Off-Topic Michael Oher Lawsuit

The bolded is correct. The family’s lawyer claims they deposited his portion of the movie proceeds into his kids trust or whatever. Seems easily verifiable. If that wasn’t the case it wouldn’t have taken this long to bring a suit. And the threats of pay me or I go public, reeks of a shakedown.

It’s all too convenient that this comes up when his book is coming out. No matter what comes of the lawsuit, he’s already won. He’s getting free press for his book and being portrayed as the victim. He’ll probably sell hundreds of thousands of copies before it’s proven that he’s actually a victim or just another con artist. And inevitably when the truth comes out, it’ll be too late to matter.
What if… now follow me here if anyone’s seen Wild Things…

Both the Tuohys and Oher planned this whole thing out to help Big Mike get more money. Sure it stains them both a little bit, but cash rules everything around them and the give it a few weeks and everyone will go back and forget this and still love the movie and whatnot

😂 I was joking btw

Advertisement
What if… now follow me here if anyone’s seen Wild Things…

Both the Tuohys and Oher planned this whole thing out to help Big Mike get more money. Sure it stains them both a little bit, but cash rules everything around them and the give it a few weeks and everyone will go back and forget this and still love the movie and whatnot

😂 I was joking btw
Great movie but we didn't really need to view Kevin Bacon's bacon towards the end.

The people caping for the Touhys saying "they didn't need the money!"..brothers in christ, we are on a college football message board.

They got a five-star, top 5 in the nation OT to go to Ole Miss, their alma mater, the place that would then also get their friend, Hugh Freeze (Oher's HS HC) a coaching job for the same program they were alum and boosters to.

idk, thats about as college football as it gets.

some of you acting like you wouldn't sign Francis Mauigoa to a conservatorship under the guise of an adoption, sell his name, image, and likeness to a book/movie deal that makes him look like a big dumb dumb, profit off of it, and not give him a cut if it meant him and Hugh Freeze end up in Miami.

Its a cut throat game.

Two things don't make sense.

First and most important, Sean Touhy either lied or found the most incompetent lawyers in the state of Tennessee. He stated in an interview that the family chose a conservatorship because his attorneys told him that adults could not be adopted under TN state law. It would take any lawyer about 20 seconds to look up the state law, which clearly allows for adults to be adopted (only requirement is the adult has to consent). The guy is worth a couple hundred million, so I doubt he found attorneys who were as dumb as a box of rocks.

Second, the Tuohy's were apparently quite wealthy before the book and movie, so why would they ensure movie and book royalties get paid to them and their children? If it were me and I was worth a couple hundred million, I'd have 100% of profit/royalties going to a charitable trust to help other kids like Michael Oher. No reason to try and turn a profit off of what was supposedly an act of altruism. One thing that is true about rich people, they like to get richer. So the argument that they wouldn't ***** over Oher because they didn't need the money doesn't carry much weight with me.

Advertisement

First and most important, Sean Touhy either lied or found the most incompetent lawyers in the state of Tennessee. He stated in an interview that the family chose a conservatorship because his attorneys told him that adults could not be adopted under TN state law. It would take any lawyer about 20 seconds to look up the state law, which clearly allows for adults to be adopted (only requirement is the adult has to consent). The guy is worth a couple hundred million, so I doubt he found attorneys who were as dumb as a box of rocks.

Second, the Tuohy's were apparently quite wealthy before the book and movie, so why would they ensure movie and book royalties get paid to them and their children? If it were me and I was worth a couple hundred million, I'd have 100% of profit/royalties going to a charitable trust to help other kids like Michael Oher. No reason to try and turn a profit off of what was supposedly an act of altruism. One thing that is true about rich people, they like to get richer. So the argument that they wouldn't ***** over Oher because they didn't need the money doesn't carry much weight with me.
Never in my life have I ever heard someone that is wealthy say "you know what, I am rich enough"

Read the ESPN "FAQ" article I posted...there are a few more contradictions from the Touhys that don't make sense...but I didn't feel like expounding on them, but they are in there.

Read the ESPN "FAQ" article I posted...there are a few more contradictions from the Touhys that don't make sense...but I didn't feel like expounding on them, but they are in there.

OK, but here's the thing...

It is possible for each side to have facts that both HELP their argument and/or sympathy, and facts which HURT them in that regard.

I am not supporting EITHER side. I think it is sad that it has reached this point.

So let's just think about this, because I think there is a lot of misunderstanding here.

The real point of contention would be circumstances involving the book and the movie. I do not believe anyone is contending that the conservatorship took any of Michael's NFL salary that he has earned as an adult.

And while it is possible for an outside advisor to BELIEVE that a runaway hit movie has generated millions of dollars that "should" go to Michael Oher, the reality of such Hollywood movie deals is usually different. Just because a movie EVENTUALLY succeeded does not create a situation where the movie studio then retroactively decides to give millions back to the original creator(s) of the story.

One of the more famous examples of this is the movie Forrest Gump, which notoriously 'promised" a profit participation to Winston Groom (the author of the novel), but then SOMEHOW the movie never earned a profit, even though it was one of the most successful films of the decade. They don't call it "Hollywood Accounting" for nothing.

Now, as I said, some facts are "good" for one side and some are "not so good". In my OWN PERSONAL OPINION, I think it is a bit...unusual...to split the movie rights money 5 ways. If anything, I would have given a larger percentage to Michael Oher, but that's just MY feeling.

As mentioned above, we can debate whether the movie ever made a "profit". But the issue of the initial payment(s) should be factual and verifiable as to certain aspects. For instance, the TOTAL amount paid (and I guess paid over, such as money going from the author to the family) should be evidenced by checks and bank deposits. There does seem to be a discrepancy between the ESPN reports of how much was paid to the family, when compared to the family's own accounting, so to speak, but this appears to be in the "thousands" range of variance, not in the "millions".

Finally, as for the rest of the big to-do, on whether Michael Oher was "adopted" or brought into the family via conservatorship, I'm not sure that there is a ton of meat on the bone here. The biggest fact going against Michael Oher is his OWN acknowledgement that, yes, he was not adopted (per his own autobiography). As for the family's explanation of things, it's very likely they WERE advised on something in the context of college and recruiting (i.e., Oher was too old to be adopted) that might not be the exact statement of Mississippi law. Regardless of any claims, adoption of an ADULT is very rare IN ANY STATE FOR ANY REASON. That's just a fact. We could question why the family's book and the "Blind Side" book are not SUPER explicit on the differences between adoption and conservatorship, but I don't see where there was a devious intention to confuse the two. I've seen plenty of families that will state a familial bond out of FEELING, rather than a particular legal status.

I don't see a lot of bad intention on anyone's part here, except possibly for any legal advice to Michael Oher that there are "millions" of dollars from The Blind Side that have never been paid to him. That's just not how Hollywood works. I'm sure that the studio cheaped-out on giving the author and/or the family any more than what was previously agreed upon. And if the family has correctly stated the situation, and can trace the payments and splits to deposits in the trust account, I'm not sure why anyone will think that this will result in a big payday for anyone.

Let's just wait to see if there are any REAL smoking guns, otherwise I'm just chalking this one up to "sad and pathetic family feud" for the time being.

The bolded is correct. The family’s lawyer claims they deposited his portion of the movie proceeds into his kids trust or whatever. Seems easily verifiable. If that wasn’t the case it wouldn’t have taken this long to bring a suit. And the threats of pay me or I go public, reeks of a shakedown.

It’s all too convenient that this comes up when his book is coming out. No matter what comes of the lawsuit, he’s already won. He’s getting free press for his book and being portrayed as the victim. He’ll probably sell hundreds of thousands of copies before it’s proven that he’s actually a victim or just another con artist. And inevitably when the truth comes out, it’ll be too late to matter.
Can somebody with a legal background help me out here? Why is it that the only money focused in the conservatorship would be his book and movie royalties what about his NFL contract and endorsement money if there was any? It doesn't make sense that that's the only money that would be considered in the conservatorship from a non lawyer POV.

Advertisement
Can somebody with a legal background help me out here? Why is it that the only money focused in the conservatorship would be his book and movie royalties what about his NFL contract and endorsement money if there was any? It doesn't make sense that that's the only money that would be considered in the conservatorship from a non lawyer POV.

I kind-of alluded to this in my response above. From my reading of certain articles, it seems that this is NOT about his NFL earnings being put into trust.

From a common sense POV, bc I’m not a lawyer, the bank statements and direct deposits will show all. Again weird timing that it took this long for this to be brought up. Something isn’t adding up. Seems like a media play by Oher. On the other side I can see the family taking 80% of the money from the movie and from his earlier book (idk if they took money from the book that’s just a guess) made Oher feel some type of way.

Gut feeling says It’s being blown out of proportion.

Last edited:
OK, but here's the thing...

It is possible for each side to have facts that both HELP their argument and/or sympathy, and facts which HURT them in that regard.

I am not supporting EITHER side. I think it is sad that it has reached this point.

So let's just think about this, because I think there is a lot of misunderstanding here.

The real point of contention would be circumstances involving the book and the movie. I do not believe anyone is contending that the conservatorship took any of Michael's NFL salary that he has earned as an adult.

And while it is possible for an outside advisor to BELIEVE that a runaway hit movie has generated millions of dollars that "should" go to Michael Oher, the reality of such Hollywood movie deals is usually different. Just because a movie EVENTUALLY succeeded does not create a situation where the movie studio then retroactively decides to give millions back to the original creator(s) of the story.

One of the more famous examples of this is the movie Forrest Gump, which notoriously 'promised" a profit participation to Winston Groom (the author of the novel), but then SOMEHOW the movie never earned a profit, even though it was one of the most successful films of the decade. They don't call it "Hollywood Accounting" for nothing.

Now, as I said, some facts are "good" for one side and some are "not so good". In my OWN PERSONAL OPINION, I think it is a bit...unusual...to split the movie rights money 5 ways. If anything, I would have given a larger percentage to Michael Oher, but that's just MY feeling.

As mentioned above, we can debate whether the movie ever made a "profit". But the issue of the initial payment(s) should be factual and verifiable as to certain aspects. For instance, the TOTAL amount paid (and I guess paid over, such as money going from the author to the family) should be evidenced by checks and bank deposits. There does seem to be a discrepancy between the ESPN reports of how much was paid to the family, when compared to the family's own accounting, so to speak, but this appears to be in the "thousands" range of variance, not in the "millions".

Finally, as for the rest of the big to-do, on whether Michael Oher was "adopted" or brought into the family via conservatorship, I'm not sure that there is a ton of meat on the bone here. The biggest fact going against Michael Oher is his OWN acknowledgement that, yes, he was not adopted (per his own autobiography). As for the family's explanation of things, it's very likely they WERE advised on something in the context of college and recruiting (i.e., Oher was too old to be adopted) that might not be the exact statement of Mississippi law. Regardless of any claims, adoption of an ADULT is very rare IN ANY STATE FOR ANY REASON. That's just a fact. We could question why the family's book and the "Blind Side" book are not SUPER explicit on the differences between adoption and conservatorship, but I don't see where there was a devious intention to confuse the two. I've seen plenty of families that will state a familial bond out of FEELING, rather than a particular legal status.

I don't see a lot of bad intention on anyone's part here, except possibly for any legal advice to Michael Oher that there are "millions" of dollars from The Blind Side that have never been paid to him. That's just not how Hollywood works. I'm sure that the studio cheaped-out on giving the author and/or the family any more than what was previously agreed upon. And if the family has correctly stated the situation, and can trace the payments and splits to deposits in the trust account, I'm not sure why anyone will think that this will result in a big payday for anyone.

Let's just wait to see if there are any REAL smoking guns, otherwise I'm just chalking this one up to "sad and pathetic family feud" for the time being.
I agree or understand with most everything you said here.

But I will not necessarily disagree, but the adoption-conservatorship angle doesn't sit well with me. Every excuse that has been put in text or said in an interview sound a lot like the rehearsed lines they likely had from those NCAA depos back in the day. On a human level, if this young man is your newly found son that you love unconditionally, not adopting him formally just doesn't sit well with me and everything after that sounds like the **** they told the NCAA...and I'm sure Oher's account isn't great either, but it stinks more from the Touhys side of this feud with what public information is available.

Your mileage may vary on how bad the Touhy's (or even Oher's) intentions are, but the Touhys angle stinks a lot more than Oher's, IMO. I don't know whats in the Touhy's hearts...I'd hope that they truly love this man...so I won't say they had devious intent. For lack of a better term, means-to-an-end (but with maybe love).

However, this relationship was assuredly mutually beneficial...despite all the noise because of the story everyone knows...now its just two wealthy parties squabbling over how much.

I agree or understand with most everything you said here.

But I will not necessarily disagree, but the adoption-conservatorship angle doesn't sit well with me. Every excuse that has been put in text or said in an interview sound a lot like the rehearsed lines they likely had from those NCAA depos back in the day. On a human level, if this young man is your newly found son that you love unconditionally, not adopting him formally just doesn't sit well with me and everything after that sounds like the **** they told the NCAA...and I'm sure Oher's account isn't great either, but it stinks more from the Touhys side of this feud with what public information is available.

Your mileage may vary on how bad the Touhy's (or even Oher's) intentions are, but the Touhys angle stinks a lot more than Oher's, IMO. I don't know whats in the Touhy's hearts...I'd hope that they truly love this man...so I won't say they had devious intent. For lack of a better term, means-to-an-end (but with maybe love).

However, this relationship was assuredly mutually beneficial...despite all the noise because of the story everyone knows...now its just two wealthy parties squabbling over how much.

Fair enough. I'm just pointing out the things that we know to be true, and are not a product of hurt feelings or "I didn't get paid enough" years later.

We know that the process, whatever process, be it adoption or conservatorship, did not take place until he was 18. For many practical purposes, there is no reason to do an adoption that late in life. Pre-fame, with an independently wealthy family, the only viable reasons are "we love this guy like a family member" and/or assistance as guardians during the end of high school and beginning of college.

Bottom line, this appears to be a dispute over any payment(s) associated with the book and/or movie of The Blind Side. Oher was a first round draft choice, and would have been entitled to all of his wages. The only thing that appears to have gone into the trust is money associated with the joint story of the Tuohys and Ohers.

I hope they can figure out a way to settle this and reconcile. No need for this craziness. I don't know all the parties, but this truly appears to be an outside attorney telling one person "you should have been paid more, look at how much money that movie made."

Advertisement
I thought the movie sucked, starting from making Oher look retarded. Then the idea that the mom showed him how to play tackle.

Advertisement
1692560879883.png

I agree with the bold.

Advertisement
Back