Midseason Surprises/Disappointments

JHallCanes

2028 is our year
Premium
These topics are always a bit subjective given what each person expected coming into the season but in no particular order:

Pleasant Surprises:

1. Porter: he’s been glue at times and we rarely hear his name. Thank god for him.

2. Jalen Rivers: the OL was gonna be a strength but he was the big question mark. He did have a rough game against UNC but he’s been rock solid at LT.

3. Bain: I mean I had high hopes for good **** grief kid, might be the best player on the team right now.

4. JHH: not sure where we would be without him either. Really cool to see him take a step this year.

5. Flagg: nuff said for a kid that’s taken a beating here.

Disappointments:

1. Davante Brown: who?

2. Kam: controversial pick I’m sure because he is so vital to this team but to my untrained eye an All American (though I didn’t think that was warranted) should be playing smarter than he is.

There’s a few guys that have been injured that I have a bit of a incomplete grade on so far

I think my list reflects my expectations coming into this season. I didn’t expect to beat A&M or Clemson because our talent isn’t there yet so maybe it’s why I am so bullish on our coaches

Curious to hear some other opinions

Advertisement
Surprises:

1) The CB room has been unreal I can't believe how good Davis and Porter have been. So impressed.

2) The WR room! I feel George is a completely different WR now and has tons of confidence. I can't wait to see Ray Ray and Washington go as their time goes on here.

Disappointments:

1) The RB room while they haven't been bad by any stretch we still don't have that legit RB I am use to seeing at Miami now maybe that's Fletcher once he is healthy but still feel like we can get so much better at RB at Miami.

2) The TE's while McCormick has been an amazing blocker I was hoping for more from them some of that is because Arroya has been hurt.

Advertisement
Disappointment

CJ Jr/Ray Ray usage
Brown bros
Punt Return production
TE usage

Surprises

Kiko
George
DP Jr
JW 20
I considered Ray Ray for a moment but I think Dawson talks a lot about trust so I’m kind of in the middle about where certain players snaps falls just yet

I tend to give a bit more credit to the coaches right now where in the past I probably wouldn’t

I had JW20 on my list as well

Advertisement
I think rush defense has got to be a surprise for a lot of us. I had high hopes with the Lance Guidry hire but our lack of bigger, run stuffing defensive tackles was a pretty hot topic during the off season. Our defense is currently ranked 7th against the run and 6th in yards per carry allowed.

I think rush defense has got to be a surprise for a lot of us. I had high hopes with the Lance Guidry hire but our lack of bigger, run stuffing defensive tackles was a pretty hot topic during the off season. Our defense is currently ranked 7th against the run and 6th in yards per carry allowed.
Spot on man

I try not to get bogged down in the emotional micro moments and step back and look at the entire picture

I look at our coaches from a few angles. Guys they inherited that are suddenly making an impact (Porter, Flagg, Couch in a way, George etc etc)

Did they identify some guys in the portal? Kiko, Lee, Cohen etc

The recruiting will take a bit to fully see but while we all want 5 stars at every spot that stuff will take some time

So I would say both units, the D probably more than the O slightly for me, have outperformed expectations given personnel. Not that they’ve been perfect or are above reproach but in general

Last edited:
Advertisement
These topics are always a bit subjective given what each person expected coming into the season but in no particular order:

Pleasant Surprises:

1. Porter: he’s been glue at times and we rarely hear his name. Thank god for him.

2. Jalen Rivers: the OL was gonna be a strength but he was the big question mark. He did have a rough game against UNC but he’s been rock solid at LT.

3. Bain: I mean I had high hopes for good **** grief kid, might be the best player on the team right now.

4. JHH: not sure where we would be without him either. Really cool to see him take a step this year.

Disappointments:

2. Kam: controversial pick I’m sure because he is so vital to this team but to my untrained eye an All American (though I didn’t think that was warranted) should be playing smarter than he is.

There’s a few guys that have been injured that I have a bit of a incomplete grade on so far

I think my list reflects my expectations coming into this season. I didn’t expect to beat A&M or Clemson because our talent isn’t there yet so maybe it’s why I am so bullish on our coaches

My only thing with Kam. Kids entire career flashed before his eyes. That alone is something really hard to bounce back from. It was bound to impact him those two games back. And in an ankle injury. I think by seasons end he won’t be labeled a “disappointment”

I think we have to say the WR room as a whole was a surprise. Think that was the biggest concern entering the year. Especially after not getting a “number 1” in the portal. More surprises than disappointments IMO

Advertisement
My only thing with Kam. Kids entire career flashed before his eyes. That alone is something really hard to bounce back from. It was bound to impact him those two games back. And in an ankle injury. I think by seasons end he won’t be labeled a “disappointment”

I think we have to say the WR room as a whole was a surprise. Think that was the biggest concern entering the year. Especially after not getting a “number 1” in the portal. More surprises than disappointments IMO
Kam has been my guy since he arrived before he played his first game. He’s everything you want in a player and person.

I was having trouble finding disappointments and was venturing into SLURPER territory so it may be a little unfair

Pleasant Surprises:

Disappointments:

Coo idea.

Surprises
Porter
Bain
George
Guidry

Disappointments
TE group
RB group
Speed
Freshmen snaps