Miami vs. USC.

Not referring to his real name..this is his handle (user name)..I don't know his real name...no personal information whatsoever re: his name

Advertisement
We have a lot of posters on here who do and say all kinds of things. Disclosing someone’s actual name & personal information is not remotely tolerable.
Sorry to jump in RVA.
I know why it's necessary, but you're job here would be a whole lot easier if names and personal info we're in the bio's.

Almost seriously — because I don’t know if I can ever be totally seriously— we have a very occasional poster on this board who played on that ‘68 team. I won’t reveal who he is, nor do I want to encourage him to post since he apparently prefers not to most of the time.

I did mention in other posts how OJ responded to an audience question on a network variety show in ‘68 by saying that the best player he faced was Hendricks. In fact I remember his response well—he said the best player was “a guy by the name of Ted Hendricks at the University of Miami...who would never stay blocked.”

The question posed to OJ was who was the hardest hitter he faced to witch OJ responded Kevin Hardy of Norte Dame. OJ himself turned the question to the player he considered the best and he identified Ted.

He probably prefaced it “a guy by the name of...” because he knew Hendricks was not widely known (or appreciated) nationally; the same applied to UM. We always tried to play a national schedule of good teams in those years but we were still a somewhat obscure team down at the tip of South Florida with no big following and no major media market. We also devoted less in money and resources to sports compared to the national competition we played. I think we often had fewer players on scholarship and we were often at a huge disadvantage.

so, it was difficult to compete with the big national powers who often had most of the elite powers. Still we produced two players who were finalists or close to finalists for the Heisman: George Mira and Ted Hendricks. Those 1960’s teams produced some outstanding pros: Hendricks, Bill Miller, Dan Connors, Tony Cline. But there were not that many. Some of our most coveted recruits never had great careers, including Vince Opalsky and Bobby Best. There were others. I don’t know why. Maybe we didn’t have the infrastructure—I recall hearing and reading over the years that we were at a disadvantage by not having a training table—a common feature of most other big programs.

Another problem was the fact our home population base had some good high school football but it was probably not deep enough. (We actually recruited more out of state than in Florida during those years.)

Hope you don’t mind this detour into UM football history. As far as playing USC now? I would advise against it until we correct the very deep problems we’ve seen in the program in recent years. Our multiple collapses against teams we should beat (FIU) or against teams we should at least play tough (UNC) means we would travel 3000 miles to embarrass ourselves on national TV.

Let’s hope Manny fixes things, but I still feel Manny himself is a big part of the problem. I remember his collapse in a game while a DC at Texas. His vertical up-the-field philosophy might be exploitable by shrewd OC’s despite the fact that I’ve been a supporter of the attacking defense since JJ introduced it to us in the mid-80’s. I just can’t see a JJ defense or a Sonny Lubick defense collapsing in a game like our collapse against UNC.

Despite all the very smart changes he has made in the program, especially with coaching changes, he has to prove that he can put it all together.
Ted Hendricks was also largely responsible for the 21-16 defeat of UF in 1966 that gave Spurrier a loss for his last home game as QB.

Not referring to his real name..this is his handle (user name)..I don't know his real name...no personal information whatsoever re: his name
His handle and what you said are not the same. You disclosed his name.

You usually attack him out of the blue here under your various screen names because of some kind of battle you had with him on the other site, so you just get banned.

That needs to stay on the other site.

Advertisement
His handle and what you said are not the same. You disclosed his name.

You usually attack him out of the blue here under your various screen names because of some kind of battle you had with him on the other site, so you just get banned.

That needs to stay on the other site.
Not following, I didn't disclose his "name" as in birth name...yea OK fair enough on keeping our battle on the other site lol...got it.

Almost seriously — because I don’t know if I can ever be totally seriously— we have a very occasional poster on this board who played on that ‘68 team. I won’t reveal who he is, nor do I want to encourage him to post since he apparently prefers not to most of the time.

I did mention in other posts how OJ responded to an audience question on a network variety show in ‘68 by saying that the best player he faced was Hendricks. In fact I remember his response well—he said the best player was “a guy by the name of Ted Hendricks at the University of Miami...who would never stay blocked.”

The question posed to OJ was who was the hardest hitter he faced to witch OJ responded Kevin Hardy of Norte Dame. OJ himself turned the question to the player he considered the best and he identified Ted.

He probably prefaced it “a guy by the name of...” because he knew Hendricks was not widely known (or appreciated) nationally; the same applied to UM. We always tried to play a national schedule of good teams in those years but we were still a somewhat obscure team down at the tip of South Florida with no big following and no major media market. We also devoted less in money and resources to sports compared to the national competition we played. I think we often had fewer players on scholarship and we were often at a huge disadvantage.

so, it was difficult to compete with the big national powers who often had most of the elite powers. Still we produced two players who were finalists or close to finalists for the Heisman: George Mira and Ted Hendricks. Those 1960’s teams produced some outstanding pros: Hendricks, Bill Miller, Dan Connors, Tony Cline. But there were not that many. Some of our most coveted recruits never had great careers, including Vince Opalsky and Bobby Best. There were others. I don’t know why. Maybe we didn’t have the infrastructure—I recall hearing and reading over the years that we were at a disadvantage by not having a training table—a common feature of most other big programs.

Another problem was the fact our home population base had some good high school football but it was probably not deep enough. (We actually recruited more out of state than in Florida during those years.)

Hope you don’t mind this detour into UM football history. As far as playing USC now? I would advise against it until we correct the very deep problems we’ve seen in the program in recent years. Our multiple collapses against teams we should beat (FIU) or against teams we should at least play tough (UNC) means we would travel 3000 miles to embarrass ourselves on national TV.

Let’s hope Manny fixes things, but I still feel Manny himself is a big part of the problem. I remember his collapse in a game while a DC at Texas. His vertical up-the-field philosophy might be exploitable by shrewd OC’s despite the fact that I’ve been a supporter of the attacking defense since JJ introduced it to us in the mid-80’s. I just can’t see a JJ defense or a Sonny Lubick defense collapsing in a game like our collapse against UNC.

Despite all the very smart changes he has made in the program, especially with coaching changes, he has to prove that he can put it all together.
I for one appreciate these trips down memory lane Matador! I became a fan in the mid 80's, obviously during UM's rise to power. But hearing some of these older tidbits and stories from earlier times is great!!

Not following? People are mostly anonymous on here.
Not following what?

My point was if they weren't anonymous, there'd be a different tone to the posts around here.
Hence, your yeoman's work load as the hatchet-man would be greatly reduced.

Advertisement
Not following what?

My point was if they weren't anonymous, there'd be a different tone to the posts around here.
Hence, your yeoman's work load as the hatchet-man would be greatly reduced.
Oh... yeah, I’m sure it would be different with many.

I for one appreciate these trips down memory lane Matador! I became a fan in the mid 80's, obviously during UM's rise to power. But hearing some of these older tidbits and stories from earlier times is great!!
Thank you!

Would be fun to see but doubt it's likely to happen.

Beyond the ACC schedule we've got periodic games against ND, UF, have scheduled OSU, Oklahoma, Alabama, LSU, Nebraska, and going back to the '00s, had TN, A&M, Houston.

We don't have a lot of openings because ND is a regular cycle game. If we ever get back on track, we'll want a major game against SEC and/or Ohio State as a validator for playoff consideration. Sounds painful to discuss now I realize.

The benefit of USC is they don't recruit Miami really so losing to them isn't risky the way losing at home to a SEC team is. But we can't think that way. Our recruiting battles are SEC, we gotta hold some spots to beat SEC teams. I wouldn't mind A&M, tbh, because we can and should recruit TX better than we have.
I think Carroll might have tried to recruit that LB/DE whonplayed for us about 10-15 years ago: Marcus Robinson? Does anybody remember? Then he got that starting LB from maybe Orlando—was his name Rivers?I really don’t remember that well—I think Carroll made a few forays into Florida but not much. They’ve got so many kids out there plus they can recruit nationally—they got that RB Joe McKnight from Louisiana, I think. Trying to do this all from memory.

Advertisement
I think Carroll might have tried to recruit that LB/DE whonplayed for us about 10-15 years ago: Marcus Robinson? Does anybody remember? Then he got that starting LB from maybe Orlando—was his name Rivers?I really don’t remember that well—I think Carroll made a few forays into Florida but not much. They’ve got so many kids out there plus they can recruit nationally—they got that RB Joe McKnight from Louisiana, I think. Trying to do this all from memory.
Yea it was Keith Rivers from Lake Mary HS that SC pulled from the Orlando area. They occasionally come into FL for guys like that and Nelson Agolor or Pie Young but as you mentioned not really a need for them due to their own proximity to West Coast talent.

Advertisement
Yea it was Keith Rivers from Lake Mary HS that SC pulled from the Orlando area. They occasionally come into FL for guys like that and Nelson Agolor or Pie Young but as you mentioned not really a need for them due to their own proximity to West Coast talent.
And yes it was Marcus Robinson. One of our WRs transferred out ther and came back pretty quick.

Advertisement
Back