Michael Wyche season highlights

ed orgeron recruited him himself to usc. personally wanted him so i assume he can play against good comp

Advertisement
I guess im the only one not too impressed with his film? Some of those olinemen looked 260 pounds at best

That's because he weighs 344lbs. A 300 pounder looks small next to him.

Like having Shane McDermott stand next to Seantrel. Shane would look like a hobbit.

I like this kid... but I wish we can recruit those athletic DT's like Sapp, Maryland, Kennedy... that can get off the ball and make plays get skinny and beat double teams... make TFL and sacks... but if he plays like Wilfork I aint complaining... I'm down for brute strength...

Blackvern, the difference between Wyche and Smith is that the self proclaimed "The Plug" NEVER got better when he got here. For one reason or another, he didnt develop. He was the same player on his JC highlights that he was when he left here. If Wyche wants it bad enough and he works hard he came be 10X better then any DT we have had here since Wilfork. He has the athleticism, he has the attitude, he has the "motivation", and he has the size. He looks the part of a top 10 BCS DT. Which is what we have been lacking. Valentine too. Its up to them and the coaches now.

And his highlights were what I would expect from a guy who has only played 2-3 years of football. But he has the potential. We cant afford to F this one up. The fate of our defense this and next year depends on him and Hertoulou (sp?) panning out.

smith never met his goals. he was a kid who got benched because he was told to lose weight and didnt. also, he wasnt a kid personally recruited by ed oregron. he was a late signee fill in.

Advertisement
It is very important that he is in condition because he will be given a ton of reps by default. If we see a lot of Earl Moore and Corey King, I think its safe to say its going to be another long year on defense.

If Al could find some miracle way to get a guy like Renfrow in again, he would be the boss

If a jag like Renfro who Virginia didnt want came in and jumped ahead of Moore and King,then Wyche and Heurtelu have to do ther same if they have any talent.

Meh

Renfrow was in his 5th year. He's a man already. Moore and King are still in diapers.....especially Moore.

Renfrow was a good run stopper tho

Blackvern, the difference between Wyche and Smith is that the self proclaimed "The Plug" NEVER got better when he got here. For one reason or another, he didnt develop. He was the same player on his JC highlights that he was when he left here. If Wyche wants it bad enough and he works hard he came be 10X better then any DT we have had here since Wilfork. He has the athleticism, he has the attitude, he has the "motivation", and he has the size. He looks the part of a top 10 BCS DT. Which is what we have been lacking. Valentine too. Its up to them and the coaches now.

And his highlights were what I would expect from a guy who has only played 2-3 years of football. But he has the potential. We cant afford to F this one up. The fate of our defense this and next year depends on him and Hertoulou (sp?) panning out.

I hope your right bruh.......... I just refuse to get hyped off any recruits anymore except the ones Ive seen live with my own eyes. Most recruiting highlight tapes don't mean ish... Hope he pans out... But he's gonna have to lose weight...344 aint cutting it.. and he wont play here at that weight I guarantee you that...Hope he is discipline... but not holding my breath

He does his job it seems. Gets major push up the middle. Something we lacked the second half of Season

Advertisement
I like this kid... but I wish we can recruit those athletic DT's like Sapp, Maryland, Kennedy... that can get off the ball and make plays get skinny and beat double teams... make TFL and sacks... but if he plays like Wilfork I aint complaining... I'm down for brute strength...

because, even though I don't agree with it, this is not the kind of DL we need for this D.

May not win many foot races but he looks almost impossible to push. 6'4" 344lbs, and not Darius Smith 344lbs. This guy looks pretty solid and plays with an attitude.
Officially on my list of people I wouldn't want as my prison roommate.

not to be a Debbie downer...but "The Plug" was getting these same type of accolades round these parts

FWIW, the "Plug" was mostly just a big body. IIRC, he was an NR type guy who we hoped would develop into something because of his size and our need in the middle of the DL. He wasnt very highly thought of by most services.

I also think you have a fair point on him. He's a solid guy, but not a major impact guy. He does have good potential though. With our current situation at DT, even a "solid" average type guy would probably be an improvement, at least til the younger guys develop.

Advertisement

We don't play that style of defense.

My $.02. What I liked or what stood out to me about his highlights: he played all the way through the plays they showed, he showed more flexibility than I expected, and he used a variety of techniques to defeat his man and make tackles behind the line of scrimmage. What I think he could do better is play with better pad level and leverage. Far from an expert, but he looked like he stood up at the snap several times. Finally, he's not bad at firing off at the snap, but that didn't stand out to me.

Knowing a bit about his story and seeing that he dedicated the highlights to his mother suggests to me that he'll come to Coral Gables focused and motivated.

/I had the to fight the temptation to comment on how we would use him in our defense.

I guess im the only one not too impressed with his film? Some of those olinemen looked 260 pounds at best

I wanted to be impressed based on his story, and our need. But Stuckey's highlights were better, no doubt. Wyche doesn't have burst or acceleration, but does bring gap control and strength. IMO, Wyche will be a wash vs. Porter, maybe a half-step slower off the snap, but a little tougher in the scrum. Huertelou's highligts, on the other hand, show burst and closing speed. He will be a big upgrade to Renfrow and Robinson.

These are good takes. If Olsen Pierre can punch through his slump this year, and any of the other guys can step up and take some snaps, we'll have a better DL next year. I hope Hamilton and Moore show us something. Because we could potentially have a killer DL in 2015 as Valentine and Moten mature.

Advertisement
If this guy didnt commit this mope thread would be up Goldens *** *****ing why he isnt coming.

kid doesn't look sloppy at all for a 344 lber. kid moves well in his 1st 10 yards. if he's 344, he moves very well. uses his hands a little and like someone else said, uses many moves. i don't know the competition, but, there's a lot to be impressed about. there are things to be impressed about regardless of competition.

Sapp wasn't recruited as a DT. He was moved to DT from TE.

Advertisement
Back