Miami Will Have A Top 10 Defense In 2015

Advertisement
Helluva post OP.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to notice that we were finally able to enjoy a vintage (top 15 in the country) Miami defense last year. I'm in complete agreement that 2015 should be even better.

How you enjoy a top 15 defense going 6-7?

Apparently I did a ****ty job of mocking the OP. My bad.

No. My humor was out of position and didn't stay where it was. That falls on me.
Keep working your tail off

Numbers are funny, you can do lots of things with them. You might be right, Miami might have "a top 10" defense statistically, somehow, some way, this year. Problem is, Golden/D'No's defenses don't pass the eye (or the smell) test. Everyone that has followed Miami football for longer than 10 years has seen what a top 10 defense looks like, and how they perform. They dominate on the football field. Teams fear them. They don't even need an offense on their side. They win games by stoning the opposition, forcing turnovers, scoring points, and wreaking havoc on the field. I haven't seen much of that from a Miami defense under Golden and D'No, it's been closer to the polar opposite. So play with the numbers all you want, I don't see it. It's a paper tiger.

I dont know about a top 10 defense. But this defense will be scary good and much improved from last years. Its the oline that scares me they most.

So last year's defense that finished 14th will be "scary good" and "much improved" but won't move into the top 10? It's so "scary good" that best case scenario it improves by three spots? How does that work?

Okay then, Top 10 its is.

While watching the games last year did you see a top D?

Honestly no, not in the aspect in which i expect. I expect a hard hitting attacking defense that offenses are get intimidated by. Everyone knows they run a softer defense(bend dont break). But they were better on paper, which is what really should matter. Im excited to see our Dline, it will be one of the most explosively talented groups miamis had in a long time. I hope the coaches get them to over achieve this year.
Our defensive ranking on paper matters more than our actual defensive play on the field?

Numbers are funny, you can do lots of things with them. You might be right, Miami might have "a top 10" defense statistically, somehow, some way, this year. Problem is, Golden/D'No's defenses don't pass the eye (or the smell) test. Everyone that has followed Miami football for longer than 10 years has seen what a top 10 defense looks like, and how they perform. They dominate on the football field. Teams fear them. They don't even need an offense on their side. They win games by stoning the opposition, forcing turnovers, scoring points, and wreaking havoc on the field. I haven't seen much of that from a Miami defense under Golden and D'No, it's been closer to the polar opposite. So play with the numbers all you want, I don't see it. It's a paper tiger.

This. Although the defense not passing the eye test does show up in stats. Take a look:

tied 41st in turnovers created
102nd in tackles for loss
68th in sacks
60th in red zone defense
63rd in 3rd down defense

Good defenses don't have stats like that.

Advertisement

This. Although the defense not passing the eye test does show up in stats. Take a look:

68th in sacks
60th in red zone defense
63rd in 3rd down defense

Clearly you're not listening when Al Golden says those numbers don't matter. Don't come in here with facts and try to criticize one of the greats coaching the game today. Grow up.

The DL should be outta sight

DE:

Thomas
AQM
Harris
Hamilton
Jackson
Patchan
McIntosh
Willis

DT:

Kamalu
Heurtelou
Wyche
Jenkins
Moten
Moore
Fines
Norton

The DL should be outta sight

DE:

Thomas
AQM
Harris
Hamilton
Jackson
Patchan
McIntosh
Willis

DT:

Kamalu
Heurtelou
Wyche
Jenkins
Moten
Moore
Fines
Norton

There is talent. It's all about scheme, the same as its always been. If we stop try to fit a square peg in a round hole and allow these guys to attack the line of scrimmage we could be pretty good.

This sums it up PERFECTLY. Was the defense better last year than the previous two? Yes. Was it a top 15 D? Not a snowball's chance in ****. When you have athletes like we have, you let them attack and force the issue. I understand when you're playing a lot of freshmen on D that you want to keep them from giving up the big play, over and over. I get that. It makes sense when you don't have as much talent as the other team to play D like that. That is NOT the problem here now. We have the talent to go out there and force the issue. We can get tackles for loss, sacks, force turnovers. Do that and we win more games. We might give up a big play now and then, but I'll take that over not forcing turnovers, sacks, and tackles for loss in order to be safe. We win when teams fear our D, period. We will never, ever win when teams know they can simply small ball us and move the ball by taking WHAT WE GIVE THEM. We should not give a **** thing, and if they earn a big play, so be it.

68th in sacks
60th in red zone defense
63rd in 3rd down defense

Advertisement

68th in sacks
60th in red zone defense
63rd in 3rd down defense

OP can you explain these stats, please? And perhaps maybe could you compare these exact stats to a team like Bama, OSU, FSU, etc.?

68th in sacks
60th in red zone defense
63rd in 3rd down defense

OP can you explain these stats, please? And perhaps maybe could you compare these exact stats to a team like Bama, OSU, FSU, etc.?[/QUOTE

Don't let Golden see this, he would say. It's all about points.

That's the thing... If we had a defense that goes out and make plays, we don't have to play timid on offence either. We should attack on both sides of the ball and beat teams with our talent advantage. Outside of FSU and Clemson, we have a talent advantage. Even those two aren't light years ahead of us. Our O can strike quickly, then let our D tee off.

This is Golden's last chance to get it right, and he has to know this. No more playing teams like Virginia like they have more talent than us. Sick of it.
So Al's gonna have Kaaya snap with 1 second on the play clock the whole game then?

Advertisement
Advertisement
This sums it up PERFECTLY. Was the defense better last year than the previous two? Yes. Was it a top 15 D? Not a snowball's chance in ****. When you have athletes like we have, you let them attack and force the issue. I understand when you're playing a lot of freshmen on D that you want to keep them from giving up the big play, over and over. I get that. It makes sense when you don't have as much talent as the other team to play D like that. That is NOT the problem here now. We have the talent to go out there and force the issue. We can get tackles for loss, sacks, force turnovers. Do that and we win more games. We might give up a big play now and then, but I'll take that over not forcing turnovers, sacks, and tackles for loss in order to be safe. We win when teams fear our D, period. We will never, ever win when teams know they can simply small ball us and move the ball by taking WHAT WE GIVE THEM. We should not give a **** thing, and if they earn a big play, so be it.

68th in sacks
60th in red zone defense
63rd in 3rd down defense

Problem is we have not been as talent deficient as this coaching staff and their supporters would have us believe. I would be willing to say we have had more talent than 80% of the teams we have played since Golden has been here. FSU is the only team we played last year with more talent imo, and even that is questionable. At most, 2-3 teams on any given year since Golden has been here have had more talent than we have.

We were pretty pathetic talent wise in 2012, but that was 3 years ago. We need to stop playing like we are still in 2012. NOW we have a very, very talented D, and we need to play like it. Our D-line and secondary especially. Let them go make plays, not play scared. I'm sick of our D playing every team like they are on our level talent wise, or better.

68th in sacks
60th in red zone defense
63rd in 3rd down defense

Problem is we have not been as talent deficient as this coaching staff and their supporters would have us believe. I would be willing to say we have had more talent than 80% of the teams we have played since Golden has been here. FSU is the only team we played last year with more talent imo, and even that is questionable. At most, 2-3 teams on any given year since Golden has been here have had more talent than we have.

Advertisement
Back