Mike Norvell to FSU?

Norvell has done well at Memphis, building off of what Fuente had built. I am curious how he would do at a P5 school that is a complete dumpster fire.

Advertisement
Norvell has done well at Memphis, building off of what Fuente had built. I am curious how he would do at a P5 school that is a complete dumpster fire.

Any G5 coach is a risk, even the "can't miss" ones like Tom Herman. After we've seen so many flop over the past 5-10 years I'm not sure how this could even be close to a good hire for them.

As mentioned above sure any coach is a risk but calling Norvell a corch? Seriously? You guys have to do a lot better than that. The only metric worth a **** in this thread is the one on page one for his record against 'better' programs versus 'worse' ones. Even then he pretty much beats the teams he's supposed to beat and this year they've beaten some good teams. He may have to adjust his defense but that's because his offenses are consistently excellent and scoring so much that it leaves his defense to have more opportunities to be scored against.

He has improved Memphis since Fuente left. Has a great staff there (Johns, Silverfield, etc) and would be a great get for FSU. This isn't Al Golden struggling to win his conference. He is a 2 point loss to Temple from being 12-0 this year.

If he goes to FSU:
Year 1: they win several more games (finish 8-9 wins)
Year 2 onwards: 10 plus wins a year.

The homerism from some of you is unreal. I've got news for you: it is very arguable whether F$U is even in a worse position than us today. If they get Norvell, they are in a better spot as a program overall. He may not be a championship level coach but they will be better off than us quickly.

Advertisement
The homerism from some of you is unreal. I've got news for you: it is very arguable whether F$U is even in a worse position than us today. If they get Norvell, they are in a better spot as a program overall. He may not be a championship level coach but they will be better off than us quickly.

FSU will be in a better spot as a program when they beat us, not when they hire an unproven G5 coach.

I don't see it with Norvell. At least not as a LOCK or must get...There is potential for sure

Offense does generate big, chunk plays though...Someone was gonna hire him for sure.

Last edited:
He went 10-3 in 2017 and now he is 11-1. They would destroy us

If he beat us, we'd be the second bowl-eligible P5 win on his resume. 2017 UCLA (finished 6-7) is the only one to date, which he won 48-45 at home. Sorry if this guy's resume is not super impressive to me.

Advertisement
actually think he puts together a decent staff, his coordinators from the previous years have all gone on to better jobs, Associate HC 2018 became tulane OC in 2019, Dan Lanning DC to georgia DC, Chris Hall DC to Northern Arizona HC, Kenny Dillingham OC to Aurburn OC.

Norvell has a very good record of surrounding himself with good coaches. the question is gonna be how he is gonna be able to recruit against the big boys (he isnt exactly known as a good one) and how he will transition into a P5 job with no previous experience.

I think Norvell is an Ok hire for the current state of Fsu, but i do think he will face some of the same early struggles as taggart, and then will the boosters and administration be patient to see if he can fix it.

All you need to know in Bold

I don't see it with Norvell. At least not as a LOCK or must get...There is potential for sure

Offense does generate big, chunk plays though...Someone was gonna hire him for sure.

I thought this was a joke at first. Like when FSU was saying "Keep Al Golden". But these guys are seriously in love with Norvell.

I thought this was a joke at first. Like when FSU was saying "Keep Al Golden". But these guys are seriously in love with Norvell.

Ya I'm not even saying it's terrible...He could definitely work. Has done some good things and offense looks good

I will say this, his offense is all big play...They have a LOT of trouble when they are forced to grind out 1st downs...Alot. Very similar (not in style, but in bottom line) to Miami this year. They have trouble inside 10, and have aren't great on 3rd down, short yardage, etc

If he is, what do you call Diaz?

That's our fan base for sure.

As unreal as it can seem, this program may be at its lowest point since the 70s, and we are making fun of the hiring of an up and comer who cut his teeth at Memphis with a 35-15 record and 5 years or so of head coaching experience under his belt.

Clearly we are in much better shape opting to hire ZERO experience head coaches with just above average assistant records.

Advertisement
Ya I'm not even saying it's terrible...He could definitely work. Has done some good things and offense looks good

I will say this, his offense is all big play...They have a LOT of trouble when they are forced to grind out 1st downs...Alot. Very similar (not in style, but in bottom line) to Miami this year. They have trouble inside 10, and have aren't great on 3rd down, short yardage, etc

I'm not saying it's terrible either, just that he's an unknown. Took over a good program and kept it going. Doesn't have any "wow" wins on his resume.

I'm not saying it's terrible either, just that he's an unknown. Took over a good program and kept it going. Doesn't have any "wow" wins on his resume.

Yup exactly. Has a chance to win his conference this weekend, and it was a good year in that conference. But judging by the way they struggled w Cincy last week in a game that they needed and Cincy didn't tells me it may be a dogfight this week. They also avoided UCF on the schedule this year.

his offense is all big play...They have a LOT of trouble when they are forced to grind out 1st downs...Alot.

LOL, sounds like the Briles disaster. Frankly, I'd take the winner outta Him & Fickell this weekend...Fickell's another one that's done a great job of turning around a middle of the road program.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back