Mike Leach on SEC Offenses

I think you could make that argument in the past, not so much now. A good number of teams run the spread in the SEC now and even though some are run-first due to either scheme or necessity (Bama with Hurts this year) the same is true just about everywhere else except the Big 12 where they mostly have pass-first spread attacks.

Bama- Spread
A&M- Air Raid
Ole Miss- Air Raid
Auburn- Spread
Miss St.- Spread
Tennessee- Spread
Kentucky- Air Raid
Mizzou- Air Raid
South Carolina- Spread

More than half the conference uses some type of spread attack and even a team like UF had more passing attempts this year than any year since 01' when Spurrier was still there running fun n' gun. So for the most part I think this is just another case of perception vs. reality. The irony of course being that Leach's offense is simple as **** too. He himself has said on many occasions he only runs a handful of concepts, he just runs them from different formations and throws just about every down. So what makes his simple preferable to anybody else's simple?

Whether the team runs a spread or not is irrelevant to Leach's point. You can be in a spread and run it twice in a row and do a play action the third play. That's exactly what Alabama did.

or in the mnc game...the third play was literally a bubble screen...that sh*t was hilarious. Their just galivanting around names...Spread, Air Raid,Zone spread....them sec teams just run putrid offenses.

Advertisement
I think you could make that argument in the past, not so much now. A good number of teams run the spread in the SEC now and even though some are run-first due to either scheme or necessity (Bama with Hurts this year) the same is true just about everywhere else except the Big 12 where they mostly have pass-first spread attacks.

Bama- Spread
A&M- Air Raid
Ole Miss- Air Raid
Auburn- Spread
Miss St.- Spread
Tennessee- Spread
Kentucky- Air Raid
Mizzou- Air Raid
South Carolina- Spread

More than half the conference uses some type of spread attack and even a team like UF had more passing attempts this year than any year since 01' when Spurrier was still there running fun n' gun. So for the most part I think this is just another case of perception vs. reality. The irony of course being that Leach's offense is simple as **** too. He himself has said on many occasions he only runs a handful of concepts, he just runs them from different formations and throws just about every down. So what makes his simple preferable to anybody else's simple?

Whether the team runs a spread or not is irrelevant to Leach's point. You can be in a spread and run it twice in a row and do a play action the third play. That's exactly what Alabama did.

or in the mnc game...the third play was literally a bubble screen...that sh*t was hilarious. Their just galivanting around names...Spread, Air Raid,Zone spread....them sec teams just run putrid offenses.

So other spread offenses don't run bubble screens? I'm not understanding, you watch any of these Big 12 and Pac 12 teams play with 'wide open' offenses and they're running bubble screens repeatedly as constraint plays, its a staple in most spread offenses. The point is that the perception that SEC offenses are 3 yards and a cloud of dust is just that...perception. The more persuasive argument is that QB play on the whole was down across the board this year and it showed. But that's separate from the systems being run.

Bama- Spread
A&M- Air Raid
Ole Miss- Air Raid
Auburn- Spread
Miss St.- Spread
Tennessee- Spread
Kentucky- Air Raid
Mizzou- Air Raid
South Carolina- Spread

So other spread offenses don't run bubble screens? I'm not understanding, you watch any of these Big 12 and Pac 12 teams play with 'wide open' offenses and they're running bubble screens repeatedly as constraint plays, its a staple in most spread offenses. The point is that the perception that SEC offenses are 3 yards and a cloud of dust is just that...perception. The more persuasive argument is that QB play on the whole was down across the board this year and it showed. But that's separate from the systems being run.
Qb play has never been great outside of a few qbs which makes some of these defense look better than they actually are

Here's how the heavy weights of the SEC rank nationally in Passing Offense. What killed the run away best team in your conference in the last two national titles? A prolific passing attack. Watson threw for 825 yards in two games against the Tide. Look at any four game stretch of SEC teams against Bama and show me where you accumulate that many yards. I'll wait. And I'm no sycophant of Lynch, but to your question about "preferable" his passing offense...well it's ranked 3rd in the nation.

Passing Offense (source cfbstats.com)

3. Washington State
27. University of Miami
79. Florida
87. Alabama
89. Miss State
97. Georgia
101. LSU

What does any of that have to do with my post? You realize there are different forms of spread offense? Leach argued that SEC offenses are simple from a scheme standpoint and so is his, he'd tell you that himself. They run a handful of concepts. So I'm not sure how you pointing out that his offense throws for tons of yards disproves that point. His offense is simple and throws a ton, their offenses are simple and mostly run heavy (supposedly). So what? They're both simple, that's the point.

And as I showed in my first post more than half the conference has moved away from the 3 yard and a cloud of dust type offenses so the perception that these teams just line up in I-Formation and run 40 times a game is dumb. The offenses weren't good because QB play was down, not because they run 'simple systems'. Correlation isn't causation.

Bama- Spread
A&M- Air Raid
Ole Miss- Air Raid
Auburn- Spread
Miss St.- Spread
Tennessee- Spread
Kentucky- Air Raid
Mizzou- Air Raid
South Carolina- Spread

Qb play has never been great outside of a few qbs which makes some of these defense look better than they actually are

How far back do you wanna go?

Eli, Cutler, Leak, Tebow, Cam, Manziel, Aaron Murray, McCarron, Dak, and Stafford off the top of my head. Then there have been other really good college QB's like Connor Shaw, Mettenberger, Nick Marshall, etc. That's 3 Heisman Trophy winners and a bunch of other record setters. More perception rather than reality. There are 5 current SEC QB's starting in the NFL which was the most of any conference at the beginning of this year. Not sure where it stands now at seasons end though.

Advertisement
Has Mike Leach ever beaten a top half of the SEC team? Dude couldn't even beat Minnesota after they ran 41 times on his ***.

Perhaps Leach should understand...running = winning.

You can win doing either. RE: the SEC I just think it's more correct to say QB play has been bad really the last two years. It's not a system thing when half the conference is running some type of spread or air raid attack. The Big 10 and even the ACC still has a good bit of their teams running 'prostyle' attacks but their QB play is better.

"Run right, run left, play-action"

Mike Leach, Washington State Cougars coach, says SEC offenses aren't special

I hope the wide receiver recruits are paying attention.

He ain't lying but people still watch the SEC because it is what little is left of smash mouth football. Everyone trys to be finesse now a days with these gimmick offenses or throwing non-stop screens.

As for the WRs.. yea.. idk why they go to the SEC.. especially to Alabama.. it like they got some type of run blocking fetish.

Everybody that is anti $ec should harp on these comments when they are put out there....it is amazing to me that ANYONE that post on this board would be pro $ec anything.

we have bandwagon fans ...who likely root for sec schools off the board...and others that live in deep south who have sec crank envy. Sh*t is crazy..what Leach said i have been saying for atleast 5 years...

I killed them in the National championship thread at every ty turn... "Historic defense" lmao...

tom-cruise-laughing-hysterically_48.gif

Advertisement
I know it's like amari cooper, AJ green, Julio jones never made it to the NFL bc they went SEC. I wonder what their NFL careers would be like if they didn't go SEC. But they did, too bad we'll never see them play an nfl down now....

You named 3 receivers over the last 6 years coming from 2 schools. Last time I checked Alabama was not a conference. Now the representation of the SEC is pretty much only about Alabama at this point, but that just proves Alabama is a powerhouse and the rest of the SEC would be nobodies without them.

The SEC is not nearly as strong as some of these folks would have you believe.

Name me some stud players from these other SEC schools. Georgia, LSU has had some successful pros, and Texas A&M (which there players were Big 12 players). The majority of the rest of the conference, not so much. Maybe at OL, but not at the skill positions.

In addition, the defensive stats get grossly inflated, because they are regularly playing bad offenses. Bama does have a great defense, but this is why Clemson was able to win, because they have a real offense. Not like the other SEC teams. The whole SEC defenses is a bit overplayed due to constantly playing weak offenses.

"Run right, run left, play-action"

Mike Leach, Washington State Cougars coach, says SEC offenses aren't special

I hope the wide receiver recruits are paying attention.

:q3XKXeX:

Wasn't this was our offense every year we won a championship? Newsflash! If you're better than everybody else you don't need gimmicks! You line em up and dominate!

Yes, Sir!!! I couldn't have said it any better! The U has always had a balanced attach... Even in the Championship years!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back