Mike Leach

His air raid offense and protégés went 7-0 yesterday including OU's offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley.

But of course some people seemingly hate offenses and offensive geniuses around here.

You're dealing with the Geriatric Offense crowd.
Any coach with relatively new ideas on how to score points is regarded as too bright and gimmicky, perhaps
borne out of communist and homahsexual tendencies picked up in their undergrad days.

Team Geriatric prefers an offense with many lumbering TEs, FBs and a big white slow QB with a toothy grin.
None of that flashy stuff, give me that old nursing home **** smell version of offense ran by Schnells.

S

Uh the Air Raid offense is not exactly new. Lavell Edwards ran this offense at BYU.

No.....Run and Shoot. Jack Pardee

Leach specifically runs the Air Raid offense which was developed by Lavell Edwards, and Mumme who Leached coached with.

Advertisement
His air raid offense and protégés went 7-0 yesterday including OU's offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley.

But of course some people seemingly hate offenses and offensive geniuses around here.

You're dealing with the Geriatric Offense crowd.
Any coach with relatively new ideas on how to score points is regarded as too bright and gimmicky, perhaps
borne out of communist and homahsexual tendencies picked up in their undergrad days.

Team Geriatric prefers an offense with many lumbering TEs, FBs and a big white slow QB with a toothy grin.
None of that flashy stuff, give me that old nursing home **** smell version of offense ran by Schnells.

S

Uh the Air Raid offense is not exactly new. Lavell Edwards ran this offense at BYU.

No.....Run and Shoot. Jack Pardee

Leach specifically runs the Air Raid offense which was developed by Lavell Edwards, and Mumme who Leached coached with.

Nope.

Ericksons single back 3 wr offense was basically a spread offense. Our qb was just up under center thats all.

And as I recall, people freaked out about it at the time. "Why is there only one RB in the backfield??? Gasp!"

Advertisement
Ericksons single back 3 wr offense was basically a spread offense. Our qb was just up under center thats all.

No " basically " about it. It was a spread.

He called it that when he showed up, it was just under center.

I think the biggest difference is the tempo. I dont remember's Erickson's offense hurrying up as much as they do now.

Advertisement
I think the biggest difference is the tempo. I dont remember's Erickson's offense hurrying up as much as they do now.

They didn't .

I'm not huge on tempo all game but if we're scoring 60 ppg I'll get over it

Advertisement
Look if we hire Butch that's fine. I don't think he will have the same success he had in the past because things are different now and it's been awhile. That's just how I feel. Those of you that are all BBB I get you I do. If we get him fine. I just don't think the admin would bite on it, and like I said I have some doubts.

Herman people - I get you. I do. He's young. He has energy, but we just don't know enough about him. He was kind of not great at all at Iowa State as an OC. He was with Urban Meyer who runs basically HIS spread with assistants executing it. He goes to Houston who wasn't a bad program they finished like 8-5 the year before. He's got a lot of upperclassmen. I just need to see more of him.

Leach is who I really like because He's an active coach who has shown consistently over time...great solid improvement in the status of a program as a HC. He's taken nobodies and made them into somebodies, and that is much much much harder than what others are doing. Just look at how bad Washington State was. No Bowl game for 13 years before he showed up. No winning season for 14 years. The bottom of recruiting in FBS when he took over. A program that had won 9 games TOTAL the previous 4 years.

And here he is in year 4 with young guys making Stanford nervous...beating Oregon at Autzen Stadium. Taking down Rich Rod, Jim Mora, and Todd Graham. That is the mark of somebody who knows how to build something. Anybody worth a **** can take over a winning program and win some games, but very very few people can take a doormat and make them a threat to other people. That's all the guy has done. He's doing all that at one of the most remote recruiting locations in the country.

The last Washington State coach who won 9 games in Pullman we brought to South Beach and we won a title with. Leach to me is the same way. He brings a progressive exciting offense. His players have a chip on their shoulder something to prove, never quit attitude. They aren't soft...they are tough and gritty and they get the job done...despite not being able to run 4.5 40s or being 4 or 5 stars. The guy can coach, and even if we don't hire him...THAT is the attitude we need...we need somebody that can elevate our style of play...the psychology of UM. Nobody fears us anymore, and why should they?...But go ask Stanford, Oregon, Arizona, Arizona State, UCLA if they fear Wazzu. I guarantee they all will say it's the most dangerous program in the conference.

Leach is everyone's favorite until we play a top ten team, the passing game disappears, and we lose 63-21.

Leach is everyone's favorite until we play a top ten team, the passing game disappears, and we lose 63-21.

That's funny, I seem to recall Leach taking down Vince Young and #1 Texas. A couple of years ago, didn't he take a crappy Cougs team to Auburn (who went on to play in the national championship) and almost knock them off too? Leach has made a living out of eating big boys for lunch. The knock on him is that he occasionally loses to teams he should beat.

Last edited:
Advertisement

That's funny, I seem to recall Leach taking down Vince Young and #1 Texas. A couple of years ago, didn't he take a crappy Cougs team to Auburn (who went on to win the national championship) and almost knock them off too? Leach has made a living out of eating big boys for lunch. The knock on him is that he occasionally loses to teams he should beat.

Yeah, he had that one big season in his 9th year. Then lost two of his last three while giving up 112 points in the two losses.

That's funny, I seem to recall Leach taking down Vince Young and #1 Texas. A couple of years ago, didn't he take a crappy Cougs team to Auburn (who went on to win the national championship) and almost knock them off too? Leach has made a living out of eating big boys for lunch. The knock on him is that he occasionally loses to teams he should beat.

Yeah, he had that one big season in his 9th year. Then lost two of his last three while giving up 112 points in the two losses.

It's just killing you to see Leach back in the top 25, isn't it? Turn away, and dream of the good old "3 yards and a cloud of dust" days, because Leach's team is young and will be in the rankings for years to come--that is, unless someone else hires him to put out their own dumpster fire.

It's just killing you to see Leach back in the top 25, isn't it? Turn away, and dream of the good old "3 yards and a cloud of dust" days, because Leach's team is young and will be in the rankings for years to come--that is, unless someone else hires him to put out their own dumpster fire.

That's the point. He takes average players and gets them into the Top 25. If that's what we're after, then bring him in. I am more interested in getting back to championship football, which is foreign to Leach and his coaching tree.

Advertisement
Back