Miami's Tate Martell contemplating move to wide receiver

Advertisement
They played QB in college & switched to WR in the pros, I was talking about the last QB I could remember that made switch while IN COLLEGE.

And what exactly would catapult Tate ahead of every WR on the roster, what has he done that would move him so high up the depth chart at WR that would start ahead of 6 other natural WR's?
I can see him being used as a decoy and on trick plays bc he can throw.

WR

Martell I think had a 3.96
That's impressive especially considering he is a bigger kid. If he makes the move to WR I would not be surprised if they lined him up all over the field including RB, since he was essentially like a RB playing QB.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190816-230635_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190816-230635_Samsung Internet.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20190816-230827_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190816-230827_Samsung Internet.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 42
I didn't think he would be a WR, I just figured he would stick until he graduated then transfer to another team.

The last highly ranked QB that switched to WR in college I can think of is Jerrod Heard at Texas who was a high ranked 4-star with a 96.7 rating & the #2 Dual threat QB coming out of high school.

Where will he be placed on the Depth chart at WR? With KJ, JT4, Harley, Hightower, Pope, Wiggins, Payton & Njoku, is he competing with Few for reps?
David Sills too. They only talked about it every single time WVU played.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Berrios indeed had a 3.81

That was his sparq score (pre college). Looks like he ran a 4.18 at the combine (I thought it was 4.07)

As Brock said- running a sub 4.0 shuttle at 215-220 lbs is insane. In terms of overall Sparq score, no one touches Berrios, but Martell's score of 114 is better than Stacey Coley and Rashawn Scott's (Tates 20 yard shuttle is light years better and his vertical is better as well) The others have the edge in 40 time (Coley by a large margin). Long story short, he wont be a deep threat, but is explosive, has a freakish change of direction, and can make a living moving the chains (all this is assuming he has mitts, which admittedly we have no idea).

Last edited:
They played QB in college & switched to WR in the pros, I was talking about the last QB I could remember that made switch while IN COLLEGE.

And what exactly would catapult Tate ahead of every WR on the roster, what has he done that would move him so high up the depth chart at WR that would start ahead of 6 other natural WR's?
David Sills from West Virginia. Was a QB phenom just like Martell and switched to WR late in his career at WVU and balled out. Signed with the bills as an drafted free agent.

I haven't seen proof that any of the others down the depth chart are any good and he just started playing the position. You know there is no proof. There wasn't any proof about Jimmy Graham either at one point. I don't think he'll be getting reps against Florida but running a 4.7 with his other attributes means he has a shot. He already caught a couple balls in the scrimmage apparently. The question is which QB was throwing him the ball and what defenders he was facing. That would speak to how serious this actually is in the early stages.
Every WR on the team has caught passes in the scrimmages, so what does that mean?

Tate has only been a WR for a few hours & yall already have him starting ahead of 6 other WR's that have been here & played WR for most of their life lol

You guys are getting kinda insane with how bad yall wanna crown him, the same way yall did when yall swore he was going to start at QB...

All I'm saying is, maybe instead of immediately throwing away every other WR on the roster we let Tate actually prove it before you turn him into the next Braxton Berrios.

Advertisement
Think he can be a great QB in the right system. Rooting for the kid. Think he’d do great at UCLA. Regardless of what he does wish him all the luck.

Every WR on the team has caught passes in the scrimmages, so what does that mean?

Tate has only been a WR for a few hours & yall already have him starting ahead of 6 other WR's that have been here & played WR for most of their life lol

You guys are getting kinda insane with how bad yall wanna crown him, the same way yall did when yall swore he was going to start at QB...

All I'm saying is, maybe instead of immediately throwing away every other WR on the roster we let Tate actually prove it before you turn him into the next Braxton Berrios.

Maybe you need to re read what I wrote or respond to someone else. I didn't say he was better than 6 WRs. I said those 6 haven't proven anything that would suggest a kid who is actually more physically gifted testing wise than almost all of them couldn't make his way past them given some time and work at the position. Oh and once again. How many players are in front of him in the slot? Two? Three? It aint 6 WRs.

Advertisement

No one is saying that. Just pointing out that there are some elite measurables. His ability to throw the ball gives Enos some trick play options. Will he work his way into the rotation on a regular basis? Who knows. But kudos to the kid for not demanding an immediate transfer and looking for a way to contribute. That effort is what I like to see out of Canes. I hope it works out for him .

weird. if anything i would’ve expected him to just ride it out here, try to get some good tape, and then get his shot as a grad transfer somewhere. but maybe he figures he honestly has a better shot at the league at WR

Advertisement
Back