Off-Topic Michael Oher Lawsuit

Warren Buffet has said it publicly for years.
As a big fan of Buffett (I spend a lot of time on my investments, and have for a long time), EL OH EL.

Buffett is the greatest investor of all time, an outstanding political operator, and will literally die while making a trade. No matter what he says, he is literally addicted to money, and making it.

Advertisement
1692700418173.png
1692700436190.png

What's "puzzling". Boy howdy, there's some hard-hitting journalism from People Magazine.

First, let's deal with the MOST important, MOST relevant issue. The LOI:

1692809869328.png

Second, let's deal with the timeline:

2004 - Michael Oher's 18th birthday, and the year when the conservatorship was put into effect
2005 - Michael Oher signs with Ole Miss at approximately 18 years, 9 months of age
2006 - The Blind Side book is published
2009 - The Blind Side movie is released

Third, as People BELATEDLY acknowledges in the article, one of the most significant differences between adoption and conservatorship is...there is no INHERITANCE right in a conservatorship. So, I don't know, I'm going to spitball an idea here...regardless of whether this is COMMON (it is not), perhaps someone advised the Tuohy family that PERHAPS the NCAA might be concerned that a MULTI-MILLIONAIRE family is trying to adopt an 18-year-old 5-star football recruit RIGHT BEFORE SIGNING DAY. Because, you know, that would be a pretty neat loophole for everyone to exploit, you find a bunch of multi-millionaires to "adopt" kids right before Signing Day, giving them inheritance rights. Brilliant.

Finally, as gets overlooked by People and others, a judge approved the conservatorship. Unlike, say, a terrible Grant of Rights contract, or an eternal TV contract, or a rotten sports apparel contract, a judge actually reviewed this conservatorship agreement before it went into effect. So, I don't know, maybe this isn't just some rich people taking advantage of a kid.

And to be clear, in 2004, THERE WAS NO MONEY. Sure, maybe there could have been future money, but the conservatorship was put into place for legal and familial reasons, not to take in any money related to The Blind Side, which had yet to be published and/or made into a movie.

So, if some of these breathless articles would bother to research what really happened, instead of yapping about how Michael Oher had "no physical or mental limitations", or by using his LATER collegiate academic achievement to retroactively prove there was no "mental impairment" need for a conservatorship, maybe we could reduce the hatred and finger-pointing.

By all accounts, Michael Oher:

1. Had a 0.76 GPA
2. Had a mother with alcohol and crack cocaine addictions
3. Had a father who was frequently incarcerated and was killed in prison during Michael's senior year of high school
4. Was placed in foster care at age 7 and was occasionally homeless
5. Failed first and second grade and attended 11 schools in his first 9 years of public school

None of that is to suggest that Michael Oher is a bad person or an incapable person, but to point out the tremendous turmoil in his life before the age of 18, and to show WHY someone might want to help out a person with tremendous capabilities in other areas, capabilities that could be life-changing.

Michael Oher needed a LEGAL GUARDIAN to sign his LOI, years before The Blind Side book/movie became a money-making venture. And let's not pretend that the NCAA wasn't scrutinizing every aspect of this.

1692811327404.png

Advertisement
What's "puzzling". Boy howdy, there's some hard-hitting journalism from People Magazine.

First, let's deal with the MOST important, MOST relevant issue. The LOI:

View attachment 252375

Second, let's deal with the timeline:

2004 - Michael Oher's 18th birthday, and the year when the conservatorship was put into effect
2005 - Michael Oher signs with Ole Miss at approximately 18 years, 9 months of age
2006 - The Blind Side book is published
2009 - The Blind Side movie is released

Third, as People BELATEDLY acknowledges in the article, one of the most significant differences between adoption and conservatorship is...there is no INHERITANCE right in a conservatorship. So, I don't know, I'm going to spitball an idea here...regardless of whether this is COMMON (it is not), perhaps someone advised the Tuohy family that PERHAPS the NCAA might be concerned that a MULTI-MILLIONAIRE family is trying to adopt an 18-year-old 5-star football recruit RIGHT BEFORE SIGNING DAY. Because, you know, that would be a pretty neat loophole for everyone to exploit, you find a bunch of multi-millionaires to "adopt" kids right before Signing Day, giving them inheritance rights. Brilliant.

Finally, as gets overlooked by People and others, a judge approved the conservatorship. Unlike, say, a terrible Grant of Rights contract, or an eternal TV contract, or a rotten sports apparel contract, a judge actually reviewed this conservatorship agreement before it went into effect. So, I don't know, maybe this isn't just some rich people taking advantage of a kid.

And to be clear, in 2004, THERE WAS NO MONEY. Sure, maybe there could have been future money, but the conservatorship was put into place for legal and familial reasons, not to take in any money related to The Blind Side, which had yet to be published and/or made into a movie.

So, if some of these breathless articles would bother to research what really happened, instead of yapping about how Michael Oher had "no physical or mental limitations", or by using his LATER collegiate academic achievement to retroactively prove there was no "mental impairment" need for a conservatorship, maybe we could reduce the hatred and finger-pointing.

By all accounts, Michael Oher:

1. Had a 0.76 GPA
2. Had a mother with alcohol and crack cocaine addictions
3. Had a father who was frequently incarcerated and was killed in prison during Michael's senior year of high school
4. Was placed in foster care at age 7 and was occasionally homeless
5. Failed first and second grade and attended 11 schools in his first 9 years of public school

None of that is to suggest that Michael Oher is a bad person or an incapable person, but to point out the tremendous turmoil in his life before the age of 18, and to show WHY someone might want to help out a person with tremendous capabilities in other areas, capabilities that could be life-changing.

Michael Oher needed a LEGAL GUARDIAN to sign his LOI, years before The Blind Side book/movie became a money-making venture. And let's not pretend that the NCAA wasn't scrutinizing every aspect of this.

View attachment 252376
****** situation. i dont see a real legal case for oher to be getting more money -- but i can understand why he feels wronged.

****** situation. i dont see a real legal case for oher to be getting more money -- but i can understand why he feels wronged.

I think his lawyer is CONVINCED that the "2.5% residuals" against a $300M gross for the movie were actually paid out.

I don't think his lawyer knows the difference between "residuals" and "profit participation".

I mentioned this earlier, Winston Groom (book author) had profit participation in the movie Forrest Gump. The Forrest Gump movie grossed $678 million (The Blind Side grossed $309 million). The Forrest Gump budget was $55 million (The Blind Side was $29 million). Apparently, the Forrest Gump movie has not yet made a "net" profit, as Winston Groom was paid nothing. But Paramount bought him off with an ADVANCE on Forrest Gump 2, which is never going to be made.

Hollywood Accounting...

1692814215330.png

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back