Michigan Runs Bro Style

Give UM and Harbaugh credit. Ya’ll have sh*t on him for years. They just beat 2 pretty **** good opponents and 2 of the best coaches in CFB running a pretty simply brand of football. I’m glad it wasn’t the same ole Bama/UGA/OSU/Clemson etc personally.

I fully expect him to bolt to the NFL now too, lol.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Give UM and Harbaugh credit. Ya’ll have sh*t on him for years. They just beat 2 pretty **** good opponents and 2 of the best coaches in CFB running a pretty simply brand of football. I’m glad it wasn’t the same ole Bama/UGA/OSU/Clemson etc personally.

I fully expect him to bolt to the NFL now too, lol.
Got **** on so much, he went and won his conf. 3 years in a row, while embarrassing his biggest rivals along the way. And capped it off with a 20+ pt natty win. That's a helluva run lmao

Calling what Michigan does 'bro ball' is about as stupid as Josh Gattis calling his offense 'pace and space'

Michigan uses ALOT of motion, shifts, unbalanced lines in order to catch up slippin. The OC Moore is very creative as well. I, legit, stole their counter toss play from the Bama game.

They want to physically, and mentally, wear you down. It's actually impressive

Bro ball, to me, is what Rutgers did to us about a week ago.

Calling what Michigan does 'bro ball' is about as stupid as Josh Gattis calling his offense 'pace and space'

Michigan uses ALOT of motion, shifts, unbalanced lines in order to catch up slippin. The OC Moore is very creative as well. I, legit, stole their counter toss play from the Bama game.

They want to physically, and mentally, wear you down. It's actually impressive

Bro ball, to me, is what Rutgers did to us about a week ago.
Matchup team. They find the best matchup and get creative with it.

It helps when your defense is elite fwiw.

According to many posters here on CiS, in order to win a National Championship you have to get top talent (top 5 recruiting classes) for several classes.

Michigan and Washington (and TCU last season) blew this narrative out of the water.

Michigan’s average composite recruiting class score the past five years is 13th.

Washington’s average composite recruiting class the last five years is 25th.

TCU’s average composite recruiting class the last five years is 30th.

That’s 3 out of the last 8 CFP teams (including the 2 finalists this season and the eventual champion) that have been on the low end talent wise according to the recruiting sites.

Coaching and play calling matters more than ever. Thanks to the transfer portal and NIL, there is more and more parity in the sport. Talent is obviously still important, but without competent coaching and play calling, we will not have a winning program again.

Mario better address these issues during the offseason, or his tenure here will be short.

…and for the “it took Harbaugh 9 years to win a title at Michigan. Harbaugh went 20-6 his 1st two seasons at Michigan, and was a proven college and NFL head coach. Comparing Cristobal to him is both asinine and disingenuous.

Advertisement
Michigan’s average composite recruiting class score the past five years is 13th.

Right around where Manny Diaz was with zero resources and at 1/3 Cristobals salary ... plus he landed the best dual threat QB in the portal as HC, and had a winning record over his first two seasons.

dave chappelle what GIF

This was a more experienced team than I thought. It only had two sophomore starters on offense, three on defense. The rest were GR's/SR's.

The offense looked like shyyt at times this year. Some of their games were str8 slug fest. Only thing is their QB didnt hand the game to the opps with 3 and 4 picks. Go look at the score of some of their games. Yall be attributing genius to simple things. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Not every game is going to be pretty. Does that make my post any less true ? Can Mario come up with an offensive gameplan or adjust to what the defense is doing mid game?

Last edited:
Advertisement
BAHAHAHA......emmmmm kay

They just Bro Balled it down washington's throats for 300+ & 4 TD's on the ground
Tell me you didn’t watch a single Michigan game all year until the championship game without telling me.

“Bro Style” you all call it, I call old fashioned smash mouth football from the Bo days of the past. It works, it wins championships. Skilled guys, creative play calling, execution, bullying up front on both sides. Top off with old school uniforms = champs. They were my pick all season. EVERYONE PLAYING FOR EACH OTHER, no me’s.

The funny thing is, people who don’t know better will say “see, ball control bro style, bro!” Because Michigan ran for a lot of yardage. What they did was the exact opposite of ball control though. They went 1/10 on third downs (most useless stat in football besides time of possession). Washington actually had the TOP advantage. They didn’t convert a third down until the third quarter. They went 0/1 on 4th down. They didn’t put together long, 12 play drives. They had one drive over 7 plays and it got them a field goal. Two touchdowns were 40+ yard runs. A third was set up by an interception returned inside the 5. They got another field goal when Washington gave them the ball on the UW 20 yard line. Michigan won because they got EXPLOSIVE PLAYS on offense and their defense turned the opponent over twice. The goal on offense should be to try to set up as many big plays as possible and not to try to go 80 yards by getting 4 yards at a time. ****, Michigan even had a 40+ yard pass for good measure. They had almost 1/3 of their total offense output on 3 plays.

Advertisement
Michigan is a top coached team in the country.

Michigan has a player lead leadership mentality

Michigan only had 5 turnovers all year

Michigan only had 46 penalties or something like that all year.

Michigan doesn’t spend money on high school kids really which creates a culture

Michigan pays their current players big NIL to stay and develop

They have a an NFL DC

They have an NFL head coach.

Michigan is much more than bro style ball. They proved “old school” can still win championships which I enjoy to see but Mario has a long way to go in reaching all the other levels that Michigan is at that I listed above.

Advertisement
Georgia was #1 in scoring defense in 2021 and #5 last year.

Alabama was #13, Ohio state #44 in 2020. LSU was the lowest ranked scoring defense at 33 in 2019 to win it. Clemson was #1 in 2018 and Alabama was #1 in 2017 when they won. Obviously scoring defense isn’t the end all be all, but the games on and don’t feel like looking up other statistics like third down defense and red zone defense.

Situational defense football.

And Michigan is #1, Washington #54
If you can't score lots of points you aren't winning a Natty in todays football.

So yes you can't be swiss cheese on defense.

But you aren't winning "3 yards and a cloud of dust" relying on defense majority of time. There are exceptions to this, but you have to score especially in the big games or playoff type games.

Michigan is a top coached team in the country.

Michigan has a player lead leadership mentality

Michigan only had 5 turnovers all year

Michigan only had 46 penalties or something like that all year.

Michigan doesn’t spend money on high school kids really which creates a culture

Michigan pays their current players big NIL to stay and develop

They have a an NFL DC

They have an NFL head coach.

Michigan is much more than bro style ball. They proved “old school” can still win championships which I enjoy to see but Mario has a long way to go in reaching all the other levels that Michigan is at that I listed above.
Excellent post and well said. Look at the way Michigan executes. Michigan doesn't beat themselves with silly mental mistakes, lack of focus or lack of discipline. What we saw last night was a very mentally tough and solid football team foundationally and at all levels. They are light years ahead of where we are.

According to many posters here on CiS, in order to win a National Championship you have to get top talent (top 5 recruiting classes) for several classes.

Michigan and Washington (and TCU last season) blew this narrative out of the water.

Washington’s average composite recruiting class the last five years is 25th.

TCU’s average composite recruiting class the last five years is 30th.

That’s 3 out of the last 8 CFP teams (including the 2 finalists this season and the eventual champion) that have been on the low end talent wise according to the recruiting sites.

Coaching and play calling matters more than ever. Thanks to the transfer portal and NIL, there is more and more parity in the sport. Talent is obviously still important, but without competent coaching and play calling, we will not have a winning program again.

Mario better address these issues during the offseason, or his tenure here will be short.

…and for the “it took Harbaugh 9 years to win a title at Michigan. Harbaugh went 20-6 his 1st two seasons at Michigan, and was a proven college and NFL head coach. Comparing Cristobal to him is both asinine and disingenuous.

We’ll see if this begins a trend towards parity or if we go back to same old same old the next few years. Not enough data yet with portal and NIL (and a 12 team playoff coming).

However, Michigan continues the blue chip ratio trend but became the 4th team in the modern recruiting era (~early 2000s) to not have signed a top 5 class the prior 4 cycles but still win a natty. The others were Auburn (Newton) and Clemson x2 (Watson and Lawrence). UM def is an outlier.

Advertisement
Back