger, but I think he was still in HS that night. Some other kid, a Cuban I thing, came in and had game of his life.

Jay Fernandez

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
DO.YOUR.HOMEWORK.PEOPLE. Jay Hernandez was 3-4 years earlier (1983).

fron TOS:

When he signed his letter of intent with Miami, there was nothing particularly special about Clark. He was just another name in a list of anonymous freshmen. He redshirted his freshman season in 1985 and didn't play a down, while developing his skills on the scout team. In 1986, he finally got on the field, but his role was limited to special teams and coming in on "garbage time" when the Hurricanes would blow out opponents and play in the fourth quarter. By 1987, it appeared Clark was no more than a career backup player. George Mira Jr. was the team's starting middle linebacker and UM's all time leading tackler. The Hurricanes went undefeated during the 1987 regular season and Mira was a tackling machine. But just before Miami's national championship showdown with #1 ranked Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl, Mira and offensive lineman John O'Neill were suspended by the NCAA for testing positive for steroids. Bernard Clark would finally step out of the shadows and get his chance to start at middle linebacker in the biggest college game of the year.

The Sooners featured a high-powered wishbone attack that averaged 420 yards rushing per game. Without Mira, many believed the Canes would not be able to stop Oklahoma's running game---everybody except Bernard Clark. He spent his first three years of college as an unknown and now it was his time to shine. He was determined to make the most of his opportunity. To stop Oklahoma, Miami's defense had to play disciplined assignment football. Clark's responsibility to was to stop Oklahoma's fullback Lydell Carr. Clark responded by making 14 solo tackles and Carr was relegated as a non-factor. The Hurricanes beat the Sooners 20-14 to capture UM's second national championship. Clark was named the game's defensive MVP.

South Florida Sports Paradise: Ghosts of the Orange Bowl: Bernard Clark

Last edited:

Jay Fernandez

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

fron TOS:

When he signed his letter of intent with Miami, there was nothing particularly special about Clark. He was just another name in a list of anonymous freshmen. He redshirted his freshman season in 1985 and didn't play a down, while developing his skills on the scout team. In 1986, he finally got on the field, but his role was limited to special teams and coming in on "garbage time" when the Hurricanes would blow out opponents and play in the fourth quarter. By 1987, it appeared Clark was no more than a career backup player. George Mira Jr. was the team's starting middle linebacker and UM's all time leading tackler. The Hurricanes went undefeated during the 1987 regular season and Mira was a tackling machine. But just before Miami's national championship showdown with #1 ranked Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl, Mira and offensive lineman John O'Neill were suspended by the NCAA for testing positive for steroids. Bernard Clark would finally step out of the shadows and get his chance to start at middle linebacker in the biggest college game of the year.

The Sooners featured a high-powered wishbone attack that averaged 420 yards rushing per game. Without Mira, many believed the Canes would not be able to stop Oklahoma's running game---everybody except Bernard Clark. He spent his first three years of college as an unknown and now it was his time to shine. He was determined to make the most of his opportunity. To stop Oklahoma, Miami's defense had to play disciplined assignment football. Clark's responsibility to was to stop Oklahoma's fullback Lydell Carr. Clark responded by making 14 solo tackles and Carr was relegated as a non-factor. The Hurricanes beat the Sooners 20-14 to capture UM's second national championship. Clark was named the game's defensive MVP.

Yeap, looks like we got our NC's cross. I thought you were talking about the first one:

"Three seniors led Miami in tackles against Nebraska, making a major contribution in their final game donning the orange and green. Linebacker Jack Fernandez tallied 15 tackles and an interception, while safety Eddie Williams collected 13 tackles and All-American linebacker Jay Brophy matched Calhoun with 10 tackles."

I have Mira in wrong game, but at least I remembered Tiger was later. I watched George Sr. play so I have many Canes and games in the old hard drive -- it gets fuzzy. But Fernandez had one heck of a game in that first NC. Must have been another lb he replaced -- I think we had a kid name Sisk or something who got hurt. Nice to have so many NC games and great players who get replaced by second stringers who have great games. Mea culpa.

Jay Fernandez

fron TOS:

Yeap, looks like we got our NC's cross. I thought you were talking about the first one:

"Three seniors led Miami in tackles against Nebraska, making a major contribution in their final game donning the orange and green. Linebacker Jack Fernandez tallied 15 tackles and an interception, while safety Eddie Williams collected 13 tackles and All-American linebacker Jay Brophy matched Calhoun with 10 tackles."

I have Mira in wrong game, but at least I remembered Tiger was later. I watched George Sr. play so I have many Canes and games in the old hard drive -- it gets fuzzy. But Fernandez had one heck of a game in that first NC. Must have been another lb he replaced -- I think we had a kid name Sisk or something who got hurt. Nice to have so many NC games and great players who get replaced by second stringers who have great games. Mea culpa.

Yes, Kenny Sisk.

Advertisement

Funny the same kinda talk was put out there about Bernard Clark...George Mira Jr. was out for NC game. BC comes in and wins game MVP. He was supposed to be a liability

Jay Fernandez

Jacinto (Jack) Fernandez plays on the Kosar led 83 team. Tiger Clark was in fact the one that subbed for Mira Jr. who by the way was also Cuban.

I remember Jack Fernandez from his Hialeah Optimist days.....very good LB in his time. That optimist team he played on and mine ( year behind his) sent a lot of talent to HML.,Hialeah and Miami Springs and many of them went to play at UM, FSU, UF, Pitt, mississippi State, etc.....Good ole days of Hialeah area football.

Jay Fernandez

fron TOS:

It's cool cause we all LOVE DEM CANES. btw Jack Fernandez played a helluva game and was a real leader on that team. Big time props to that man for his effort.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back