Miami's NFL Domination

Care to wager?
Ah, the internet bet proponent. great job playing the role.

I don't know you, don't do 'internet bets,' and have already explained that (a) hope he gets it; (b) think he merits it and (c) think it's far from clear he'll get it for reasons I actually communicated.

In response, you have provided no argument other than 'wanna bet.'

Welcome to the internet!

Advertisement
From news article at the time. I can find more proof if you like

"The ruling occurred on a fourth-and-7 play at the Notre Dame 11. Miami's Cleveland Gary caught a pass, fell at the 1 and lost control of the ball as he tried to hold it over the goal line. A Notre Dame player fell on the ball at the 3. ... The ruling was the ball went over on downs."

"In my mind, I believe we probably made a mistake in giving Notre Dame the football," the official told the News. "There was confusion as to whether there was a fumble or not, but there was also a great question about giving Notre Dame the football over on downs. That's why they got the football.

"There was no fumble. The ruling was the ball went over on downs. We were wrong in doing it, but the truth is we just had a very bad day."

The official, from the Collegiate Independent Football Officials Association, asked not to be identified because CIFOA policy dictates that officials not comment on calls they make.

The confusion is amplified by the fact that Notre Dame was given the ball at the 1, not the 3 where it recovered. That would indicate the officials believed Miami had been stopped on downs, when in fact they only had to get to the 4 for a first down.

What proof? I saw what I saw.
I'm with you all the way.

My comment was about the ref. Check him out right after the play.
He seemed all giddy and damp, pointing the other way like a little girl.

I kicked out my friends patio door screen after that play.

Ah, the internet bet proponent. great job playing the role.

I don't know you, don't do 'internet bets,' and have already explained that (a) hope he gets it; (b) think he merits it and (c) think it's far from clear he'll get it for reasons I actually communicated.

In response, you have provided no argument other than 'wanna bet.'

Welcome to the internet!
He anchored championship defenses for the greatest coach ever. I just was asking to bet bc it's a 100% guarantee he's in. Welcome to the internet!

Advertisement
So what odds are you offering for this 100% certainty you guarantee?
Hows this, if he doesn’t make it i’ll paypal/venmo you enough money to take your women for a nice dinner. If he does then we both win & I get nothing. Win win for you.

I find myself rewatching that game a lot, trying to wrap & justify wtf the refs saw. Then after watch ND v. Clemson when they called a catch on a crucial down, when the ball clearly hit the ground, I realized that there is no justification for that **** poor of a call on CG’s blown TD. That’s what refs in South Bend do.
In my opinion and until this day, the worst part about that play was not only was it not a fumble, but it should've been at minimum 1st and goal. The ref's quickly and intentionally made a bad call which is why they spotted the ball so quick for notre shame. And people keep thinking I'm joking about the double agents that have infiltrated this program, once they get troll shalala in place, they had achieved their ultimate assignment piece, that troll made sure to castrate the football program, remember who the troll tried to bring in as the a.d., old barry alvarez, as soon as I heard that I said ***** no, alot of these new UM fans wanted him here, cause they think and associate him with Wisconsin, but the real UM fans know that **** was the d-co at notre shame, no way did he belong down here. So since they could get him in, they finally brought the penn disgrace morons on the scene. And the dumb *** minion a.d. that troll shalala left to do her dirty work, sat backed watched, defended and made excuse after excuse for those morons until that **** couldn't make no more, and had to make a move, but can't continued to preside over the worst defenses in UM history, and said nothing for basically 5 football years, in comes coach richt, instantly puts the program back on the map in really just 2 short years, and in year 3 the moron a.d. somehow feels a need to try and act like he finally grew some balls and thought he was gone be able to impose a suggestion to coach richt, which is why coach richt told that coward to ***** off.

Coach diaz has a strong chance to keep what coach richt did on track or even exceed it, but like coach richt was in the process of doing, coach diaz is still in the same boat, qb's have to be developed, he found a band-aid this year in King, who has earned respect now that he got games under his belt, although his performance again clemson was trash as well. If we had a chance to run it back though, would be real good to see what happens this time.

Ok, I’m backing off the ledge. For now. But not sold on this staff. They making me optimistic though. Beat UNC and I’ll grab a little kool aid
Why would you be sold on a staff that's 8-1 and bringing in a top 10 class next year. That sounds like a **** show to me.

The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

Advertisement
Hows this, if he doesn’t make it i’ll paypal/venmo you enough money to take your women for a nice dinner. If he does then we both win & I get nothing. Win win for you.
What a stereotypical response. You sound like an internet clown. If you want to jerk yourself off, do it privately.

What a stereotypical response. You sound like an internet clown. If you want to jerk yourself off, do it privately.
What are you talking about dude? I'm being genuinely nice to you while rooting for our guy to make the hall of fame? Seek help.

Why would you be sold on a staff that's 8-1 and bringing in a top 10 class next year. That sounds like a **** show to me.

The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE
I guess I learned from a few of the more recent coaching staffs we’ve had. Richt was 10-0 at one point I recall. Golden beat Florida. Coker , well that didn’t turn out as good as it started if I remember correctly. Shannon had a number one recruiting class, all the above stunk it up. Manny hasn’t assembled much of a staff IMO, a bartender may be the best one on that side of the ball. 2 years 2 different offensive groups almost totally. Not taking the cheese this time

What are you talking about dude? I'm being genuinely nice to you while rooting for our guy to make the hall of fame? Seek help.
Offering to wager over the internet followed up by 'hey man I'll just pay you to take your girl to dinner' is stereotypical meme behavior. If you think it's just trying to be nice, okay. Except you don't know me or 'my girl' so not sure why you'd send money for someone else to have dinner. Imagine I had responded to you that I don't need to wager but if he makes the HOF, I'll send you enough money to buy yourself a fleshlight. Same sort of response.

In any case, there really isn't a guy in the HOF at DT who is a good comp for Wilfork. Maybe Dan Hampton. He made 6 all pros, and it took a while for him to get admitted, but eventually with hindsight he was understood as a key anchor on maybe the best defense ever. Big Vince has 4 all pro seasons (1 first team, 3 second team). Jessie Armstead had as many all pro seasons (one more iirc), and a superbowl. Folks don't talk about him in HOF context at all. If Vince makes it, imo it'll be on the Hampton model. But the difference in part is that those bears teams were about that defense. The pats were about Tom Brady. Just not sure 1x first team all pro is enough to get there. The pats won multiple SBs without him, also, which undermines his argument relative to a Hampton.

Advertisement
Offering to wager over the internet followed up by 'hey man I'll just pay you to take your girl to dinner' is stereotypical meme behavior. If you think it's just trying to be nice, okay. Except you don't know me or 'my girl' so not sure why you'd send money for someone else to have dinner. Imagine I had responded to you that I don't need to wager but if he makes the HOF, I'll send you enough money to buy yourself a fleshlight. Same sort of response.

In any case, there really isn't a guy in the HOF at DT who is a good comp for Wilfork. Maybe Dan Hampton. He made 6 all pros, and it took a while for him to get admitted, but eventually with hindsight he was understood as a key anchor on maybe the best defense ever. Big Vince has 4 all pro seasons (1 first team, 3 second team). Jessie Armstead had as many all pro seasons (one more iirc), and a superbowl. Folks don't talk about him in HOF context at all. If Vince makes it, imo it'll be on the Hampton model. But the difference in part is that those bears teams were about that defense. The pats were about Tom Brady. Just not sure 1x first team all pro is enough to get there. The pats won multiple SBs without him, also, which undermines his argument relative to a Hampton.
Yeah man I'm not really sure how you read it like that but what I meant was for you to buy you & your girl dinner. Was nothing more then that. Hopefully Vince makes it. This convo is done though on my end though. Have a good one!

I hope he makes it too. And no offense at the exchange. But what would be more interesting for the purposes of the discussion than talking about money for dinner is to make the case for why he merits it. How does he compare to other guys in the HOF at that position. What will the voters have to go on?

They were a blue blood my friend. Crazy how far they’ve fallen. Pretty much a has been never will be again but they at one time and for the longest time we’re the kings of Pennsylvania and northeast football. After Marino left and they torn down the on campus stadium to play where the stealers play it all headed down hill for some reason that most old school Pitt fans still can’t understand why. Weird how college football works. Seems like Nebraska is on that very same trajectory.

Are we too? Eerily similar
Recruiting is the LIFEBLOOD of a college football program. UM is smack dab in the most fertile football recruiting grounds in the country. As long as we have a competent coaching staff we'll never fall off.

Pitt fell off due to the high school football talent in Western PA declining for some reason, and Penn State started rolling in wins & started winning the in-state recruiting battles.

**** a desert, Nebraska is in a recruiting tundra. Nebraska got their start throwing bags around Southern California & Texas and were the first school to hop on the steroid wave. They left the Big 12 so the Texas recruiting pipeline dried up, everyone is dropping bags in LA now & everyone is on roids now.

Advertisement
I guess I learned from a few of the more recent coaching staffs we’ve had. Richt was 10-0 at one point I recall. Golden beat Florida. Coker , well that didn’t turn out as good as it started if I remember correctly. Shannon had a number one recruiting class, all the above stunk it up. Manny hasn’t assembled much of a staff IMO, a bartender may be the best one on that side of the ball. 2 years 2 different offensive groups almost totally. Not taking the cheese this time
Uhhh Manny is in year 2. At least lets see what he does next year with most of his players. Are we perfect? **** no. But we are on track finally IMO. I would like a new D coordinator for Christmas though. :)

Advertisement
Back