Mike Ryan/AD Update - 12/2

Now this I would approve of !!
preview.mp4.jpg

GO Canes
Is that Adele after she lost 250 pounds?

Advertisement
we will never land a Riley type coach here. we aren't that program or that draw. we aren't similar to USC in that way. the only similarity is that were private schools in large cities. they have a ton more resources and financial support than we have (at least to this point). ive said it for a while that Mario is the best well get so it is what it is.
Huh? You seen the empty seats at USC games? We could have a Riley type if we forked out the $$. I think Kiffin is as good as Riley offensively, but not as good of a recruiter. However, to be fair, Riley had the benefit of stepping into an established blue blood powerhouse in a mediocre conference. Lane, on the other hand, had to deal with sanctions at USC from Pete Carrol and fighting off SEC powerhouses at Ole Miss with less resources. IMO, Kiffin's 10-2 in the SEC is more impressive than any season Riley has had at Oklahoma including making the CFP because the Big 12 is a much weaker conference than the SEC.

Quite frankly, there just aren't that many good/great coaches. There's a lot of overpaid mediocre coaches. This is why there's always a coaching shuffle. Schools are overpaying for mediocrity hoping the guy they overpaid will take them to the next level. When he doesn't, they fire him and get stuck with the bill while they search for the next would be savior only to rinse and repeat the same mediocrity. At least Miami hasn't overpaid for it's mediocrity. I'm sure many would argue that Manny is overpaid for what he has delivered.

The only issue I see is if we take weeks and weeks and then Miami it up anyway. I just don’t want to be sitting here wondering how it took a month to hire some high school AD.

OU has 2? playoff appearances under Riley in the better conference (b12 is marquee but better than pac 12) and also one of the best offensive minds in football. along w that, hes produced what 3 heisman QBs or so and multiple number 1 picks at the position including b2b number 1s?
I disagree the Big 12 is better than the PAC-12. I think the PAC-12 in recent history, has been a more competitively balanced conference which is why most of their conference winners wind up with 2 losses and don't make the CFP. Who the **** was competing with OU when they were winning the conference? Nobody. Yet, Iowa State (2017 - Norman, OK, 2020 - Ames, IA) and Kansas State (2019 - Manhattan, KS, 2020 - Norman, OK) beat OU twice in the 5 years Riley was head coach. Riley should have lost to Kansas this season if not for a blown no call of forward progress stopped on 4th down late in the game. They had several close games this year and are closer to an 8-4 team instead of their 10-2 record.

Also, get the facts straight. Riley didn't develop 3 Heisman QBs. All 3 Heisman QB were transfers. He hasn't developed a HS QB into a Heisman. I would say the type of offense he runs and the skill players around the QBs allowed them to maximize their skill set to win the Heismans. If King were healthy, had a career year, and won the Heisman, would you say Lashlee developed King into a Heisman QB?

Advertisement
If you listen to Bruce enough you know when he tips his hand.

I've felt Bruce knows Mario will take the job for a minute, considering how much he's skirted around Miami's AD search and Coaching situation. Bruce would have a lot more to say if he could...and it's not because he doesn't know.
Exactomundo!

I disagree the Big 12 is better than the PAC-12. I think the PAC-12 in recent history, has been a more competitively balanced conference which is why most of their conference winners wind up with 2 losses and don't make the CFP. Who the **** was competing with OU when they were winning the conference? Nobody. Yet, Iowa State (2017 - Norman, OK, 2020 - Ames, IA) and Kansas State (2019 - Manhattan, KS, 2020 - Norman, OK) beat OU twice in the 5 years Riley was head coach. Riley should have lost to Kansas this season if not for a blown no call of forward progress stopped on 4th down late in the game. They had several close games this year and are closer to an 8-4 team instead of their 10-2 record.

Also, get the facts straight. Riley didn't develop 3 Heisman QBs. All 3 Heisman QB were transfers. He hasn't developed a HS QB into a Heisman. I would say the type of offense he runs and the skill players around the QBs allowed them to maximize their skill set to win the Heismans. If King were healthy, had a career year, and won the Heisman, would you say Lashlee developed King into a Heisman QB?
If you take out Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Baylor, and Iowa State over the last 4 years then yeah it’s really obvious to see why Pac 12 is better. Solid logic.

And yeah, it’s crazy to give credit to a HC/OC/QB coach for having 2 straight heisman winning QBs. The guy did absolutely nothing to earn that respect.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back