Miami vs Oklahoma for the 2000 BCS National Championship

Advertisement
I'm pretty sure Santana had an injured foot and played like it also. Defense gave up too many big plays also. If I remember, we started our comeback too late, if the game had been longer we could have won. Hats off to the old schedules when we played in big games all over the country.
Defense also couldn’t defend Jarramy Stevens that game. That is also about the most beautiful stadium that I have ever been to. Loud as ****, but that open end with the Puget Sound and mountains in the background with all of the megayachts in the marina. Too bad they will never play us again after 2001 hahaha

Yes. And with the cheap shot lingering he may have completed the pass Winston dropped
One thing I'll always remember is the local Penn State homer actually wrote an article that said we got screwed. And that absolutely proves we were. He also said that team showed a lot of guts fighting back after Ohio State punched them in the mouth.

If FSU had beaten OU and the AP named Miami national champs, how are we feeling about that?
It would’ve been a split Natty, right? AP voting us in, BCS and Coaches not, IIRC.

I distinctly remember yelling at the TV some proto-version of “You had one job, Noles.”

As for the OU matchup I think we’d win, but it would’ve been much closer than the Nebraska game.

Advertisement
We just needed our defense to play better vs LaTech since Dorsey was horrible. Oh well, it happens. Would have been nice to beat Vick, but that would have made the game different I'm afraid. We still win most likely.

Very true. But give me the Greens, Joseph, Dan the Man Morgan, Ed Reed, Campbell (RIP), Blades, Buchannon, etc, etc. all day every day...sure, there is going to be a let down against an inferior opponent, but when it matters most? BOOM

Advertisement
That was a sneaky good DL. Smith, Peterson, Anderson, Scott all had lengthy NFL careers.
That entire starting defense was drafted into the NFL, I hate them but they were not untalented. They just were not as talented as us.

OU had a sneaky good secondary with Thatcher, Jones, Strait, Williams, Everage. Calmus and Marshall at LB.

Santana and Reggie were unstoppable but the Stoops bros and Venables with a month to prepare would have had a nice little gameplan. Nobody gave Ohio State a chance but D'Antonio cooked up a good game plan and they expertly used Krenzel as a runner.

Butch always had us prepared for bowl games but I do think it would have been a close game due to OU's coaching.

They shut down the same FSU offense (minus Minnis) which put up 500+yards against us earlier that year.

Problem is they would not be able to cover Shockey. He would have single handily destroyed them.

Advertisement
All I remember about that OB was that was the only time in my life I rooted for F$U and they could not help us out.

IT was also Rainy and horrible from my recollection.

I think we would have struggled a bit due to that aforementioned weather but found a way to pull away in the 4th due to our Running game being superior to F$U's that day.

Something like 17-7.

All I know is that year pains me more than the Fiasco Bowls. That 2000 team was the best team by year's end and there was no doubt in my mind.

Only '88 makes me angrier.

There some games/events that no matter how many titles you win, they will always hurt like ****.

This, 2003 Fiesta, 1986 Fiesta - We could win 35 titles in the next 40 years and they will still sting.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back