Mighty Mario

Why the hate for Mario?

B/c he’s a former player, former coach, & he left us immediately for Bama. He’s considered a traitor. And since he’s not back here, and Manny was chosen over him, it’s a two fold hate.

1. He’s a traitor
2. Can’t see him succeed b/c it’ll make us even dumber as a program.

Hence, this fan base celebrates any failures of Butch, as well.

Advertisement
B/c he’s a former player, former coach, & he left us immediately for Bama. He’s considered a traitor. And since he’s not back here, and Manny was chosen over him, it’s a two fold hate.

1. He’s a traitor
2. Can’t see him succeed b/c it’ll make us even dumber as a program.

Hence, this fan base celebrates any failures of Butch, as well.
Are people even still upset that he left? I don’t even think it’s hate to acknowledge that he’s a mediocre in-game coach. He’s good for bringing “toughness” to a program and recruiting but on game days that guy is completely underwhelming. Most talented team in his conference, yearly, with USC down and you know that they’re good for a few stinkers each year. His offensive principles are meh too. Look at how they used Herbert versus how he’s been used in the league. Did not get the most out of him. With all that said, maybe he’s more successful than Manny here? I don’t know. I just don’t think that any critique of the guy is “hate”.

Are people even still upset that he left? I don’t even think it’s hate to acknowledge that he’s a mediocre in-game coach. He’s good for bringing “toughness” to a program and recruiting but on game days that guy is completely underwhelming. Most talented team in his conference, yearly, with USC down and you know that they’re good for a few stinkers each year. His offensive principles are meh too. Look at how they used Herbert versus how he’s been used in the league. Did not get the most out of him. With all that said, maybe he’s more successful than Manny here? I don’t know. I just don’t think that any critique of the guy is “hate”.

Bro; u know like I know, we hold a grudge like a mutha fcka on here! Lol

Why the hate for Mario?

I don’t hate him, and I can only speak for myself, but the the disdain for him is based on the fact that some people are still enthralled with the idea of him becoming our head coach one day, when he has a long drawn out record proving that he can’t win consistently as a head coach, even when gifted with significantly more talent and resources.

He’s had plenty of opportunities to prove himself, and he keeps falling flat on his face. So, no, a lot of people don’t want him here, and I think that’s where this “hate“ comes from.

Even though it’s not really hate, it’s more like preemptive “we don’t want him“

Advertisement
I was salty when Blake’s dumb *** hired Manny instead of going after him. But man, his time at Oregon has not been impressive to me.

I didn’t want Mario here; I didn’t want Manny here. I wanted a proven HC w/ no ties to this program, from either a successful G5 program (like a consistent 10+ game winner) or a P5 OC from a successful program.

It will be interesting to see what Oregon does next season. They got some big time players coming through

I'm not sure why there isn't consensus that Mario is a great recruiter, an average coach, and a former 2 time National Champion at the U that we all should support as long as he is not our head coach.

Advertisement
People are so desperate to badmouth Mario. Constantly bringing up his record at FIU.

Bottom line, he had a good first year at Oregon, actually improving on Taggart's record, while having to take Taggart's coordinators (Arroyo and Leavitt). He then won 12 games in his second year with a new DC (replacing Leavitt). He slipped in Year 3 with a new OC (Moorhead).

Let's see how Mario does in a normal year now that he has his own OC and DC, and the recruiting classes of his own.

Mario's a good coach. Not sure if he's ever coming back to UM, but he's improving.

I don’t hate him, and I can only speak for myself, but the the disdain for him is based on the fact that some people are still enthralled with the idea of him becoming our head coach one day, when he has a long drawn out record proving that he can’t win consistently as a head coach, even when gifted with significantly more talent and resources.

He’s had plenty of opportunities to prove himself, and he keeps falling flat on his face. So, no, a lot of people don’t want him here, and I think that’s where this “hate“ comes from.

Even though it’s not really hate, it’s more like preemptive “we don’t want him“
You're being way too objective OCCC, and speaking for a select likeminded group. I've read many posts on Mario and have perceived something more like unmitigated hate.
Don't get me wrong, as someone who was around in the glory days I don't want to see another sucko year, and picking a coach to take us back to prominence is a priority... and when that day comes around again I want a proven HC not another experiment. Do I want Mario to replace Manny... No. But who the **** is UHealthU gonna dig deep for... I'll leave that to your crystal ball.

Once again getting his *** kicked. That’s all. Anybody who wants him doesn’t realize he is the Manny of the west coast.

neither will ever be successful and Oregon just dumped a **** ton of cash into a new contract with him.
Take his recruiting for 3 years then hire someone who can coachq

Advertisement
Outside the CFB playoffs, no stock can really be taken out of any bowl game due to the many opt outs. Mario would be such a ridiculous upgrade over Manny that anybody arguing against this is a straight up crazy person. Guy just brought the highest recruiting class ever in Oregon, could you imagine how he’d recruit here?

Advertisement
Easy to be an elite recruiter when you have unlimited funds to throw at recruits. Take the Cane shades off. Mario will always be an average HC. Don’t get why it’s so hard for some to understand. Look at the team and qb (Herbert) he had last year and couldn’t even make it to the playoffs. Lol

Outside the CFB playoffs, no stock can really be taken out of any bowl game due to the many opt outs. Mario would be such a ridiculous upgrade over Manny that anybody arguing against this is a straight up crazy person. Guy just brought the highest recruiting class ever in Oregon, could you imagine how he’d recruit here?

He literally has no competition out west. USC is a disaster and every other P5 program from Stanford to Arizona is total dog****.

It's a different animal here. Keeping Flowe would have been a lot tougher if Bama, Clemson and UGA were on the same coast.

Advertisement
Back