Michael Barrow For DC?

In Regards To Barrow...
If I'm a coach... and I'm going to entrust half of the football team to an individual while I take care of the offensive side....
I'm making **** sure that this hire isn't going to someone who isn't doing this for the first time... just my opinion. How comfortable can you really feel?

In regards to 1st time DCs...
Somebody brought up that Pruitt was a 1st time DC under Saban.. but everyone Knows Saban is the architect of the Defense.....
Other guys that are 1st time DCs go are usually promoted within.. or the HC is a defensive coach who has a philosophy for you to run
Very Rare do you have a guy go from college position coach to a 1st time DC at another school... and be successful...

But I can't think of any NFL position coach that came back to be a 1st time DC in college and that the HC wasn't already defensive oriented coach...
I'm sure one is out there... just doesn't happen very often

JC

I agree with you but Pruitt's first time being a DC was at fsu

Correct....Pruitt is the one ALPHA male that's Rare like i said...
But obviously he ain't coming...

But overall... you have to dig deep to find one like a Pruitt.

JC

Last edited:
Advertisement
Seattles LBs have been shaky this year. Their whole defense is way worse despite the same personnel and same scheme. I wouldn't be crowning Barrow.

That's a bit of an exaggeration.

They're still:

3rd in scoring defense.
2nd in Yards allowed/game.
6th against the pass.
2nd against the run.
5th in sacks.
1st in Passing TDs allowed.
8th in QBR allowed.

Areas of struggle:

16th in rushing TDs allowed.
29th in INTs.
25th in Forced Fumbles.

Seattles LBs have been shaky this year. Their whole defense is way worse despite the same personnel and same scheme. I wouldn't be crowning Barrow.

They're still:

3rd in scoring defense.
6th against the pass.
2nd against the run.
5th in sacks.
8th in QBR allowed.

Areas of struggle:

29th in INTs.
25th in Forced Fumbles.

They are still good. They started off slow this year when chancellor was holding out. I will take those struggles they have anyday of the week, especially after what we have seen the last 5 years.

Let see. Barrow played at the U for 4 years, was then a LB in the NFL for 13 years, was then a high school coach, an LB coach with the Canes, LB NFL coach with the Seahawks for 1 year, during his Canes and NFL days, 18 years, dude was a MLB which for the most part plays behind the D Line, in front of DB's, dude called Defensive signals during his time, dude understands what everyone on the D is supposed to do or be doing, dude was a frigging leader and stud yet dude is not qualified to be a DC? Wow!! I guess that due to his experience level Dorito is better qualified than Michael to be a DC??... By the way, Michael was in Orlando during the recent FLA High School championship games at the same time Richt was there. Michael flew across country just to watch High School games in FL! What a coincidence ha!!

Ok. At what point of his awesome career has he ever called a defense?
Coach.. did you learn everything about coaching while you were a coach or did you learn some of the aspects of X's and O's while you were playing? You have to think he picked up something about coaching in his career... If he only repeats SOME of the things he have stubbled across in his more than 20 years of Line backing...he would be more qualified than MOST...

I honestly learned 99% of the stuff I currently know from coaching... not playing.

Most coaches just tell you what to do and where to be, they don't tell you why. That's why players don't learn the details of defense. They learn techniques and they learn basics but that's about it. Most players don't know crap, they just do what their coach is asking (or coaching) them to do.

That's why I'll take a guy that has coached 15 years but only played ball in college ...over a guy who's only coached 5 years but played 15 in the NFL. More learning is done when you're coaching.

That may be the case for you, but there are countless guys who get really into the Xs and Os while they play. It's just a matter of context. There are guys who didn't play at a high level and still have an incredible feel for schemes, techniques, etc. There are also guys I know who played at incredibly high levels and just "did a job." Lots of different situations.

I don't doubt that but I've met a lot less of those types. I don't recall Barrow's Homestead teams being very good.

Advertisement

They're still:

3rd in scoring defense.
6th against the pass.
2nd against the run.
5th in sacks.
8th in QBR allowed.

Areas of struggle:

29th in INTs.
25th in Forced Fumbles.

Is it fair to say they have taken a step back though? With their Rookie DC and new LB and DB coach?

And btw, the masses would hate the Seattle scheme here, which requires a ton of size/power guys. It also hasn't worked when the personnel isn't perfect. Gus Bradley and Dan Quinn are stinking up the joint defensively. Like, shameful defenses. I would honestly be extremely worried, disappointed, and frustrated if we hired Michael Barrow to come attempt to install the Kiffin 4-3 Under Cover 3 here.

They're still:

3rd in scoring defense.
6th against the pass.
2nd against the run.
5th in sacks.
8th in QBR allowed.

Areas of struggle:

29th in INTs.
25th in Forced Fumbles.

Is it fair to say they have taken a step back though? With their Rookie DC and new LB and DB coach?

And btw, the masses would hate the Seattle scheme here, which requires a ton of size/power guys. It also hasn't worked when the personnel isn't perfect. Gus Bradley and Dan Quinn are stinking up the joint defensively. Like, shameful defenses. I would honestly be extremely worried, disappointed, and frustrated if we hired Michael Barrow to come attempt to install the Kiffin 4-3 Under Cover 3 here.

A step back from sheer dominance, sure. I'm not a proponent of doing what they do at all. I think it's far too complex for the college game. They literally employ hybrid lines: half of it 2-gaps while the other half 1-gaps. Their DBackfield is made to look A LOT better through the complexity because Earl Thomas is a classic football player and Chancellor is a freak of nature.

Coach.. did you learn everything about coaching while you were a coach or did you learn some of the aspects of X's and O's while you were playing? You have to think he picked up something about coaching in his career... If he only repeats SOME of the things he have stubbled across in his more than 20 years of Line backing...he would be more qualified than MOST...

I honestly learned 99% of the stuff I currently know from coaching... not playing.

Most coaches just tell you what to do and where to be, they don't tell you why. That's why players don't learn the details of defense. They learn techniques and they learn basics but that's about it. Most players don't know crap, they just do what their coach is asking (or coaching) them to do.

That's why I'll take a guy that has coached 15 years but only played ball in college ...over a guy who's only coached 5 years but played 15 in the NFL. More learning is done when you're coaching.

That may be the case for you, but there are countless guys who get really into the Xs and Os while they play. It's just a matter of context. There are guys who didn't play at a high level and still have an incredible feel for schemes, techniques, etc. There are also guys I know who played at incredibly high levels and just "did a job." Lots of different situations.

I don't doubt that but I've met a lot less of those types. I don't recall Barrow's Homestead teams being very good.

Most of them lack physical superiority, lol. They make up for lack of top-end speed via anticipation. They make up for lack of size through instinct. Etc. I don't know enough about Barrow to say whether he was an Xs and Os freak. Either way, I don't even know enough about what kind of defense he'd run. I'm already on record as saying I don't think Seattle's defense would be optimal for the college level.

Let see. Barrow played at the U for 4 years, was then a LB in the NFL for 13 years, was then a high school coach, an LB coach with the Canes, LB NFL coach with the Seahawks for 1 year, during his Canes and NFL days, 18 years, dude was a MLB which for the most part plays behind the D Line, in front of DB's, dude called Defensive signals during his time, dude understands what everyone on the D is supposed to do or be doing, dude was a frigging leader and stud yet dude is not qualified to be a DC? Wow!! I guess that due to his experience level Dorito is better qualified than Michael to be a DC??... By the way, Michael was in Orlando during the recent FLA High School championship games at the same time Richt was there. Michael flew across country just to watch High School games in FL! What a coincidence ha!!

They take LB coaches and make them DCs all the time in the NFL, why isn't that good enough for Miami fans?
I would like to see a list. Please...

Kevin Coyle
Dean Pees
Paul Guenther
Greg Manusky
and more
The next step up for any NFL position coach is DC

Advertisement

They take LB coaches and make them DCs all the time in the NFL, why isn't that good enough for Miami fans?

Kevin Coyle
Dean Pees
Paul Guenther
Greg Manusky
and more

Ron riverea, pittsburgh dc, Ken norton in his first year in oakland. All of them were lb coaches that went on to be a dc.

Kevin Coyle
Dean Pees
Paul Guenther
Greg Manusky
and more

Ron riverea, pittsburgh dc, Ken norton in his first year in oakland. All of them were lb coaches that went on to be a dc.

ON POINT.

Everybody just needs to relax. DC's are not born, they are created. LB coaches promoted to DC coaches is part of the normal coaching progression. The problems with our fans are two fold, 1) They do not understand this coaching progression, 2) They are scared to death due to our recent DC coaching issues, and I can't say I blame them for that. Bottom line is that coach Richt will find "who he feels" will do the best DC job and this could be an experienced or inexperienced DC.

Kevin Coyle
Dean Pees
Paul Guenther
Greg Manusky
and more

ON POINT. Everybody just needs to relax. LB coaches being promoted to DCs is extremely common, and is part of the normal coaching progression. The problem with our fans are two fold, 1) They do not understand this progression and 2) They are scared to death of who our next DC is going to be, which is based on our historical and recent DC debacles. Bottom line is that Coach Richt will choose "who he feels" is the best DC coaching candidate, regardless of experience or inexperienced at that position. Coach Richt has also made some bad DC decisions in the past which I hope he has learned from.

Advertisement
I mean it's not like the MLB is the QB of the defense. And even if it were who on earth would think a QB coach could naturally progress to Offensive Coordinator.

I mean it's not like the MLB is the QB of the defense. And even if it were who on earth would think a QB coach could naturally progress to Offensive Coordinator.

Jedd Fisch did it. From NFL QB coach to our first Golden OC and he was pretty darn good.

So Mark Richt as CEO of this Company is gonna give the reigns of his most scrutinized division - the Defense - to a person who's never been in charge of a division before .....

Seems a little too risky especially given the state of where this program has been on Defense for the past 5 years...

JC

Advertisement
So Mark Richt as CEO of this Company is gonna give the reigns of his most scrutinized division - the Defense - to a person who's never been in charge of a division before .....

Seems a little too risky especially given the state of where this program has been on Defense for the past 5 years...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everybody just needs to relax. LB coaches being promoted to DCs is extremely common, and is part of the normal coaching progression. The problem with our fans are two fold, 1) They do not understand this progression and 2) They are scared to death of who our next DC is going to be, which is based on our historical and recent DC debacles. Bottom line is that Coach Richt will choose "who he feels" is the best DC coaching candidate, regardless of experience or inexperienced at that position. Coach Richt has also made some bad DC decisions in the past which I hope he has learned from.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everybody just needs to relax. LB coaches being promoted to DCs is extremely common, and is part of the normal coaching progression. The problem with our fans are two fold, 1) They do not understand this progression and 2) They are scared to death of who our next DC is going to be, which is based on our historical and recent DC debacles. Bottom line is that Coach Richt will choose "who he feels" is the best DC coaching candidate, regardless of experience or inexperienced at that position. Coach Richt has also made some bad DC decisions in the past which I hope he has learned from.

You know what else is a "natural progression"? A guy going from DC at one school to DC at a bigger program. Why is that natural? Because the bigger program doesn't want to experiment with an important position. Barrow can still do your version of "natural progression". He can go learn how to run the defense at Rutgers or Illinois. When he proves that he can do it, give us a call.

Oh my bad! I guess I forgot. I thought Richt was making the decisions for the team. I will consult with you going forward!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back