Off-Topic Michael Oher Lawsuit

It’s gonna be hard to ever know the real story behind this.

Obviously ****** to take advantage of the young man (if they did), but they also helped put him in position to succeed (though he is the one who ultimately did the work to succeed.

Sad situation.

Advertisement
View attachment 251403
View attachment 251407

View attachment 251404
A statement from Tuohy family attorney, Martin Singer:

Anyone with a modicum of common sense can see that the outlandish claims made by Michael Oher about the Tuohy family are hurtful and absurd. The idea that the Tuohys have ever sought to profit off Mr. Oher is not only offensive, it is transparently ridiculous. Through hard work and good fortune, Sean and Leigh Anne have made an extraordinary amount of money in the restaurant business. The notion that a couple worth hundreds of millions of dollars would connive to withhold a few thousand dollars in profit participation payments from anyone – let alone from someone they loved as a son – defies belief.

In reality, the Tuohys opened their home to Mr. Oher, offered him structure, support and, most of all, unconditional love. They have consistently treated him like a son and one of their three children. His response was to threaten them, including saying that he would plant a negative story about them in the press unless they paid him $15 million.

When Michael Lewis, a friend of Sean's since childhood, was approached about turning his book on Mr. Oher and the Tuohys into a movie about their family, his agents negotiated a deal where they received a small advance from the production company and a tiny percentage of net profits. They insisted that any money received be divided equally. And they have made good on that pledge.

The evidence – documented in profit participation checks and studio accounting statements – is clear: over the years, the Tuohys have given Mr. Oher an equal cut of every penny received from The Blind Side. Even recently, when Mr. Oher started to threaten them about what he would do unless they paid him an eight-figure windfall, and, as part of that shakedown effort refused to cash the small profit checks from the Tuohys, they still deposited Mr. Oher's equal share into a trust account they set up for his son.

Additionally, in spite of the false allegation in the lawsuit, the Tuohys have always been upfront about how a conservatorship (from which not one penny was received) was established to assist with Mr. Oher's needs, ranging from getting him health insurance and obtaining a driver's license to helping with college admissions. Should Mr. Oher wish to terminate the conservatorship, either now or at anytime in the future, the Tuohys will never oppose it in any way.

Unbeknownst to the public, Mr. Oher has actually attempted to run this play several times before – but it seems that numerous other lawyers stopped representing him once they saw the evidence and learned the truth. Sadly, Mr. Oher has finally found a willing enabler and filed this ludicrous lawsuit as a cynical attempt to drum up attention in the middle of his latest book tour.

The Tuohys will always care deeply for Mr. Oher. They are heartbroken over these events. They desperately hope that he comes to regret his recent decisions, makes different choices in the future and that they someday can be reconciled with him. In the meantime, however, they will not hesitate to defend their good names, stand up to this shakedown and defeat this offensive lawsuit.

@BoxingRobes @Tony4Miami @Zombie-Cane @JeddTheFisch

This is a really weird situation.

Advertisement
IMG_0604.jpeg

interesting to contrast the actual words in the book with Whitlock's interpretation: "Last night, I read Michael Oher's 2011 memoir, "I Beat the Odds." In it, he states the Touhys entered into a conservatorship and they included Oher's mom in the process. He didn't claim he thought he was adopted then. Can we trust his own book?"

Advertisement
The people caping for the Touhys saying "they didn't need the money!"..brothers in christ, we are on a college football message board.

They got a five-star, top 5 in the nation OT to go to Ole Miss, their alma mater, the place that would then also get their friend, Hugh Freeze (Oher's HS HC) a coaching job for the same program they were alum and boosters to.

idk, thats about as college football as it gets.

some of you acting like you wouldn't sign Francis Mauigoa to a conservatorship under the guise of an adoption, sell his name, image, and likeness to a book/movie deal that makes him look like a big dumb dumb, profit off of it, and not give him a cut if it meant him and Hugh Freeze end up in Miami.

Its a cut throat game.

Last edited:
The people caping for the Touhys saying "they didn't need the money!"..brothers in christ, we are on a college football message board.

They got a five-star, top 5 in the nation OT to go to Ole Miss, their alma mater, the place that would then also get their friend, Hugh Freeze (Oher's HS HC) a coaching job for the same program they were alum and boosters to.

idk, thats about as college football as it gets.

some of you acting like you wouldn't sign Francis Mauigoa to a conservatorship under the guise of an adoption, sell his name, image, and likeness to a book/movie deal that makes him look like a big dumb dumb, profit off of it, and not give him a cut if it meant him and Hugh Freeze end up in Miami.

Its a cut throat game.
At worst, they took someone in that they knew could help Ole Miss. That's pretty much it. Nobody can say they knew they were going to have a movie being made about their lives or make the amount of money that they did from that movie.

Advertisement
if they are his conservators and managing his finances, why does it seem like he is desperate for more money?

the whole thing stinks and neither side looks good.

Yup, low risk, low effort for an almost certain settlement.
And the media loves it cause anytime they can stoke up some racial division… it’s go time!

And I’m sure Oher is probably a good dude deep down and I’m sure the Touey’s aren’t perfect. But this story stinks to high heaven

I’ve always believed the truth is somewhere in the middle, in disputes like this. But Oher is contradicting his own book. Tough to get past that and harder to believe they tricked him or he just willingly signed a piece of paper not knowing what it meant.

Sure seems like he brought this lawsuit to drum up interest in his new book and to extort some cash.

Advertisement
if they are his conservators and managing his finances, why does it seem like he is desperate for more money?

the whole thing stinks and neither side looks good.
The whole thing makes no sense.

The conservatorship would have ended long ago.

If there had been gross misfeasance or malfeasance during the conservatorship, that would have been known long ago.

I haven't read the complaint, but I'll assume his alleging some sort of unjust enrichment theory instead. This sounds like a tort action.

And even the latter strikes me as odd, given the amount of time that has elapsed from when he met them, made a movie, and played football.

The timeframe and timing doesn't add up.

It might make more sense if, at some recent point, he discovered that they stole or hid royalties or something of that nature. But even then, I'm having my doubts.

Mind you, I know nothing of these peoples' personal lives or past, Plaintiff or Defendants.

If there had been gross misfeasance or malfeasance during the conservatorship, that would have been known long ago.

I haven't read the complaint, but I'll assume his alleging some sort of unjust enrichment theory instead. This sounds like a tort action.

And even the latter strikes me as odd, given the amount of time that has elapsed from when he met them, made a movie, and played football.

It might make more sense if, at some recent point, he discovered that they stole or hid royalties or something of that nature. But even then, I'm having my doubts.

Mind you, I know nothing of these peoples' personal lives or past, Plaintiff or Defendants.
I would defer to you and others on the legal aspect. I can definitely envision scenarios where he was legitimately wronged and scenarios where he is not in the right. Same with the tuohys — and very likely it is not as simple as one side is in the right and the other isn’t.

I would defer to you and others on the legal aspect. I can definitely envision scenarios where he was legitimately wronged and scenarios where he is not in the right. Same with the tuohys — and very likely it is not as simple as one side is in the right and the other isn’t.
As can I, easily.

The bolded is correct. The family’s lawyer claims they deposited his portion of the movie proceeds into his kids trust or whatever. Seems easily verifiable. If that wasn’t the case it wouldn’t have taken this long to bring a suit. And the threats of pay me or I go public, reeks of a shakedown.

It’s all too convenient that this comes up when his book is coming out. No matter what comes of the lawsuit, he’s already won. He’s getting free press for his book and being portrayed as the victim. He’ll probably sell hundreds of thousands of copies before it’s proven that he’s actually a victim or just another con artist. And inevitably when the truth comes out, it’ll be too late to matter.

Advertisement
Back