Miami vs Temple 2020 Preview

motorcitycane

Senior
Temple Preview:

Let’s take a closer look at the highly anticipated season opener between The Temple Owls and the Miami Hurricanes.

Starting with the Head man replacing coach Manny Diaz is coach Rod Carey. A career journeyman OL coach until getting the NIU HC job in 2012.

He led the NIU to 4 Western Division Titles and Won The MAC 2 twice.

He took over the program Dave Doeren built, and continued the success for a few years at NIU. After winning with Doerens recruits and culture, Carey swiftly led the Huskies to mediocrity.

He’s 0-7 in bowl games.

After replacing coach Manny Díaz in 2019 he quickly resumed mediocre traditions and led the Temple Owls to a 8-5 season.

Let’s take a look at his team for 2020.

Key Departures

2020 NFL Draft:

OL Matt Hennessy, CB Harrison Hand, LB Shaun Bradley, LB Chapelle Russell

Graduation:
RB Jager Gardner (633 yards in 2019) WR Isaiah Wright (#3 WR), TE Kenny Yeboah, S Benny Walls, S Ayron Monroe, DL Dana Moline, G Jovahn Fair (started 43 games)

Transfers: Quincy Roche to Miami

Offensive Starters:

QB: Anthony Russo (6-4, 235)
A 3rd year senior starter. Anthony Russo has completed 58% of his passes for his career and has been a top 10 leader in interceptions thrown nationally in both seasons starting. He has a big arm, can drop some excellent ball placement at times, Temple Fans consider him to be a similar talent to Jordan Love. NFL scouts like his size and arm but his decision making has to improve greatly this year if he wants to even get drafted.

I want to see Miami disguise some looks on defense for 2-3 picks on the day. He doesn’t complete a high percentage of his passes. Can Miami DBs finally turn their heads around and get some picks of this guy?

RB: Re’mahn Davis (5
The freshman sensation. Put up 1,117 all purpose yards in 2020. Gotta contain this kid. He’s 5’9 210 and runs a 4.69 40. Real threat to take it all the way on anyplay. Miami LBs have to maintain gap integrity on such a dynamic young man with the 4.69 40.

They don’t have anything behind him so he needs to stay healthy.

WR:
SR Jadan Blue, (6-0,180)
Clocked at a 4.38 40 time Jadan is a flyer. He’s on NFL radars. People from Temple think he’s a 1st round pick in the mold of Jalen Reagor. Miami’s #1 corner gets a nice test to start the season and build some draft stock. He had 1067 yards for the owls with 4 TD in 2019.

SR Branden Mack (6-5, 220lbs 4.5 40)
Jadan Blue stole all the shine. But Branden Mack if healthy likely finishes in the top 3 with at an outside chance to finish as the number 1 WR in Temple history. He had 900 yards with 7TDS. Also led the team in YPC.

Temple OL:
Temple returns a experienced OL in LT Isaac Moore (6-7, 305), LG JD Gomez (6-6, 300 from Miami so he will be motivated to play against the canes), RG Joseph Hooper (6-3, 295) and RT Adam Klein. (6-5, 295) They also had a starter go down with a season ending injury in 5th year C/G, Vincent Picozzi. He’s back.

They Lost C Matt Hennessy to the NFL draft. He’s being replaced with RS SO Griffin Sestili (6-3, 295)

Losing two All Conference Players in the middle of the line is a tough go. They do return their Tackles though.

Temple OL sacks allowed in 2019
Bucknell 0
Maryland 1
Buffalo 3
GT 1
ECU 2 (both By Kendall Futrell who had 11 sacks)
Memphis 0
SMU 3 (2 by Pat Nelson who had 12.5 sacks)
UCF 4
USF 3
Tulane 0
Cincy 1
UConn 0
UNC 3

If Miami’s defense performs as advertised we should have 4 sacks in this game.

Defensive
Temple runs a 4-3 but is multiple like most teams in era.

Starters:

DL:
SR DT Ifeanyi Maijeh (6-2, 285) this kid was first team All AAC and is on NFL radars.

He teams up with SR Dan Archibong. To form a solid interior line duo.

They lost a lot of depth at DE. I’m expecting them to be very weak there but solid on the interior.

LB: All three starting linebackers are gone. Two got drafted one is on UDFA to the Panthers. So this should be an area for Miami to exploit. Matchups.

They do have two experienced 5th year seniors coming back in Isaiah Graham-Mobley (6-2,225) and William Kwenku.

DB: Losing Harrison Hand, Ayron Monroe, Benny Walls is going to sting.

S: Amir Tyler (6-0,195)
They bring back SR Safety Amir Tyler who is the most experienced defensive player on the roster. Had 7 pass deflections.

CB: Christian Braswell (5-10, 178)
This guy is the most experienced corner. Had 9 pass deflections in 2019. https://youtu.be/Cf01CKk6kYk

CB: Graduate Linwood Crump brings experience to the secondary.

Guys gotta be alert with players who get their hands on the ball a lot like the two main DBs returning.

Those deflections can become INTs and change the game.

Overall Thoughts: I think we are going to smoke the Temple defense. With virtually 0 proven players in the back 7 or at defense end I think it will be a long night for the Owls.

We can probably put up 40+

30. If their interior DL is as disruptive as advertised.

I think they’ve lost far too much to actually compete with Miami. Their lack of D ends (to transfers and graduation) provides the perfect opportunity for Miami’s OTs to get settled and even experiment with guys in the position battle during fall.Extremely weak group at DE.

NFL Matchups and Matchups to watch.
NFL scouts care about matchups. If any of our interior OL want to get drafted in their careers. seeing how they handle the NFL talent of the Star DT Maijeh is a good start.

For our DBs. Jaden Blue is going to have an opportunity to get drafted. Temple fans think he’s a first round caliber talent. But mock drafts are showing in the 2-3 round range.

Containing the size of Branden Mack and speed of Blue will be key IMO. His size created problems for Temple Opponents in 2019. Good opportunity for one of our DBs to step up against what’s likely to be the best WR in Temple history. I consider blue and Mack to be like 1A and 1B receivers not really 1-2.

I like a score of 45-20. Miami. We might get beat on a redzone fade to the big guy. And we saw what happened throughout last year against speedy WRs when we played UNC, Louisville, Florida, we don’t have the speed at CB Right now to win a foot race against this guy. I can see Blue breaking a 50+ yard touchdown with his 4.38 speed.

I don’t see the RB doing much this game. However if Miami LBs fail to maintain gap discipline the kid is good enough to gash us.

They have a ton of depth on the OL. But lost two 1st team All AAC interior OL. (The C and G) Good opportunity for Miami DTs to exploit that and prove they can be disruptive.

I expect our DEs to eat. But they have two solid tackles. Might temper my expectations there for game one. Beating up on their OTs would leave me very excited for the rest of the season.

I don’t think their defense is going to stop a **** thing. I’m expecting to score on most offensive possessions. These guys are going to be baaaaaad on D.

45-20 Let’s go Canes!

Score also factors us being rusty with quarantine and breaking in some new starters at LB.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Generally agree. If Lashlee/King duo is as good as advertised we win by comfortable margin, but Temple definitely isn't a pushover and will make some plays against us. Probably comparable to Toledo when we played them 2017 & 18.

I did forget special teams. Blue and his speed is at KR and PR.

they did kick at a 73% FG clip. Not the greatest not the worst.

They are middle of the pack overall in ST.

Advertisement
Temple Preview:

Let’s take a closer look at the highly anticipated season opener between The Temple Owls and the Miami Hurricanes.

Starting with the Head man replacing coach Manny Diaz is coach Rod Carey. A career journeyman OL coach until getting the NIU HC job in 2012.

He led the NIU to 4 Western Division Titles and Won The MAC 2 twice.

He took over the program Dave Doeren built, and continued the success for a few years at NIU. After winning with Doerens recruits and culture, Carey swiftly led the Huskies to mediocrity.

He’s 0-7 in bowl games.

After replacing coach Manny Díaz in 2019 he quickly resumed mediocre traditions and led the Temple Owls to a 8-5 season.

Let’s take a look at his team for 2020.

Key Departures

2020 NFL Draft:

OL Matt Hennessy, CB Harrison Hand, LB Shaun Bradley, LB Chapelle Russell

Graduation:
RB Jager Gardner (633 yards in 2019) WR Isaiah Wright (#3 WR), TE Kenny Yeboah, S Benny Walls, S Ayron Monroe, DL Dana Moline, G Jovahn Fair (started 43 games)

Transfers: Quincy Roche to Miami

Offensive Starters:

QB: Anthony Russo (6-4, 235)
A 3rd year senior starter. Anthony Russo has completed 58% of his passes for his career and has been a top 10 leader in interceptions thrown nationally in both seasons starting. He has a big arm, can drop some excellent ball placement at times, Temple Fans consider him to be a similar talent to Jordan Love. NFL scouts like his size and arm but his decision making has to improve greatly this year if he wants to even get drafted.

I want to see Miami disguise some looks on defense for 2-3 picks on the day. He doesn’t complete a high percentage of his passes. Can Miami DBs finally turn their heads around and get some picks of this guy?

RB: Re’mahn Davis (5
The freshman sensation. Put up 1,117 all purpose yards in 2020. Gotta contain this kid. He’s 5’9 210 and runs a 4.69 40. Real threat to take it all the way on anyplay. Miami LBs have to maintain gap integrity on such a dynamic young man with the 4.69 40.

They don’t have anything behind him so he needs to stay healthy.

WR:
SR Jadan Blue, (6-0,180)
Clocked at a 4.38 40 time Jadan is a flyer. He’s on NFL radars. People from Temple think he’s a 1st round pick in the mold of Jalen Reagor. Miami’s #1 corner gets a nice test to start the season and build some draft stock. He had 1067 yards for the owls with 4 TD in 2019.

SR Branden Mack (6-5, 220lbs 4.5 40)
Jadan Blue stole all the shine. But Branden Mack if healthy likely finishes in the top 3 with at an outside chance to finish as the number 1 WR in Temple history. He had 900 yards with 7TDS. Also led the team in YPC.

Temple OL:
Temple returns a experienced OL in LT Isaac Moore (6-7, 305), LG JD Gomez (6-6, 300 from Miami so he will be motivated to play against the canes), RG Joseph Hooper (6-3, 295) and RT Adam Klein. (6-5, 295) They also had a starter go down with a season ending injury in 5th year C/G, Vincent Picozzi. He’s back.

They Lost C Matt Hennessy to the NFL draft. He’s being replaced with RS SO Griffin Sestili (6-3, 295)

Losing two All Conference Players in the middle of the line is a tough go. They do return their Tackles though.

Temple OL sacks allowed in 2019
Bucknell 0
Maryland 1
Buffalo 3
GT 1
ECU 2 (both By Kendall Futrell who had 11 sacks)
Memphis 0
SMU 3 (2 by Pat Nelson who had 12.5 sacks)
UCF 4
USF 3
Tulane 0
Cincy 1
UConn 0
UNC 3

If Miami’s defense performs as advertised we should have 4 sacks in this game.

Defensive
Temple runs a 4-3 but is multiple like most teams in era.

Starters:

DL:
SR DT Ifeanyi Maijeh (6-2, 285) this kid was first team All AAC and is on NFL radars.

He teams up with SR Dan Archibong. To form a solid interior line duo.

They lost a lot of depth at DE. I’m expecting them to be very weak there but solid on the interior.

LB: All three starting linebackers are gone. Two got drafted one is on UDFA to the Panthers. So this should be an area for Miami to exploit. Matchups.

They do have two experienced 5th year seniors coming back in Isaiah Graham-Mobley (6-2,225) and William Kwenku.

DB: Losing Harrison Hand, Ayron Monroe, Benny Walls is going to sting.

S: Amir Tyler (6-0,195)
They bring back SR Safety Amir Tyler who is the most experienced defensive player on the roster. Had 7 pass deflections.

CB: Christian Braswell (5-10, 178)
This guy is the most experienced corner. Had 9 pass deflections in 2019. https://youtu.be/Cf01CKk6kYk

CB: Graduate Linwood Crump brings experience to the secondary.

Guys gotta be alert with players who get their hands on the ball a lot like the two main DBs returning.

Those deflections can become INTs and change the game.

Overall Thoughts: I think we are going to smoke the Temple defense. With virtually 0 proven players in the back 7 or at defense end I think it will be a long night for the Owls.

We can probably put up 40+

30. If their interior DL is as disruptive as advertised.

I think they’ve lost far too much to actually compete with Miami. Their lack of D ends (to transfers and graduation) provides the perfect opportunity for Miami’s OTs to get settled and even experiment with guys in the position battle during fall.Extremely weak group at DE.

NFL Matchups and Matchups to watch.
NFL scouts care about matchups. If any of our interior OL want to get drafted in their careers. seeing how they handle the NFL talent of the Star DT Maijeh is a good start.

For our DBs. Jaden Blue is going to have an opportunity to get drafted. Temple fans think he’s a first round caliber talent. But mock drafts are showing in the 2-3 round range.

Containing the size of Branden Mack and speed of Blue will be key IMO. His size created problems for Temple Opponents in 2019. Good opportunity for one of our DBs to step up against what’s likely to be the best WR in Temple history. I consider blue and Mack to be like 1A and 1B receivers not really 1-2.

I like a score of 45-20. Miami. We might get beat on a redzone fade to the big guy. And we saw what happened throughout last year against speedy WRs when we played UNC, Louisville, Florida, we don’t have the speed at CB Right now to win a foot race against this guy. I can see Blue breaking a 50+ yard touchdown with his 4.38 speed.

I don’t see the RB doing much this game. However if Miami LBs fail to maintain gap discipline the kid is good enough to gash us.

They have a ton of depth on the OL. But lost two 1st team All AAC interior OL. (The C and G) Good opportunity for Miami DTs to exploit that and prove they can be disruptive.

I expect our DEs to eat. But they have two solid tackles. Might temper my expectations there for game one. Beating up on their OTs would leave me very excited for the rest of the season.

I don’t think their defense is going to stop a **** thing. I’m expecting to score on most offensive possessions. These guys are going to be baaaaaad on D.

45-20 Let’s go Canes!

Score also factors us being rusty with quarantine and breaking in some new starters at LB.

You need to come to Florida because I need to buy you a beer or three.

Advertisement

Jadan Blue is the key to their offense, shut him down, you shut the whole thing down.

Need to put Alphonso Jr on him & get physical with him & lock him down for the game.

As for our Offense, just rewatch the SMU vs Temple game from last year & insert D'Eriq King.

The defensive tackle for temple Maijeh played at poly prep in Brooklyn with Blissett and first round pick Isaiah Wilson from Georgia to the Tennessee Titian’s.

Awesome breakdown man, great insight for sure. That game needs to be an absolute massacre for us. I’m talking about King putting up 400 all purpose yards and 4tds, Kosi or TVD goes in in the second half and leads a couple scoring drives also. I want 40 points MINIMUM!!!

I’m sorry but their T’s are going to get run over. If they can contain our pass rush it’s going to be a long season again.

Advertisement
Back