Mike Smith.....

gogeta4

All-ACC
Watched him the first two games...Kid has looked suitable as a back up MIKE backer. Not as huge drop off when he is in..and kid has made a few plays. Funny considering that people wanted to cut bait with him, kid is earning his keep and making me forget about Juwan Young.

Advertisement
Makes you wonder how critical the DL performance is for the LBs. Guys can just clean up whatever comes through or fly in on a rail.

I don't know why people wanted him gone. He was a legit playmaker for mnw defense coming out of high school. Has had a few years of playing linebackers so he is getting better

Finally fully healthy from his knee injury and in a scheme fit. He showed up in the bowl game last year and made some plays and its carried over to this season.

Advertisement
Finally fully healthy from his knee injury and in a scheme fit. He showed up in the bowl game last year and made some plays and its carried over to this season.

i noticed he had a solid game then as well.....Playing forward he does a good job...hes a backer that can fill those gaps...he closed in on the fau qb pretty quick on aqb hurry as well.

Advertisement
Mike Smith has been playing really good at the MLB position. We aren't as "thin" bc of how much he has stepped up. With the way we're using Jaquan Johnson. We have more depth than most with Mike Smith, Zach McCloud, Darrion Owens, and Charles Perry coming off the bench.

He looked slow and tentative compared to the Freshmen. Didn't look like a Miami backer to me. Maybe he did his job, but he'll look like he's in quicksand vs real speed. Miami will be where they need to be when Mike Smiths aren't in the two deep. I don't care if he'd start for other ACC teams

Last edited:
He looked slow and tentative compared to the Freshmen. Didn't look like a Miami backer to me. Maybe he did his job, but he'll look like he's in quicksand vs real speed. Miami will be where they need to be when Mike Smiths aren't in the two deep. I don't care if he'd start for other ACC teams

Juwon Young would've been in front of him, so Mike Smith is technically our 3rd string MLB. That's a very deep LB group, especially if Jermaine Grace was still on the team as well. Not to mention Jamie Gordinier and Marques Gayot

Advertisement
Watched him the first two games...Kid has looked suitable as a back up MIKE backer. Not as huge drop off when he is in..and kid has made a few plays. Funny considering that people wanted to cut bait with him, kid is earning his keep and making me forget about Juwan Young.

WHO??

Funny the same kinda talk was put out there about Bernard Clark...George Mira Jr. was out for NC game. BC comes in and wins game MVP. He was supposed to be a liability.

his style of play wasn't suited for Dorito's WEfense.

He is right at home with Diaz' attacking scheme...he was a pass rushing terror in high school.

Advertisement
I've always hoped Mike Smith would find a role here because he played mean and ate quarterbacks for dinner in high school. And like some of you, I saw him in on a couple of plays. Didn't look bad. Loved seeing it.

But I also saw him wooden and slow-footed in coverage multiple times, too, just FAU didn't capitalize. I'm rooting on Smith, but man, slow your praise. I suspect we'll all be mad at the dude a few weeks from now.

Last edited:
I've always hoped Mike Smith would find a role here because he played mean and ate quarterbacks for dinner in high school. And like some of you, I saw him in on a couple of plays. Didn't look bad. Loved seeing it.

But I also saw him wooden and slow-footed in coverage multiple times, too, just FAU didn't capitalize. I'm rooting on Smith, but man, slow your praise. I suspect we'll all be mad at the dude a few weeks from now.

Uh, that's BS. Please provide video evidence of him being beaten in coverage multiple times.

Oh wait, it doesn't exist - just another poster looking for any reason to be negative

Yep. And Artie Burns was way too stiff and Mark Walton isn't fast enough. Don't listen to the haters, people on this board love to bash our own players.

Makes you wonder how critical the DL performance is for the LBs. Guys can just clean up whatever comes through or fly in on a rail.

Not really much to wonder about. It is all about Dline. Think about who we had up front when our LBs ruled the world. Those 330 lbs guards can't be smothering your LBs if they are trying to keep their QB from being drawn and quartered by hungry bears pulling each arm and leg different directions.

Advertisement
Back