Mike Leach on SEC Offenses

I know it's like amari cooper, AJ green, Julio jones never made it to the NFL bc they went SEC. I wonder what their NFL careers would be like if they didn't go SEC. But they did, too bad we'll never see them play an nfl down now....

Look at this SEC pole smoker.

Those are great athletes, but that is an awfully low number of them. What he doesn't say is the low proportion of these athletes in the NFL compared to other conferences. Sure those guys are good, what about the other thousands of athletes that were in the SEC over the last decade. How did they do?

Advertisement
Yeah, as mentioned by others, it's funny to hear Leach ever talk about other team's offenses when his defense is usually about as bad as they come. He's the head coach, that's on him.

BUT.....taking it a step further, his offense isn't all that creative either. Just look at the tiny @ss play sheet he uses during games. You can say what you want about the points it puts up, but the fact is, the concepts are incredibly simple. Same formations, limited route trees, VERY little running, no zone read or QB run threat.

Leach is great for quotes and funny comments.....but as a coach, he's average.

I know it's like amari cooper, AJ green, Julio jones never made it to the NFL bc they went SEC. I wonder what their NFL careers would be like if they didn't go SEC. But they did, too bad we'll never see them play an nfl down now....

dude the only reason the sec is in affect is because of money and those good al boys. say sec, now say espn. they got to make the product good to sell, all they have to do is beat anybody in the sec who espn makes worthy and oohlah texas am. took four loses to get them out of the rankings. had Mississippi ranked a head of 15 good teams just cause they played a good half and lost to alabama,and fsu. so yeah people are going to be against them every chance they get because this is not how football should be displayed. when was the last time you had a four lost team playing in an major bowl game ranked 14th in head of a no loss and 2 lost team? never. auburn got kicked to sleep by the vt and that shows you that they shouldn't have been there and the first place so yeah they don't have nothing and we showed them that, heeeehaaaa!!!! wait til the tide turn and u don't get all the top recruits than we going to see how they cheat than.oh my bad they got the refs.

Last edited:
The notion that having great athletes equates to championships is crazy. On all levels of football recruiting, free agency and scouting proves this notion to be false. If you don't have coaches that are good with X's and O's your team will fail against an average team come playoffs and championship games. You can find this to hold true with any school that claims that their elite athletes won their championships solely on the backs of their players. I could even start the list with this U.

Leach is selling his play action offense. He knows that it is the best offense to sell to QBs, WRs, TEs and RBs that want to put up the numbers and increase their draft stock.

U can say Saban has the Bags and most P5 coaches on his staff all of which proves my point because at least one coach on his staff fills a need in the X's and O's and recruiting game. And this is nothing new it comes straight out of Jimmy Johnson's "U book" of hiring a great staff and let them coach the players and you coach the coaches.

Last edited:
Sabag has thrived running an NFL organization against college teams. His support staff is about 30 deep compared to the handful of guys on most support staffs.

His support staff includes former P5 HCs and P5 position coaches whereas most other support staffs are mainly HS coaches and kids fresh out of college.

On top of that, Alabaga hands out the biggest bags. He's got a clear competitive advantage that the NCAA ignores.

We saw what Sabag did at Michigan State when he didn't have a competitive advantage. He got blown out regularly and was a 7-5/8-4 level HC.

Advertisement
gee when you point out that the SEC has produced 3 great WR's you are suddenly an SEC pole smoker, LUL.

fine, lets go to ACC. Calvin Johnson went to GT the triple option, even MORE running than the all SEC combined........ if you are a great WR it doesn't matter what college you go to, or how much that college runs the ball you are getting drafted.

also demtrius thomas, another from the ACC pass happy GT yellowcats.

gee when you point out that the SEC has produced 3 great WR's you are suddenly an SEC pole smoker, LUL.

fine, lets go to ACC. Calvin Johnson went to GT the triple option, even MORE running than the all SEC combined........ if you are a great WR it doesn't matter what college you go to you are getting drafted or how much that college runs the ball.

Ok great, we've established the obvious. If you are a world class, potential NFL HOF'er it doesn't matter where you go to college. Now for the other 99%...

Advertisement

fine, lets go to ACC. Calvin Johnson went to GT the triple option, even MORE running than the all SEC combined........ if you are a great WR it doesn't matter what college you go to you are getting drafted or how much that college runs the ball.

Ok great, we've established the obvious. If you are a world class, potential NFL HOF'er it doesn't matter where you go to college. Now for the other 99%...

well considering this board thinks the only way for a WR to get into the NFL is miami, i guess the other 99% better pick miami, so we have have 85 WR's on scholarships.

even though less than 1% of college football players make it to the NFL.

Sabag has thrived running an NFL organization against college teams. His support staff is about 30 deep compared to the handful of guys on most support staffs.

His support staff includes former P5 HCs and P5 position coaches whereas most other support staffs are mainly HS coaches and kids fresh out of college.

On top of that, Alabaga hands out the biggest bags. He's got a clear competitive advantage that the NCAA ignores.

We saw what Sabag did at Michigan State when he didn't have a competitive advantage. He got blown out regularly and was a 7-5/8-4 level HC.
I always say imagine how many coaches would be great with the huge advantages Saban has.

I mean somebody like Bill Snyder would be a god there ,even Leach with 4-5 star players everywhere would break the scoreboard. He was killing sec defenses at freaking Kentucky. He made Tim " I should've been a Couch" look like a beast.

Last edited:

well considering this board thinks the only way for a WR to get into the NFL is miami, i guess the other 99% better pick miami, so we have have 85 WR's on scholarships.

even though less than 1% of college football players make it to the NFL.

Don't be ridiculous. You can't have more than 84 receivers, who would throw the ball to them? I swear, you people never think before you post.

I think you could make that argument in the past, not so much now. A good number of teams run the spread in the SEC now and even though some are run-first due to either scheme or necessity (Bama with Hurts this year) the same is true just about everywhere else except the Big 12 where they mostly have pass-first spread attacks.

Bama- Spread
A&M- Air Raid
Ole Miss- Air Raid
Auburn- Spread
Miss St.- Spread
Tennessee- Spread
Kentucky- Air Raid
Mizzou- Air Raid
South Carolina- Spread

More than half the conference uses some type of spread attack and even a team like UF had more passing attempts this year than any year since 01' when Spurrier was still there running fun n' gun. So for the most part I think this is just another case of perception vs. reality. The irony of course being that Leach's offense is simple as **** too. He himself has said on many occasions he only runs a handful of concepts, he just runs them from different formations and throws just about every down. So what makes his simple preferable to anybody else's simple?

Advertisement
I think recruiting can be one of the things that goes into what makes a guy a great coach. Good to Great Recruiting + Good to Great X & O's = Great Coach

Everybody that is anti $ec should harp on these comments when they are put out there....it is amazing to me that ANYONE that post on this board would be pro $ec anything.

The Natl Championship thread on this board was one of the most egregious display of SEC/Bama nut sucking I have ever seen. It was pathetic. The guilty posters know who they are, calling the game over after the 1Q and just riding Saban and SEC pole like Sasha Grey in a Bear Bryant hat. Pathetic.

Go Canes!

The only thing that makes me wanna purge our fanbase more than the high school football fans that pose as Canes fans are the eunuchs that still bow down to the $EC. I stayed out of the the thread you mentioned for fear of going blind after the anger based stroke some of these clowns would've induced.

I'm no fan of Leach or even Big Gayme Bob but I'm cool when ANYONE speaks truth about the myths and false stature associated with that conference.

Here's how the heavy weights of the SEC rank nationally in Passing Offense. What killed the run away best team in your conference in the last two national titles? A prolific passing attack. Watson threw for 825 yards in two games against the Tide. Look at any four game stretch of SEC teams against Bama and show me where you accumulate that many yards. I'll wait. And I'm no sycophant of Lynch, but to your question about "preferable" his passing offense...well it's ranked 3rd in the nation.

Passing Offense (source cfbstats.com)

3. Washington State
27. University of Miami
79. Florida
87. Alabama
89. Miss State
97. Georgia
101. LSU

More than half the conference uses some type of spread attack and even a team like UF had more passing attempts this year than any year since 01' when Spurrier was still there running fun n' gun. So for the most part I think this is just another case of perception vs. reality. The irony of course being that Leach's offense is simple as **** too. He himself has said on many occasions he only runs a handful of concepts, he just runs them from different formations and throws just about every down. So what makes his simple preferable to anybody else's simple?

Advertisement
Everybody that is anti $ec should harp on these comments when they are put out there....it is amazing to me that ANYONE that post on this board would be pro $ec anything.

we have bandwagon fans ...who likely root for sec schools off the board...and others that live in deep south who have sec crank envy. Sh*t is crazy..what Leach said i have been saying for atleast 5 years...

I killed them in the National championship thread at every ty turn... "Historic defense" lmao...

fine, lets go to ACC. Calvin Johnson went to GT the triple option, even MORE running than the all SEC combined........ if you are a great WR it doesn't matter what college you go to, or how much that college runs the ball you are getting drafted.

also demtrius thomas, another from the ACC pass happy GT yellowcats.

Both wr's went to GT not for Paul Johnson..Chan Gailey was the coach and ran a pro style offense

I think you could make that argument in the past, not so much now. A good number of teams run the spread in the SEC now and even though some are run-first due to either scheme or necessity (Bama with Hurts this year) the same is true just about everywhere else except the Big 12 where they mostly have pass-first spread attacks.

Bama- Spread
A&M- Air Raid
Ole Miss- Air Raid
Auburn- Spread
Miss St.- Spread
Tennessee- Spread
Kentucky- Air Raid
Mizzou- Air Raid
South Carolina- Spread

Whether the team runs a spread or not is irrelevant to Leach's point. You can be in a spread and run it twice in a row and do a play action the third play. That's exactly what Alabama did.

Bama- Spread
A&M- Air Raid
Ole Miss- Air Raid
Auburn- Spread
Miss St.- Spread
Tennessee- Spread
Kentucky- Air Raid
Mizzou- Air Raid
South Carolina- Spread

This was a nice post....

But all i read was blah blah blah....and a bunch of sh*ttty offenses.lol
You shouldnt even post on this subject with who you have for a coach currently and that putrid display of foffense yall been running the last few years. Yall had more passing attempts...GREAT...still suck..and gave a scholarship offer to one of the worst qbs ive ever seen to get a big 3 offer.

Advertisement
Back