Mike Smith will start in place of Pinckney

Advertisement
The fact that Malek "two interceptions per scrimmage" Young isn't starting shows how good this defense is going to be. ****, I'm excited.

Advertisement
Pinckney is suspended for the half because of the targeting hit in the bowl game

Michael Jackson will start at one CB spot per Diaz
You buried the headline, as we all knew Pinckney couldn't start due to the targeting call.

Michael Jackson starting at CB IS the news. Shocked and possibly happy if it's a further sign of what great coaching can do for someone that has sometimes been referred to as a JAG. Great speed for sure, let's see how it plays out.

Advertisement
Jackson is a big athletic kid. Glad to see him progress like this. I didn't think there was any way anyone would put Malek Young on the sidelines. Maybe we're planning on starting 3 CBs with Malek in the nickel.

I was very critical of Smith last year. There was a huge drop in play when he came in, but he must have improved tremendously. Owens's lateral movement is garbage at this point. If we weren't so stacked at DE I'd suggest using him as a pass rusher.

Like that Jackson is impressing, but thought Young has been out best DB from all reports… Kid has more ints in scrimmages than our entire defense combined

Advertisement
Like that Jackson is impressing, but thought Young has been out best DB from all reports… Kid has more ints in scrimmages than our entire defense combined

Maybe they think Young can do more damage at nickel?

Also Jackson and Delaney are two of our bigger CBs (both over 6') - nice to have those two on the boundary with the shorter playmakers in nickel...

Isn't great to have coaches that actually improve their players? Rumph and Diaz deserve statues.

Advertisement
Isn't great to have coaches that actually improve their players? Rumph and Diaz deserve statues.

Diaz was a LB coaching legend for what he did last year with 3 true freshmans. If he's turned Smith into a starting caliber LB at the marquee P5 level, then he might be the best LB coach in college football.

LMgs3xU.gif

Good news on Jackson

Interested to see how Diaz manages the DB group as five of our top seven DB's will likely be corners. I think we may see situations where a few CB's play safety to keep the best talent on the field.

Advertisement
Back