Mike Norvell to FSU?

The guy is 37-15 as a head coach. Please compare to our hires over last 10 years. Richt's record doesn't count because he got canned before coming here.

HOMERUN HIRE.... If he surrounds himself with top notch assistants they will be going toe to toe with clemson soon.

Advertisement
LOL at this guy being a great pick. Why do people feel this way? Because he "kept" Memphis as a decent team after it was already built up from decay? Because his offense scores points in the AAC? Has he ever won the AAC? I ask honestly because all the mopes in here seem to think this dude is the second coming of Saban, besides DWins (which is odd btw).

Has Norvell ever built a program? Has he ever had to bring a program back from the depths of disarray that panhandle school is in? This dude is going to be an 7-8 win coach annually and is going to get smashed for his first few years. by then the fans will want him gone too

LOL at this guy being a great pick. Why do people feel this way? Because he "kept" Memphis as a decent team after it was already built up from decay? Because his offense scores points in the AAC? Has he ever won the AAC? I ask honestly because all the mopes in here seem to think this dude is the second coming of Saban, besides DWins (which is odd btw).

Has Norvell ever built a program? Has he ever had to bring a program back from the depths of disarray that panhandle school is in? This dude is going to be an 7-8 win coach annually and is going to get smashed for his first few years. by then the fans will want him gone too
I don't think FSU is as low as everyone thinks they are. The guy has won. Something none of our coaches over the last 10 years have done (outside of retirement Richt)

that is honestly a better hire then I thought they would get . But sports fans are dumb in general so I am sure FSU thought they could some huge name when you will never do that after firing a guy in less then 2 years. All coaches want time to build and while Willie seemed like he sucked major balls we will never truly know if he could of succeeded . Some of the best coaches in sports succeeded b/c they were given time. I give UM credit as they have always given coaches at least 3 seasons which should be norm.
We’ll never know if he could’ve succeeded?

He failed. End of storyz

Advertisement
He inherits a FSU team that will be devoid of talent.
Gone:

Akers
Terry
Wilson

I don’t think his “name” will salvage the class either.
Akers isn’t good but terry and Wilson are elite players at their position but overall they will be losing a bunch of talent for sure

Dead Man Walking. Does it really matter who they hire relative to Diaz’s future here? He’s toast. He lost the team. I want to believe in him but he lost to FIU and Duke in consecutive weeks. Unless he pulls the rabbit out of the hat next year, he’s gone. And what OC wants to come somewhere for a one year guarantee? I would want stability and longevity, not a “tryout”. Only up and comers will want this job, not established OCs.
Anyone who can make significantly more money for that year, so the "up and comers" are exactly it.

Advertisement
The guy is 37-15 as a head coach. Please compare to our hires over last 10 years. Richt's record doesn't count because he got canned before coming here.

HOMERUN HIRE.... If he surrounds himself with top notch assistants they will be going toe to toe with clemson soon.
Fuente went 10-3 and 9-3 his last two years at Memphis after turning that program around and how has he fared at VT recently? It's a double at best for FSU but definitely not a home run. Not to mention the adjustment from recruiting in the AAC to recruiting at the P5 level in Florida.

From Memphis boards...
  • MemphisTiger55 said... (original post) You know what I want. I want MN to not get FSU and then turn down ole miss. That would be the perfect rub it in their face moment. Give us o...
    show more
    If Memphis can’t match or pay more, do you think there is a chance?
  • Brooks Hansen avatar
    Brooks HansenSTAFF
    Posted on 3 hrs, , User Since 102 months ago, User Post Count: 5,189
    • 3 hrs
    • 102 months
    BluffCityTiger said... (original post) I really think Silverfield will have a real shot to take over if/when CMN leaves.
    show more
    I agree with this.
  • Brooks Hansen avatar
    Brooks HansenSTAFF
    Posted on 3 hrs, , User Since 102 months ago, User Post Count: 5,189
    • 3 hrs
    • 102 months
    Tigerology101 said... (original post) Who do we get to replace CMN if he leaves? Perhaps Hugh Freeze????
    show more
    If Memphis hires Hugh Freeze, you can go ahead and get used to football never being covered here again until he's gone.
    4 upvotes
  • Memphis80 avatar
    Memphis80
    Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 9 months ago, User Post Count: 455
    • 2 hrs
    • 9 months
    Brooks Hansen said... (original post) If Memphis hires Hugh Freeze, you can go ahead and get used to football never being covered here again until he's gone.
    show more
    He was begging for it 2 years ago when it looked like norvell was going to Arkansas. He was saying things like if he kept winning he wouldn’t look for another job and that he would work for free the first year.
  • Tiger_Rob
    Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 77 months ago, User Post Count: 484
    • 2 hrs
    • 77 months
    Places like FSU, after a bad year you end up on hot seat. Two bad years you are gone. Same goes for SEC schools. If I was coaching I would keep this in my mind because do I want to stay somewhere I know where I dont have to worry about a bad year or two being in hot seat or deal with constant pressure to win. Look at all the former American coaches that moved on over the last 5 years. They have all been fired or in their seats are starting to get hot due to fan and admin disappointment.

1 upvotes
  • bleedtigerblue
    Posted on 82 mins, , User Since 77 months ago, User Post Count: 859
    • 82 mins
    • 77 months
    Also, I think most view Florida during the tourist season(Thanksgiving-Easter). I spent a year south of Miami in the military and it didn't take but one rainy season along with a hurricane to make me want to get back to the mid-south. jmho Grass isn't always greener.

• P the D
    Posted on 49 mins, , User Since 68 months ago, User Post Count: 848
    • 49 mins
    • 68 months
    Chip Long will be worth a call too. He's been really impressive at ND

• BluffCityTiger
    Posted on 39 mins, , User Since 54 months ago, User Post Count: 718
    • 39 mins
    • 54 months
    If I remember correctly, he has coordinator job offers from the Big 10 and Big 12 last year and chose to stay. He doesn’t stay IMO if he doesn’t have a shot at the head job when CMN leaves.
  • bleedtigerblue
    Posted on 22 mins, , User Since 77 months ago, User Post Count: 859
    • 22 mins
    • 77 months
    My hope would be the coaching STAFF would be given a big bonus and raise for a great job this year and prevent CMN from having to replace 15 again. Keep HC and all that want to stay.

• Brooks Hansen avatar
    Brooks HansenSTAFF
    Posted on 10 mins, , User Since 102 months ago, User Post Count: 5,189
    • 10 mins
    • 102 months
    As of early this morning, this is what I know:

Mike Norvell, according to a source close to him, does NOT have an offer on the table from Florida State. However, I do believe - from talking to the same source - that Norvell WANTS the offer. However, as of this morning, FSU hasn't made it to Norvell on their big board and he's not currently sitting as first choice in the search.

Again, this goes back to what I said yesterday about Sexton using other jobs (Ole Miss, Arkansas and Missouri) for leverage.

FSU's preferences solidly lie with James Franklin and Matt Campbell. I believe that Norvell falls into that second tier with Matt Rhule and Brian Kelly.

The Seminoles leaking this morning that the search is most likely going into/past the weekend does not mean that it's Norvell. James Franklin is going to COST and getting that kind of money RIGHT and TOGETHER takes time. Even if their search makes it past Franklin and Campbell, I do believe that others in the second tier sit ahead of Norvell.

Here's where things get tricky. IF Franklin gets the job, that opens up Penn State for Matt Rhule. If Rhule bolted for Penn State, that opens up the Baylor job and I truly believe that's a job that MN would take.

In the same vein, IF the FSU job falls to Matt Rhule over Norvell, that again opens up Baylor.

Memphis isn't going to be done with this coaching carousel until ALL of the cogs have come to a complete sto

Advertisement
The main thing is, who cares who Fsu hires, i still hope its coach richt, that would be epic, lol, the pupil against the teacher. Would just make this rivalry even better, plus with coach dugans over their and the likes. Coach diaz will be forced to step his game up, he can talk about the culture and this and that all he wants, and whatever so called techniques being used to make corrections, at the end of the day, whatever methods are being used, the **** hasnt sunk in yet, so diaz better find some answers and learn how to deal with the media better. Cause even if he doesnt meant to, just by the way he's talking he's putting the blame on the players already by saying things like, "we have to be player led" we went over that play about 20mins before it happened" instead of going over that in real time, or hyping up the incoming recruiting class as already being the saving Grace of this team, that's putting the blame on the current players and is unbecoming of a good headcoach, dont continue down that road manny if you want to be successful.

I don’t get why there’s a 3 page thread going on Mike Norvell to FSU on here. I thought they were getting Bob Stoops.

Advertisement
Brock c'mon bro. If any Miami back did what he did behind a putrid OL, you'd be calling them a first rounder
What’s special about a former #1 rb averaging under 5 yards per carry for his career? That’s pathetic and no the **** I wouldn’t

What’s special about a former #1 rb averaging under 5 yards per carry for his career? That’s pathetic and no the **** I wouldn’t

You also said Walton was better than Barkley lmfao. So is 5 ypc the new standard for a good RB? Regardless of their offense's situation??

You also said Walton was better than Barkley lmfao. So is 5 ypc the new standard for a good RB? Regardless of their offense's situation??
No I didnt, I said He was a feast or famine rb like barkley comparing their sophomore seasons nothing more and nothing less. Given what he was rated as that’s not anywhere near good. They have a spread offense this year with a good passing game yet he’s still averaging less than 5 yards per carry. Just face it, he’s not as good as he’s hyped up to be period and only do well vs trash teams. Play Any defense with a pulse he looks bad

I don't think FSU is as low as everyone thinks they are. The guy has won. Something none of our coaches over the last 10 years have done (outside of retirement Richt)
If they weren't as bad or as low as everyone thinks then Willie would've won there my friend. Talent is something they have had more than every team they face outside of Clemson

Advertisement
Back